• Vatanen

• Gardiner

Results are only viewable after voting.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
All advanced stats say Gardiner is an excellent 5v5 D-man and Gardiner has scored 84 points the past 1.75 seasons + seasons whereas Vatanen has scored 53 points. Get real.
Vatanen was playing with a bad shoulder last year, and since joining the Devils, he's on a 0.55 ppg, playing vs Top competition lol.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Gardiner is terrible in his own end, just awful. I don’t know enough about Vatanen’s game to compare but I’m well over Jake’s hot-streaks, where he produces enough offensively to dupe people into thinking he’s a good D.

So I picked Vatanen, because Vatanen didn’t almost cost us the game tonight.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think it was Gardiner over the last few seasons, but Vatanen with the Devils has been a top pairing guy and is logging some pretty tough minutes.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Vatanen is better defensively and was buried on the Ducks so his numbers were lower.

He’s clearly outplaying Gardiner this second half of the season with NJ. My money is on him continuing that and more with a better LD partner this off-season (kids moving up, acquisitions, etc)

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Care to elaborate on my point:
Fact A: The Leafs are the 6th best team in the league
Fact B: Gardiner is the 2nd best D on the 6th best team in the league.

If Fact A and B are correct, which they are, that makes Gardiner a #2 D-man.

A: The Pens are top 10 in the league
B: Malkin is the 2nd best C on a top 10 team

If A and B are correct, which they are, that makes Malkin.....

See, doesn't work that way.

Mar 14, 2011
Gardiner is terrible in his own end, just awful. I don’t know enough about Vatanen’s game to compare but I’m well over Jake’s hot-streaks, where he produces enough offensively to dupe people into thinking he’s a good D.

So I picked Vatanen, because Vatanen didn’t almost cost us the game tonight.
Way to knitpick, Gardiner does make bonehead mistake from time to time but his ability to cover the passing lanes, his transitional game and his effectiveness at preventing controlled zone entries is what makes him an effective Dman in his own end. If Gardiner is terrible at his defensive assignments then what does that say about the rest of the Leafs' top 4 (Rielly, Zaitsev and Hainsey) considering Jake has the best GA/60 (by a wide margin), xGA/60, HDCA/60 (high danger shots against), SA/60 and HDCF% (high danger corsi %) among the Leafs' top 4 Dmen. If that was the case, then Andersen really deserves the Vezna for playing behind the worst defensive top 4 ever assembled am I right?

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Vatanen is better defensively and was buried on the Ducks so his numbers were lower.

He’s clearly outplaying Gardiner this second half of the season with NJ. My money is on him continuing that and more with a better LD partner this off-season (kids moving up, acquisitions, etc)

False. Gardiner has put up an insane 72pt pace over his last 25 games. vatanen hasnt even come close. to say vatanen is clearly outplaying gardiner is hilarious

Since Jan 19th
Gardiner: 22pts, +10 in 25 games.
Vatanen: 16pts, -2 in in 26 games

Since last season

Gardiner: 85pts, +32 in 153 games
Vatanen: 54pts, -6 in 132 games

Gardiner, and it isnt close

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad