Value of: Vatanen to CAR/VGK/WPG/FLA for a 2nd + prospect?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
If the Devils trade Vatanen, his price is probably a 2nd with a good but not great prospect or, if there is some desperate GM, a 1st without any prospects.

At least Carolina, Vegas, Winnipeg and Florida are teams that needs a dman. Are these realistic or unrealistic targets for the Devils if they trade Vatanen to Carolina, Vegas, Winnipeg or Florida (if the price is a 2nd and a prospect)?

Carolina: Kuokkanen, Drury, Bokk or Fensore?
Vegas: Morozov, Diliberatore or Korczak?
Winnipeg: Chisholm, Harkins or Gawanke?
Florida: Gildon, Noel, Hutsko or Kolyachonok?

I picked these names from Scott Wheeler's 2020 NHL prospect pool rankings.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If a 2nd is assumed to be with any of those prospects, it probably makes a big difference which of the two 2nds, Rangers or Canes, we are talking about. That said, I can't see the organization also throwing in Bokk after just getting him this year. Drury I think is a possibility if the organization is nervous about him staying with Harvard. Fensore would be completely reasonable. Kuokkanen for me is an unknown. He's played very well in Charlotte, but I also think he is likely blocked for a while still at the NHL level, so he might be available.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets:

- I would say your values likely are fair.

- Jets management has stated publicly they are looking for long term solution on D and specifically stated they have no interest in short term guys or rentals. Might they change their mind if the price was cheap on a decent rental.....maybe.

- Personally I hope they stick to their guns and have no interest in rentals and trade for none of them.

Reactions: Verdoux

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Vegas organization seems to think highly of Morozov and Korczak. And Korczak is a RHD which Vegas isn't in a position to give away at any level.

Deliberatore is a good prospect who has taken strides and seems on an NHL path now. I could see him being included, or Schuldt (Hobey Baker finalist last season) because Vegas has LHD that they won't probably beat for a spot; Theodore, Hague, Schmidt, McNabb. Then there's another who could play in the NHL in Bischoff.

Reactions: Verdoux

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Of the four prospects listed for the Canes, I think Kuokkanen is right in the sweet spot for both sides if added to a 2nd. I wouldn't give up Bokk, don't think they're ready to bail on Drury, and while I think Fensore is an intriguing prospect, I think he might not be quite valuable enough. Kuokkanen is a very solid AHL player, and I think is ready for a full time chance in the NHL. I don't think that chance will come for the Canes at this point.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Before asking his value in trade, one should look at what value he would bring to the team. Aka he’s a poor fit.
Maybe for the Jets. I think Toronto could really use him. He's been the best positional defender on a poor team. Great shot suppresser which is really what the Leafs need.
Screen-Shot-2020-02-07-at-9.50.52-AM-575x475.png
upload_2020-2-11_17-48-7.png
upload_2020-2-11_17-49-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-11_17-48-4.png
    upload_2020-2-11_17-48-4.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: hn777 and Hunter368

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
If Dylan Samberg says he will not sign with the Jets and if it is at all possible to gauge at the deadline whether he will sign with the Devils after the NCAA season ends, that’s a one for one deal that would seem to make sense, especially since Samberg fits exactly into what the Devils want their defense to look like for the long term.

Reactions: north49er

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
If Dylan Samberg says he will not sign with the Jets and if it is at all possible to gauge at the deadline whether he will sign with the Devils after the NCAA season ends, that’s a one for one deal that would seem to make sense, especially since Samberg fits exactly into what the Devils want their defense to look like for the long term.

First off, there has not been any indication that Samberg has zero interest in signing with the Jets, but if hypothetically he wasn’t they wouldn’t be trading him for a rental.

Unless Vatanen is signing an extension, the Jets would likely be looking at trading for picks or prospects with more team control.

Vatanen would improve their blue line immensely, but he alone does not make them a contender this season. They’d be better off trying to sign him in the summer than expending assets at the deadline with no guarantee they can retain him.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
I'm alright with both. Vatanen straight up for Rangers second or for Car second + Kuokkanen. I'm optimistic Vatanen could resign in Carolina. Seems to fit his mentality and roots.

Reactions: LAINEC

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
“hockeyguru” Tell me more about what you know about the devils best defenseman and best defenseman on the trade market :rolleyes:

He is worth a first at minimum
Is he the best D available? Martinez and Dillon are also available and Minny is apparently listening to offers on Dumba and Brodie. Not to mention Anaheim is open to trading D as well.
Depending on factors there is a possibility he could bring in a first.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
First off, there has not been any indication that Samberg has zero interest in signing with the Jets, but if hypothetically he wasn’t they wouldn’t be trading him for a rental.

Unless Vatanen is signing an extension, the Jets would likely be looking at trading for picks or prospects with more team control.

Vatanen would improve their blue line immensely, but he alone does not make them a contender this season. They’d be better off trying to sign him in the summer than expending assets at the deadline with no guarantee they can retain him.

The Jets are in the playoff picture right now and Vatanen will help them solidify that and potentially do well once they get there. A year ago, they traded a first round pick for Kevin Hayes. Trading a sunk cost (again, assuming my premise that Samberg doesn't want to play for the Jets) for a player like Vatanen, rental or not, is a steal, relatively speaking.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The Jets are in the playoff picture right now and Vatanen will help them solidify that and potentially do well once they get there. A year ago, they traded a first round pick for Kevin Hayes. Trading a sunk cost (again, assuming my premise that Samberg doesn't want to play for the Jets) for a player like Vatanen, rental or not, is a steal, relatively speaking.
One player isn't going to make or break the Jets as a playoff team. It definitely isn't worth the Jets giving up a good, young player this year for a rental. We'll just see if Vatanen wants to sign here in the summer.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Sorry, as much of an upgrade Vatanen is, the defensive scheme Maurice has them playing is a train wreck. Vatanen won’t change that. They’re winning right now because of their offense and goaltending stealing games. St. Louis, Dallas and Colorado will make short work of them come playoffs when defense’s shut things down.

Chevy and Maurice have already stated that they wouldn’t be renting anybody. They’ll be looking players with term. They’ve mortgaged firsts two years in a row and the strength of this organization is draft and develop. If they’re moving a player like Samberg, it’s for a player that will be around past mid April.

Hey, I’d love Vatanen on the Jets, I really would, but I’m not mortgaging a first or a top prospect without assurance he’s re-signing with the Jets. If your assumption of Samberg is correct, I’m dealing him for some other team’s similarly unproven prospects or more additional picks for our scouting department to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad