Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I guess to play a little devil's advocate here, informed choice doesn't mean he made the right decision. Players often believe in themselves and Podkolzin probably figures he will average about 10 minutes of ice time in his draft +1 year at least and then a more prominent role in his second. But there has been a coaching change as well. Like I said, his team seems weaker than usual this year so there are opportunities to be had for Pods to earn more ice time.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That can also be true, but there's no point in wringing hands over it now. The best we can do is hope he earns some extra ice. Either way, he'll log big minutes in international play so this could be seen as a year where he focuses more on drills and conditioning and only really plays a series of high-pressure tournaments. In that light things don't look entirely terrible.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
That can also be true, but there's no point in wringing hands over it now. The best we can do is hope he earns some extra ice. Either way, he'll log big minutes in international play so this could be seen as a year where he focuses more on drills and conditioning and only really plays a series of high-pressure tournaments. In that light things don't look entirely terrible.
Nonsense really what your saying again, your trying to make a DISASTER situation seem reasoable. Your like those broadcasters on who keep trying to tell us we should be optimistic about the Canucks and their future. Turning out to be a nother BRUTAL top 10 pick. So far 3 big misses and 1 home run.

Shitty numbers

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Nonsense really what your saying again, your trying to make a DISASTER situation seem reasoable. Your like those broadcasters on who keep trying to tell us we should be optimistic about the Canucks and their future. Turning out to be a nother BRUTAL top 10 pick. So far 3 big misses and 1 home run.

****ty numbers
Are you statwatching the KHL? Teenagers very rarely put up big numbers in that league.

Reactions: bh53

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Are you statwatching the KHL? Teenagers very rarely put up big numbers in that league.
Get him OUT of that nonsense backwords Russian league then. We need him to develop, not sit on a bench watching hockey. I can do that. He shouldnt

Reactions: Omark

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I think the biggest problem is ice time, or the total lack of it.

How does any prospect develop with the ice time this kid is getting?

Reactions: racerjoe

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Get him OUT of that nonsense backwords Russian league then. We need him to develop, not sit on a bench watching hockey. I can do that. He shouldnt

Given the restrictions in place around him buying out his own contract, how exactly do you propose that the Canucks do that?

I think the biggest problem is ice time, or the total lack of it.

How does any prospect develop with the ice time this kid is getting?

Practice. One-on-one coaching sessions with the coaches and senior players. Time spent watching game tape. Working out in a professional hockey team environment. Playing in tournaments.

Those are a few.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
From what I've seen of his play, and considering what team he is on, I'm not even a little worried. Now if this were to continue for an extended period of time, then it would bother me.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Just being with a pro team practicing with men is already good for his development. He is the 13th forward who will get a chance when someone struggles or is injured. If he gets a chance and earns a spot in the top 12 but is still used this way, then that's different. That could actually work well for us since he may decide to come over after this season.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Horvat was a "disaster" of a 9th overall pick on these boards until 3 years after he was drafted.

Looking forward to the new ride.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
People at the time were questioning if Horvat could be an effective 3rd line skater due to his skating and lack of offensive instincts. There were a lot of people on this board who wanted to take Nichushkin instead.
So that is calling him a "disaster" then, eh?

Reactions: Jyrki21

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm really not too hung up on what Podkolzin does in the KHL, or how much ice time he gets as an 18-year old. Just practicing and scrimmaging with 10-year pros will do him a lot of good, and then there's always the WJC and international tournaments against his age cohort.

Frankly, he's probably better off there than riding the busses in Utica and fighting with AHL journeyman for ice-time. We've seen how that turns out.

Reactions: Nomobo

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
People at the time were questioning if Horvat could be an effective 3rd line skater due to his skating and lack of offensive instincts. There were a lot of people on this board who wanted to take Nichushkin instead.

And there were a ton of people who loved the Horvat pick on this board. The claim that Horvat was seen as a disaster of a pick on this board was simply not true. Opinions were very much split and I would argue the more people looked into their D+1 seasons, the more they saw that Horvat was a quality pick.

Reactions: TraderJim

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
He is being a bit extreme in his disaster of a pick statement, but many after the draft (thats at present where podkolzin is just starting his d+1 season) did question the upside of the pick and passing up on nichushkin. As with all things that was not everyones take but there was a large vocal crowd who felt that way after the draft. Horvat had a very good D+1 although i remember some did not like his WJC and some london fans were upset at him and domi in the ohl playoffs.

One thing about this forum when it comes to prospects is people are extreme in both directions. Positive or negative.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And there were a ton of people who loved the Horvat pick on this board. The claim that Horvat was seen as a disaster of a pick on this board was simply not true. Opinions were very much split and I would argue the more people looked into their D+1 seasons, the more they saw that Horvat was a quality pick.

There were a couple people who vocally wanted Nichushkin but opinions were generally positive.

I wanted Domi as I thought he had more dynamic upside but was happy with Horvat. In 2014 I was comparing aspects of his game to Jarome Iginla and in some ways I’m actually a bit disappointed with how he developed. Other ways very pleased.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So that is calling him a "disaster" then, eh?

People are calling the same development from Virtanene a disaster and that was a 3 spot difference so I'd say it counts.

We're not even giving Podz that much time before the usual hot take brigade is calling him a disaster of a pick. If kids like Neddam ot Sehguh were around back then they'd have called Horvat a disaster too.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Imagine one day rising to a level where we will be able to hold people accountable for their own individual opinions and not hold them accountable for a manufactured consensus opinion of the boards as a whole which is based on extrapolating from a vocal minority representing the extreme.

Dare to dream.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I'm really not too hung up on what Podkolzin does in the KHL, or how much ice time he gets as an 18-year old. Just practicing and scrimmaging with 10-year pros will do him a lot of good, and then there's always the WJC and international tournaments against his age cohort.

Frankly, he's probably better off there than riding the busses in Utica and fighting with AHL journeyman for ice-time. We've seen how that turns out.
Aren’t those 2 things pretty much the exact same thing in the end?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
People are calling the same development from Virtanene a disaster and that was a 3 spot difference so I'd say it counts.

Virtanen’s development was largely a disaster. I have no idea what you’re arguing here.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Virtanen’s development was largely a disaster. I have no idea what you’re arguing here.

The argument is that if Horvat had only reached the 3rd liner predictions that were put on him when he was drafted that this would also be a disaster. Given that posters here don't think that people were highly critical of the Horvat pick early into his D+1 season and don't think that picking a projected 3rd liner at 9th overall is a disaster it seems fair to bring up a 6th OA pick that is at that level to see if people really think that level of development from a top 10 pick qualifies as a disaster.

This isn't hard to follow Pip. Try to keep up.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Nope, that is just plain making things up. Your argument is weak as shit if you have to change targets. Stick to the real truth and not some shifting goalposts.

But you aren't here to make real arguments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad