Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Disappointed in that we have a GM that can't do anything beyond amateur drafting. NHL rewards bad GM'ing via higher draft position. I question our player development (beyond those that are blue chip prospects like Hughes or Horvat; or non-goalies).

I used to have that stance. I was posting on the tanker thread for 5 straight years, but every now and then, one should do an internal audit of your positions. Jimbo is not a smart man by any means, but he does exhibit a (very latent) ability to learn on the job.
Roussel was an astute signing, trading away Guddy for Pearson is good asset management. Acquiring Leivo was being opportunistic of another teams misfortune. Getting Edler to sign for 2 years only demonstrates an ability to play hardball with important pieces (he could've cratered a la Nylander), targeting Miller paid off and gave him a win in pro scouting. The development of Gaudette, Madden, and dePietro (rathbone?) is promising for amateur scouting beyond the obvious.

I'm happy that I can post this after continually slagging him for 3-4 years. If we do make the playoffs then it will be a decently successful rebuild (~6 years??), unlike the complete tirefire that we envisioned before the emergence of the church of Pettersson post Sedin retirement.

It's too early to worry about ViPod, he does soo many things well, rookies don't do well in KHL, and he's decent in the V, let's just extend our vision and wait for his encore in WJC. His M.O. fits our team need to a tee, IMO it was a worthy gamble at #10, Ratanens are exceptions not the rule, no one behind him is doing exceptional except Caufield and Kaliyev and their problems were never simply performance related.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Horvat was drafted 10th overall - you don't consider that a blue chip prospect?
If you look back at the history of 10th overall, not that many players had turned out to be a star.

What I meant to say was Horvat didn’t really light out the OHL during his draft and D+1 season to be considered a blue chip prospect at the time

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I used to have that stance. I was posting on the tanker thread for 5 straight years, but every now and then, one should do an internal audit of your positions. Jimbo is not a smart man by any means, but he does exhibit a (very latent) ability to learn on the job.
Roussel was an astute signing, trading away Guddy for Pearson is good asset management. Acquiring Leivo was being opportunistic of another teams misfortune. Getting Edler to sign for 2 years only demonstrates an ability to play hardball with important pieces (he could've cratered a la Nylander), targeting Miller paid off and gave him a win in pro scouting. The development of Gaudette, Madden, and dePietro (rathbone?) is promising for amateur scouting beyond the obvious.

I'm happy that I can post this after continually slagging him for 3-4 years. If we do make the playoffs then it will be a decently successful rebuild (~6 years??), unlike the complete tirefire that we envisioned before the emergence of the church of Pettersson post Sedin retirement.

It's too early to worry about ViPod, he does soo many things well, rookies don't do well in KHL, and he's decent in the V, let's just extend our vision and wait for his encore in WJC. His M.O. fits our team need to a tee, IMO it was a worthy gamble at #10, Ratanens are exceptions not the rule, no one behind him is doing exceptional except Caufield and Kaliyev and their problems were never simply performance related.
In other words
Not everything he touches turn into turd, people need to get off with that lazy take

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

this is about as good a take as one can give, bravo

Reactions: bcbill

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If you look back at the history of 10th overall, not that many players had turned out to be a star.

What I meant to say was Horvat didn’t really light out the OHL during his draft and D+1 season to be considered a blue chip prospect at the time
Fair enough - even I had questions about his draft production. I was just more so referring to the consensus view of him that he was a blue chip prospect due to his high floor and decently high ceiling. To me that's about as surefire as it gets (without getting into debates about ultimate upside and all that).

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Another pointless game for Pod in his VHL game today.

At some point, you need to be concerned about his production. Doesn't really matter if you do all the little things right if it's impossible for you to generate offense

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I agree that he's gotten better somewhat, and recent decisions seem to be working out better as well.

But you have to look at the body of work. And really, should it have taken five years for his GM skills to improve to "passable"? That's really just not acceptable.

I mean, your Pearson example really isn't good asset management. It's a demonstration of taking years to finally try to rectify what was an incredibly obviously bad decision at the time. He turned McCann + high second rounder > Gudbranson > extending Gudbranson > Pearson in a tank season. We'd have been much better off with McCann then and today, and also have another prospect.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He turned McCann + high second rounder > Gudbranson > extending Gudbranson > Pearson in a tank season. We'd have been much better off with McCann then and today, and also have another prospect.
No one disagrees with any of this. He's evaluating a separate trade that took place years later.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I agree that he's gotten better somewhat, and recent decisions seem to be working out better as well.

But you have to look at the body of work. And really, should it have taken five years for his GM skills to improve to "passable"? That's really just not acceptable.

I mean, your Pearson example really isn't good asset management. It's a demonstration of taking years to finally try to rectify what was an incredibly obviously bad decision at the time. He turned McCann + high second rounder > Gudbranson > extending Gudbranson > Pearson in a tank season. We'd have been much better off with McCann then and today, and also have another prospect.

I get everything you're saying. I used to froth at the mouth when you mention his name for many years. But this is an example of not reassessing Jimbo after years of being bullied by his boneheadedness. Today. He has made more good decisions than bad ones. It's like Virtanen, we suffered through 4 years of mediocrity from him, and this year he's showing signs that he's finding a role in our middle six. Do you judge him based on his "body of work"? Do you continually criticize him for taking this many years to get it? Or accept a more responsible Jake with more consistent effort and results and keep him around?

Jimbo looks like a better GM today, in an ideal world, some poor organisation grooms a guy and then we sign him and enjoy the fruits of their labour. Saaay, like JT Miller. But I urge the anti Benning crowd to put the nightmare first 4 seasons aside, reassess, and give this more developed Benning another chance.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Another pointless game for Pod in his VHL game today.

At some point, you need to be concerned about his production. Doesn't really matter if you do all the little things right if it's impossible for you to generate offense

He played 14:13, which is like ... 3rd line ice time? Really have to wonder if he's getting deployed like a 3rd liner in this league, what is going on there. Not a good sign to be sure.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
He played 14:13, which is like ... 3rd line ice time? Really have to wonder if he's getting deployed like a 3rd liner in this league, what is going on there. Not a good sign to be sure.

His 14 minutes is better than his previous 11-12 minute games, even at the VHL level.

At some point, we have to draw the line on his actual ability as a player. If he cannot drive a 3rd line in the VHL in his draft +1 season as a highly touted prospect, then I dunno what we have here. He will be playing out his 2 years too without us having any control over his development. Unfortunate circumstances that is trending in the wrong direction rigth now.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
It's funny the only two guys that are exceeding expectations that were close to where Podkolzin was picked are Soderstrom and Seider. Both are players everybody on here did not want the Canucks to touch.

Weird claim. I wouldn't have minded either.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
because people are losing their minds. Blah blah this and that, wrong pick yada yada yada.

It’s very fair to critique aspects of Podkolzin’s game right now. Why wouldn’t you?

For Pod’s draft, everyone had a different selection after Zegras. Boldly would have made sense if they wanted the rounded player. Newhook/Krebs for the skill. Soderstrom for the dman. Whatever the case, they went with what they felt was the last best all-around talent. It made sense in that regard. Now, he’s got to prove them right.

Wrong selection at the time though? No, not in any clear sense. So please drop the drama.

Reactions: racerjoe

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Doubt he sees much time in the AHL. No incentive for him to come over to play for 100K riding the bus.

no he won’t but part of his first professional contract will be playing in the ahl if he is not suitable for the nhl yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->