Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Cleary has the Vision, puck skills and board work to be a top 6 forward. Needs to change his stick ASAP doesn't get much flex on it.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It is interesting that his defined problem area is always changing. First it was his skating, then it was his vision and now it is his shot. Seems like the first two are no longer mentioned, which is promising. He should be able to improve his shot quite easily, maybe Petterson can explain the 12 parts of taking a shot and teach him. Seriously though many players have improved their shots drastically in a short period of time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It is interesting that his defined problem area is always changing. First it was his skating, then it was his vision and now it is his shot. Seems like the first two are no longer mentioned, which is promising. He should be able to improve his shot quite easily, maybe Petterson can explain the 12 parts of taking a shot and teach him. Seriously though many players have improved their shots drastically in a short period of time.

I defended his skating last spring but thought it looked terrible on viewing this year. Not sure if it’s the higher level of competition or if there’s a fitness issue (was interesting that conditioning was used as a reason for his VHL demotion).

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020

This is due to people repeating what they hear I believe. His skating has never been "poor", his skating isn't dynamic and perhaps they are speaking that his overall skating isn't quite as good as his skills. Which it isn't. It's a bit clunky and due to his strength, his straight ahead speed is good, much like kassian.

Scouts have been inaccurately judging players speed and it being a limiting factor of them for ages. Horvat's skating didn't vastly improve, even when people were concerned about his skating, it's because he wasn't going around the ice spinning his wheels, you could see he was capable at any point of turning on the jets, he's always been a pretty strong skater but you just didn't see it often in games. He works smart, not hard. In the NHL, you don't have the option, the speed of the game will bring out the speed in the player.

Also his shot probably wasn't mentioned before because they figured it would progress with his game and age. When a player is pretty well rounded like Podkolzin is, they have to find some knock on him.

His vision was only ever questioned because people saw his straight ahead speed, driving the net, him being a winger and not putting up points. They were trying to find an answer for his lack of points.

So basically what I am saying is that the earlier concerns were minor concerns and were perhaps inaccurate, it's not that they were accurate/substantial concerns and that he adapted/grew in those areas. His shot is an actual concern, it's being accurately reported and is the underlying issue of why he wasnt drafted higher and isn't producing as much. Sometimes scouts and reporters get it wrong, in this case, they did

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
This has been evident to anybody who has even watched him over a handful of games, his lack of shot and hands in tight is quite obvious. Which is why I mentioned it's astounding it's not been talked about to death. I have seen countless twitter personalities reporting on his games, yet don't speak about it. The points are not there, simply for that reason. He is not getting more top minutes because of this reason. This is all it is.

Canucks have got plenty of finishers. If this kid can be the Adam Oates to a Brett Hull like Brock or Bo, and also provide the kind of energy to a line, thereby opening up space and time for a finisher, it's a match made in hockey heaven. We don't need every player to be able to do it all.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Canucks have got plenty of finishers. If this kid can be the Adam Oates to a Brett Hull like Brock or Bo, and also provide the kind of energy to a line, thereby opening up space and time for a finisher, it's a match made in hockey heaven. We don't need every player to be able to do it all.

I honestly don't see Podkolzin as a playmaker. His nickname is Raging Bull rather than "The Raging Wizard." Things can change and players' offensive games can evolve but right now I don't see him as a guy who is out there looking to set his teammates up.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
I honestly don't see Podkolzin as a playmaker. His nickname is Raging Bull rather than "The Raging Wizard." Things can change and players' offensive games can evolve but right now I don't see him as a guy who is out there looking to set his teammates up.

That's a strange post. That's all he's looking to do. He has one offensive move he tries multiple times a game, which is doing it all himself and driving the net with a soft shot on net, or else he's looking to set up teammates. He is constantly looking to pass, he actually doesn't like to shoot the puck, which is why he does the carry and drive to the net. When you know you don't have much of a shot, you base your game around your passing game, which is what he's done. I understand most players who drive the net and have that as one of their goto moves aren't usually passers but this is exactly the case with this player.

He's honestly quite patient with the puck and gets to open ice very well, in order to receive a pass in order to set somebody up for a goal. He moves the puck around the offensive zone quite well, he just can't finish off a play, nor can some of his linemates

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020

From the wing? Center position gets alot more opportunity for setting up plays. Since watching him, I have wondered if they could turn this kid into a center, that's rarely done by organizations, however the canucks did recently do that with Pettersson and it worked out. I would love to see them explore that avenue, based on his skillset (defensive game and passing.. plus his strength)

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Fairly quiet Period for Pod but he had another one on one partial break on the goal. By my count that's 5 partial one on ones with a power move but no goals. He really needs to work on elevating the puck on both the forehand and backhand in tight.

His signature power move is similar to this

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Lmao, what kind of logic is this?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The more I see Pods play the more I see the ex Oiler captain Ryan Smith. Puck hound, with skills, and a natural leader. Pods is going to be great on Bo’s wing. Bo probably scores 30 - 40 with Pods.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Can he come to the Canucks when his KHL season is over? I’m guessing the NHL season will end late again, maybe August or something.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
From the wing? Center position gets alot more opportunity for setting up plays. Since watching him, I have wondered if they could turn this kid into a center, that's rarely done by organizations, however the canucks did recently do that with Pettersson and it worked out. I would love to see them explore that avenue, based on his skillset (defensive game and passing.. plus his strength)

Wasn't center Pettersson's natural position though, and he only played wing in the SHL?

Reactions: bh53

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Can he come to the Canucks when his KHL season is over? I’m guessing the NHL season will end late again, maybe August or something.
I think I’ve read Pod’s KHL contract ends April 30th, 2021. So if Benning does his job Pods should be signed, sealed, and delivered to us May 1st, 2021. I doubt the NHL want to go up against the Olympics, which are scheduled (I think?) the last two weeks of July. So, depending on if we make the playoffs, Pods should be with us from May 1st until we are eliminated.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
I have a prediction about Pod which is 100% correct. Per HFboards-Cancuks, If he pans out and become a star, he automatically becomes a Judd Brackett's pick, if he ends up being a bust, he's Jimbo's pick.
:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad