Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Not really.

Sedin.
Bonino
Richardson.

That was solid.
Bonino-Burr and Higgins was a good matchup line.

Richardson-Matthias-Kassian was also solid.

Horvat starting on the 4th line and earning more opportunities through good play was perfectly normal.
That season I agree.

The problem was the following seasons where WD kept him on the fourth line to start the season - even if 16-17 lol

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
a 10th overall pick won't start out in the AHL, especially when he has been playing pro hockey for two years. It will be the NHL for him

ummm

You may wanna go thru the last 20 #10 overall picks and see how they started.

Bouchard , Tippett, Rantanen .... the list goes on and on. It’s way way more likely a 10 overall starts in the minors.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
With the guy that Benning had earmarked as a future 2C for the Canucks - Linden Vey.

Looks like both the youngsters are getting a shot with Vey.

Yeah, Vey has craved out quite the KHL career. Those agegaps were some of the darkest times in Canuckland :laugh:

PenderB

Jun 9, 2019
ummm

You may wanna go thru the last 20 #10 overall picks and see how they started.

Bouchard , Tippett, Rantanen .... the list goes on and on. It’s way way more likely a 10 overall starts in the minors.
That’s true but his first 2 years after the draft he’s in Russia instead of the minors. I think when he’s here he’s here to stay. Probably bottom 6 when he arrives later this season.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

confidence seems to be growing. He could really gain some momentum here in the next few months.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That season I agree.

The problem was the following seasons where WD kept him on the fourth line to start the season - even if 16-17 lol

I think you mistook Horvat with McCann.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think you should go and look back.

Horvat started the 16-17 campaign centering Burrows and Dorsett.

Isn't 16/17 his 3rd year?

IIRC, Horvat was the matchup 2C in his 2nd year because they were masquerading Sutter on the first line RW spot.

Wasn't he playing with Vrbata, that's why they were both vying for the green jacket (worst minus in the league)? I thought it was Bo with Sven and Vrbata but being utilized against other teams better lines?

Wasn't 16/17 the season that Sven, Bo and Jake had that really good preseason, then Jake got buried and Bo and Sven were tied at the hip?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Podkolzin only played 12:55 today for all you ice time whiners. Hockey. KHL. Regular Season. Game number 282 12 Nov 2020: Vityaz-SKA (online)

If you ever bother to look at the ice time that coach gives out, it's always spread throughout the team. Very rarely do players play 20+ minutes.

It sure makes those complaining about averaging 12 minutes a night look silly IMO. He's had two bad usage games but I didn't watch and I guarantee most of you didn't watch, so we can't say if it was discipline for mistakes. Today, Groshev took a dumb penalty and it cost him, he barely got used after. That's just the way it goes for young guys learning.

I'm pleased with his ice time all season so far. I was only able to watch the first today and it was pretty dishevelved with all the penalties. I didn't think that line was working( Vey with Pod and Marchenko) because they were in their own end a lot, but that looked to have changed. I only saw the twitter clips of his points after and the production is nice, hopefully he can build on it.

Reactions: Magnifico

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nice to see the promotion and then have some production to warrant keeping him in a prominent role.

Horvat did start his 2nd year on the 4th line. McCann had a great camp and was for a few games playing in a scoring role above Horvat. Obviously it didn't last very long but it was Willie being Willie

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Nice to see the promotion and then have some production to warrant keeping him in a prominent role.

Horvat did start his 2nd year on the 4th line. McCann had a great camp and was for a few games playing in a scoring role above Horvat. Obviously it didn't last very long but it was Willie being Willie
Game 1 of the 15/16 season he was playing exclusively with Sven and Vrbata.

I just sporadically looked at a few of the games from the start of that season on NaturalStattrick and Bo was definitely not a 4th liner in his 2nd season. They forced Dorsett up the lineup, but that didn't mean Bo wasn't playing top 6 minutes.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Podkolzin only played 12:55 today for all you ice time whiners. Hockey. KHL. Regular Season. Game number 282 12 Nov 2020: Vityaz-SKA (online)

If you ever bother to look at the ice time that coach gives out, it's always spread throughout the team. Very rarely do players play 20+ minutes.

It sure makes those complaining about averaging 12 minutes a night look silly IMO. He's had two bad usage games but I didn't watch and I guarantee most of you didn't watch, so we can't say if it was discipline for mistakes. Today, Groshev took a dumb penalty and it cost him, he barely got used after. That's just the way it goes for young guys learning.

I'm pleased with his ice time all season so far. I was only able to watch the first today and it was pretty dishevelved with all the penalties. I didn't think that line was working( Vey with Pod and Marchenko) because they were in their own end a lot, but that looked to have changed. I only saw the twitter clips of his points after and the production is nice, hopefully he can build on it.

Gusev in his best KHL season played 15:52 averagely, and he was the best player of the league. SKA isn't your typical NHL team regarding TOI distribution.

Reactions: Magnifico

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Game 1 of the 15/16 season he was playing exclusively with Sven and Vrbata.

I just sporadically looked at a few of the games from the start of that season on NaturalStattrick and Bo was definitely not a 4th liner in his 2nd season. They forced Dorsett up the lineup, but that didn't mean Bo wasn't playing top 6 minutes.
Maybe your right as i was just going by memory. I thought Willie D had started him on the 4th line but caved within short order.

edit...yes that was his 3rd year. Willie did some stupid stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathonwy

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Gusev in his best KHL season played 15:52 averagely, and he was the best player of the league. SKA isn't your typical NHL team regarding TOI distribution.
I know, I actually try and get a handle on situations before I start complaining. Who knew 12:55 with Vey would be seen as such a great opportunity? A whole whopping 1 minute above his season average TOI.

Maybe the complainers should actually try and understand what it is they're complaining about, but I don't blame them, no hockey over here and the Van media hasn't got much else to discuss, so they're inventing narratives.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I know, I actually try and get a handle on situations before I start complaining. Who knew 12:55 with Vey would be seen as such a great opportunity? A whole whopping 1 minute above his season average TOI.

Maybe the complainers should actually try and understand what it is they're complaining about, but I don't blame them, no hockey over here and the Van media hasn't got much else to discuss, so they're inventing narratives.

I read that KHL has expanded lineups compared to the NHL so there can also be some "5th line" players taking a shift or two.

Vey is not a good NHL player but he's clearly a pretty good playmaking C in other leagues.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Maybe your right as i was just going by memory. I thought Willie D had started him on the 4th line but caved within short order.

edit...yes that was his 3rd year. Willie did some stupid stuff.
Yep.

It caused quite a stir and there was forum talk about Bo needing to "put in his time" versus "wtf is are you doing you idiot coach".

Year 2 Bo was promoted from 3C to 2C because balls of steel needed a hysterectomy or something.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Here's some context again on his TOI averages....

Overall - 20GP 12:00TOI
Covid games - 5GP 17:36TOI
Without Covid games - 15GP 10:09TOI

Hmmmm

Anyway, I've been advocating for Podkolzin to get true 3rd line mins with some special teams mixed in (like he earned in the 2nd half + playoffs last season), but that hasn't happened. Outside a the Covid games (where SKA was missing almost all their top 9 forwards), Podkolzin has played largely on the 4th line, and hasn't seen PP/PK time. It seems obvious that his TOI is being floated by the Covid games.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Here's some context again on his TOI averages....

Overall - 20GP 12:00TOI
Covid games - 5GP 17:36TOI
Without Covid games - 15GP 10:09TOI

Hmmmm

Anyway, I've been advocating for Podkolzin to get true 3rd line mins with some special teams mixed in (like he earned in the 2nd half + playoffs last season), but that hasn't happened. Outside a the Covid games (where SKA was missing almost all their top 9 forwards), Podkolzin has played largely on the 4th line, and hasn't seen PP/PK time. It seems obvious that his TOI is being floated by the Covid games.
Kind of cherry picking he’s over 11:48 in 12 of 20 games.
Not sure why the Covid games don’t count.
10 minutes of even strength is more than Travis Green gives his 4th line.
Look at the minutes per game at forward in the team there isn’t a big spread like you see in the nhl with 4 or 5 guys getting 18-20 then a few at 13-14 then 9-10. They are trend to be between 11-17 on average.

I think some folks are a bit too worked up. He plays. In a top league. Regularly.

Marchenko has been more productive he gets moved up more often.

KHL tracks time on attack and Podkolzin seems to be low even in his higher minute games. I don’t think it’s a case of in fair treatment. It’s a case of a teen not earning his ice time in a top league.

I guess that’s all I’ll say for now.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Kind of cherry picking he’s over 11:48 in 12 of 20 games.
Not sure why the Covid games don’t count.
10 minutes of even strength is more than Travis Green gives his 4th line.
Look at the minutes per game at forward in the team there isn’t a big spread like you see in the nhl with 4 or 5 guys getting 18-20 then a few at 13-14 then 9-10. They are trend to be between 11-17 on average.

I think some folks are a bit too worked up. He plays. In a top league. Regularly.

Marchenko has been more productive he gets moved up more often.

KHL tracks time on attack and Podkolzin seems to be low even in his higher minute games. I don’t think it’s a case of in fair treatment. It’s a case of a teen not earning his ice time in a top league.

I guess that’s all I’ll say for now.

Not cherry picking at all, just acknowledging that of the 12 games over 11:48, 5 are massively inflated due to most of SKA's top 9 being out with Covid, and Podkolzin being forced into a top 6 role. If the team hadn't suffered from Covid, would Podkolzin have received that kind of ice time?

As for Marchenko....Through the 1st 8 games this season, he and Podkolzin both had 1G + 1A. Both started the 1st 4 game with similar deployment, but after scoring 2 pts in his 1st 4 games (averaging ~11:47TOI) Podkolzin saw 9:11, 8:21, 6:40, and 8:37TOI over the next 4 games for an average of 8:12TOI. Marchenko on the other hand didn't record a point in his 1st 6 games (averaging 11:26TOI), and then coming off a minus 3 performance in game 6 got promoted to the top 6 with PP time. Kirill would scored 1G 1A in game 7/8 of the season (playing 14:47, and 16:25).

Then Covid hit, and Marchenko was one of the players who would miss ~2 weeks (he missed 8 games total). Podkolzin would be forced into the top 6 (True top 6 role with PP + PK) for the next 5 games, and would be played on the top line for 3 games after that with no special team mins. As soon as Marchenko returned, Pokolzin was sent back to the 4th line playing 10:47, 8:37, 3:52, and 12:55 (from today), while only playing 4 out of the next 8 KHL games.

Marchenko was gifted top 6 mins with PP time, and took advantage, while Podkolzin was forced into that role without veteran support (He played well, but 17+ mins is too much for him at the KHL level), and when the vets returned he dropped to the 4th line again. Podkolzin hasn't played top 6 mins with PP time outside of the 5 Covid game when SKA had no choice. Look at the TOI for the top line today Marchenko 14:59TOI (3:46 time on attack), Vey 14:48 (3:47 TOA), and Podkolzin 12:55 (2:01 TOA), so you can see the difference was Marchenko and Vey saw PP time.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad