Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I have a prediction about Pod which is 100% correct. Per HFboards-Cancuks, If he pans out and become a star, he automatically becomes a Judd Brackett's pick, if he ends up being a bust, he's Jimbo's pick.
:popcorn:
Haven’t we been through this, and Pods was a Bracket (scouting staff) pick? I think it was Hoglander that Benning changed up the scouting department’s draft board to pick, no?
That’s why I’m confident Pods will be great, but I have concerns about Hoglander.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I love this Thread. A sanctuary of positivity. Thank you to those who have been providing clips & updates.

Very excited for him to join our Boys. This is how I envision him on the ice while an opponent tries to take liberties with one of our young stars.

A66DF3D6-5F33-46E6-BA11-CDEEB9A89D13.gif

(Pods is the bus)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I love this Thread. A sanctuary of positivity. Thank you to those who have been providing clips & updates.

Very excited for him to join our Boys. This is how I envision him on the ice while an opponent tries to take liberties with one of our young stars.

View attachment 375771
(Pods is the bus)
I think Pods will be the youngest. He turns (if I’m right?) 20 next July.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
From the wing? Center position gets alot more opportunity for setting up plays. Since watching him, I have wondered if they could turn this kid into a center, that's rarely done by organizations, however the canucks did recently do that with Pettersson and it worked out. I would love to see them explore that avenue, based on his skillset (defensive game and passing.. plus his strength)
Hi. I just realized that you are a New Member. Always good to see someone who brings something positive

but not blindly.
966B7148-4184-4C96-B396-6083E3E7556D.gif

Glad you decided to move in with us
030FD7E4-64B6-49B2-8BE9-C85EA050D9D7.gif
8D5F7890-FF73-4592-B335-6DE33EF19C61.gif

Welcome to HF Canucks

Reactions: Grantham

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whew!....those highlights of Podkolzin's leg buckling under him are hard to watch....but like Gumpy, apparently no significant injury and he returned to play his next shift.

Russian Under-20 team captained by Podkolzin wins the Karjala Cup tournament despite playing teams with much older rosters. A promising sign for the upcoming WJHC tournament next month in Alberta.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Haven’t we been through this, and Pods was a Bracket (scouting staff) pick? I think it was Hoglander that Benning changed up the scouting department’s draft board to pick, no?
That’s why I’m confident Pods will be great, but I have concerns about Hoglander.
This is incorrect. If anything GMs have more say in the first round picks than anyone.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I have a prediction about Pod which is 100% correct. Per HFboards-Cancuks, If he pans out and become a star, he automatically becomes a Judd Brackett's pick, if he ends up being a bust, he's Jimbo's pick.
:popcorn:

There's already a report out there that Benning wanted to trade down and Brackett pushed for Podkolzin.

Reactions: bh53

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I want to clarify my prior post about not seeing Podkolzin as a playmaker. What I mean is that I don't see Podkolzin as the playmaker on a line and not that he doesn't have playmaking skills.

Lmao, what kind of logic is this?

I see him as a player who constantly tries to take the puck to the net. In basketball terms he's not a drive and dish guy but a drive and shoot guy. That doesn't mean he's incapable of setting up his teammates when the option to shoot isn't there.

That's a strange post. That's all he's looking to do. He has one offensive move he tries multiple times a game, which is doing it all himself and driving the net with a soft shot on net, or else he's looking to set up teammates. He is constantly looking to pass, he actually doesn't like to shoot the puck, which is why he does the carry and drive to the net. When you know you don't have much of a shot, you base your game around your passing game, which is what he's done. I understand most players who drive the net and have that as one of their goto moves aren't usually passers but this is exactly the case with this player.

He's honestly quite patient with the puck and gets to open ice very well, in order to receive a pass in order to set somebody up for a goal. He moves the puck around the offensive zone quite well, he just can't finish off a play, nor can some of his linemates

I disagree. Podkolzin is primarily a shooter. I have not read a scouting report on Podkolzin mentioning that he can be too unselfish at times and preferred to pass instead of shoot. I have, however, read the opposite.

There's a difference between being a good playmaker and being a playmaking forward on a line. Podkolzin may be the former but that doesn't make him the latter. Brock Boeser is a good playmaker but he's more sniper than playmaker.

From what I have seen of Podkolzin, I don't see him as a player who is constantly looking to set up his teammates. I think he looks for his own shot but when it isn't there he is capable of finding his teammates.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thomas Drance speculating that it's too they couldn't just keep Podkolzin in Canada once the WJHC tournament is finished in January.

How much would cost for Podkolzin to simply buy his way out of the last fourth months of his contract with SKA St. Petersberg? It's not like he's playing any meaningful minutes in the KHL anyway. And as an 18-year rookie, he can't be earning very much.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Thomas Drance speculating that it's too they couldn't just keep Podkolzin in Canada once the WJHC tournament is finished in January.

How much would cost for Podkolzin to simply buy his way out of the last fourth months of his contract with SKA St. Petersberg? It's not like he's playing any meaningful minutes in the KHL anyway. And as an 18-year rookie, he can't be earning very much.

I'd much rather he stay in Russia. Last year after the world Juniors he got some serious minutes. Even if he isn't playing he's spending time with some of the best skills coaches in the world.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I'd much rather he stay in Russia. Last year after the world Juniors he got some serious minutes. Even if he isn't playing he's spending time with some of the best skills coaches in the world.
The worst case scenario is he stays in russia.
Guy gets jerked around there completely, It's a complete joke.
Either bounced around on lines, leagues, low minutes, average minutes, its awful.
No wonder he has problems with consistency getting points in the KHL with all this shit going on.
Sooner he gets to the NHL/AHL the better for him significantly.

Reactions: Stardustforever

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
I disagree. Podkolzin is primarily a shooter. I have not read a scouting report on Podkolzin mentioning that he can be too unselfish at times and preferred to pass instead of shoot. I have, however, read the opposite.

There's a difference between being a good playmaker and being a playmaking forward on a line. Podkolzin may be the former but that doesn't make him the latter. Brock Boeser is a good playmaker but he's more sniper than playmaker.

From what I have seen of Podkolzin, I don't see him as a player who is constantly looking to set up his teammates. I think he looks for his own shot but when it isn't there he is capable of finding his teammates.

Well agree to disagree, I am quite surprised there's people who think this to be honest, I would be curious how many people think he is primarily a shooter, would be interested in seeing a poll because that's quite confusing. He likes his one goto offensive move that is selfish and I believe that's what people are commenting on, he uses it a couple times a game, especially when nothing is being generated and he wants to take something into his own hands because he knows he has the skillset to be able to get the puck to the net. A chance is a chance. But otherwise, when he's in the offensive zone and has other teammates there, I don't even see him calculating any way to get the puck in the net, the tunnel vision kicks in and he thinks, okay who do i pass to to set up. Its especially painful on the PP, he always parks himself near the net but never in a way to be the one to whack in the rebound (always back to the goalie), or retrieve the rebound, it's always to screen so somebody else can get the goal, or behind the net to pass to somebody else, or he's QBing the PP from the half wall (closer to the boards) and solely looking to pass. Hes never ever positioned in a way to shoot the puck.

When his linemates get offensive pressure, podkolzin only finds open ice to continue the passing play, he doesn't position himself in shooting spots. He doesn't pass off and goto get the puck back to shoot. He honestly reminds me of the sedins once in the offensive zone with his board work and looking to pass off and not interested at all on being the one to finish off a play. What he does when he is on a rush play doesn't really matter because honestly, the best thing to do is shoot, so it's good that he does. You would expect any skilled player to at lower levels. I would imagine he will be passing off on those rush plays in the NHL because his shot won't be beating any NHL goalie. Also I dont expect his game to be scoring off the rush, theyre going to utilize his board play, which is where you're going to see him dish off to a scoring center/winger, which is what he's been doing.

Even if I agreed with your statement, the fact would still remain that his goal scoring vision & shot is poor and his passing vision is actually quite good, so in the NHL, it is hard to imagine he won't play to his strengths with better finishers. It's unlikely he gets a pretty good shot and its very likely that his linemates will be able to finish off his strong rushes to the net, the way he likes to park behind the net and the way he drive the play. His two way play to take pucks away, this leads to assists. Not goals. So if he wanted to succeed and he didn't suddenly come out with a great shot suddenly (kesler style), then he would infact be a playmaking winger and the more he realizes this is his strength, the stronger that skill of his gets and the more he leans into it going forward

Obviously everything changes if he works on his shot to a point where he's now capable of goal scoring and changes his game a bit to reflect that

Either way I am very curious where his game goes because he's quite capable of going in several directions depending on where he grows his game the most

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The worst case scenario is he stays in russia.
Guy gets jerked around there completely, It's a complete joke.
Either bounced around on lines, leagues, low minutes, average minutes, its awful.
No wonder he has problems with consistency getting points in the KHL with all this shit going on.
Sooner he gets to the NHL/AHL the better for him significantly.

He will not be playing in the AHL. Like Tryamkin, he will have an out to go back to the KHL if he is sent down. And well he should. He'll have had 2 years as a pro; its not worth taking a chance with losing him for years. If he goes back to Russia, he will likely sign for multiple years.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
He will not be playing in the AHL. Like Tryamkin, he will have an out to go back to the KHL if he is sent down. And well he should. He'll have had 2 years as a pro; its not worth taking a chance with losing him for years. If he goes back to Russia, he will likely sign for multiple years.

NHL out-clauses don't get you out of your NHL contract. They allow the player to "force a loan" to a European team. Even if Pods exercised an out-clause he would still be bound by his 3-year ELC which is the only contract he can sign with the Canucks.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
NHL out-clauses don't get you out of your NHL contract. They allow the player to "force a loan" to a European team. Even if Pods exercised an out-clause he would still be bound by his 3-year ELC which is the only contract he can sign with the Canucks.

Understood. But he is unlikely to report to Utica when he has this option. I am sure that lots of teams would love to have him .. and pay him a lot more than he would get in Utica. If there even is a Utica this year. With covid cases spiking, who knows what we will see.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In the extremely unlikely event Podkolzin can't beat out the collection of muckers, grinders and overpaid, declining veterans the Canucks have on their third and fourth lines, then the best place for him would be back in the KHL probably.

But after watching those highlights from the Karjala Cup, once he gets plugged into the Canucks lineup they won't ever be able to get him out.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Understood. But he is unlikely to report to Utica when he has this option. I am sure that lots of teams would love to have him .. and pay him a lot more than he would get in Utica. If there even is a Utica this year. With covid cases spiking, who knows what we will see.
Pods is a high end star talent, who is definitely ready for the NHL. He’s going to be another shining star for us. :win:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Watching the highlights of the tournament it’s hard not to be excited about Podzolkin and his role on the Canucks. Him and Horvat would make two thirds of a heavy solid two way line that could really become dominant in the playoffs.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
No, the Canucks shouldn’t be worried about Vasili Podkolzin. Here’s why

Behind a paywall but here are some nice quotes

Jim Benning’s phone buzzed Sunday morning, shortly after the 2020 Karjala Cup had concluded with a Team Russia victory.
It was former Vancouver Giants general manager and current DEL coach Glen Hanlon reaching out. Hanlon was at the tournament scouting European players for his German team.
The text to Benning read: “Hope all is well. I’m watching (the) Podkolzin game today at the Karjala Cup and he’s a stud. Great for you guys. Be safe.”

Rhys Jessop, former amateur scout for the Florida Panthers, referenced that Podkolzin’s combination of forechecking and offensive skill reminds him of J.T. Miller.

“I’ve never really thought of that before, but I think that’s a good comparison,” said Benning. “The only difference right now is Miller’s got a deadly release on his shot, I haven’t seen that from Podkolzin so probably right now, I’d say Miller’s a better finisher. I talked to Podkolzin last week and checked up on him and he speaks really good English now, he’s working on his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad