Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Not much to talk about when it comes to this prospect. Solid prospect with good all around skills, however lacks the shot to produce. Is a pass first winger who understands that his shot needs work and probably why he's based his game around his passing. Unless he's rushing down the wing, Podkolzin is never looking for ways to get the puck in the net and that's due to his lack of shot. Needs to develop it to have any hope of being a top 9 player in the NHL. Sometimes helps when prospects get to the NHL as you have help from some of the best in the world. Everybody can discuss his odds based on point totals but why not speak about the player in detail, as the reason for every player failing or making it are for different reasons, those specific reasons have different odds. A player's shot improving to passable (while over excelling in other areas) is much more likely than somebody who is one dimensional, undersized, plays passively, not driven, etc.

He's still very much a project due to his shot and will be limited to a 3-4th liner unless it improves. Personally would have no problem picking him that high up again, simply based on the upside. Getting players like Tkachuk who have the body and strength, as well as the tools is a special treat.

Honestly I am quite shocked how little his shot is spoken about on boards or by media. Despite it being his glaring flaw. I believe it's because people see him getting off a decent shot now and then, it means he has a good shot but any player can get a good shot off here and there when theyre shooting enough pucks. To have a passable shot, you need to consistently shoot above a certain level

There isn't much discussion about various aspects of his offensive game because we have so little to go by. That said, I don't buy the argument that he's a 3rd/4th line forward because of his lack of shot. I mean, it's possible that's where he ends up, but there are definitely examples of players with less than average shots that are also top 6 forwards - Henrik Sedin for instance.

I think what you're seeing is that Pod appears to lack the ability to beat a goalie cleanly with his shot. No argument there. Doesn't look like he's a guy who can pick corners and has that killer instinct to quickly identify holes and commit to the shot.

But it's far more likely that if he settles into a top 6 role, his goals will be more of the garbage variety - think Dave Andreychuk, or the player I he most reminds me of : Dustin Brown. You don't need a plus shot to play that way, just will and hard work and enough skill to stick as a regular in a top 6 role. That's where I see this player ultimately ending up.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Can you find any player, from the KHL, who has this much trouble producing that’s turned into a 30/30 player ?

Or with a similar P/60 at least?

I am genuinely curious because Podz seems to have a lot of the intangibles, but no shot/finish. Not such how to project him to be anything more than an energy guy rn.
Are there any comparables that have had their ice time and role screwed around with so much? Dudes been up and down three different leagues and up and down lines 1-4 on his own team, playing anywhere from 30 seconds to double digit minutes.

The prospects board swears Russia is the greatest country ever for developing their prospects but it's really hard to see the benefit of how they've dealt with Pod...

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Are there any comparables that have had their ice time and role screwed around with so much? Dudes been up and down three different leagues and up and down lines 1-4 on his own team, playing anywhere from 30 seconds to double digit minutes.

The prospects board swears Russia is the greatest country ever for developing their prospects but it's really hard to see the benefit of how they've dealt with Pod...

This is what I mean, by using P/60. I know he's been tossed around, given little playing time, etc.

Finding comparables disregarding the yo-yo job he's had could at least give us a starting point.

I also don't think they claim Russia is the greatest country ever at developing players; I don't think the hyperbole serves any benefit. Many good players come out of Russia. Maybe we could look at other good players that have also received the treatment Podz has?

I theorize his ice-time could be about dangling the carrot. I think they want him to break through, take the next step, etc. Other players may just be what they are, while they know they keep him working for more, even with his successes, he'll push himself even more. Maybe they see things in practice he's not doing on the ice.

That said, he plays with a lot of effort, so who knows if this is an actual strategy, I know it's unlikely; I just hope there's some sort of intentional positive line of thinking for his lack of ice time.

Cquant

May 14, 2015

Russian prospects should definitely stay in Russia. There are a few advantages that make it better for me too.

That is.. excluding any young players on SKA or CSKA. These teams don't usually give younger players much of a chance and the teams are always stacked. That is why a Kravtsov has had more opportunity than a Podz. Even a guy like Ovi didn't go thorough the SKA/ CSKA system.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Can you find any player, from the KHL, who has this much trouble producing that’s turned into a 30/30 player ?

Or with a similar P/60 at least?

I am genuinely curious because Podz seems to have a lot of the intangibles, but no shot/finish. Not such how to project him to be anything more than an energy guy rn.

16175.jpg

Kucherov Nikita:Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Theyve changed it and have rightfully added Pod's assist.

2 assists so far for Podz in the game.

He is net front presence in the PP and on the top PK unit as well.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
YouTube highlights can sometimes be a little deceiving, but in this case you can certainly see that Podkolzin has a pretty dynamic set of wheels....hard to believe that when he was drafted, some observers said 'his skating need some work'.

Can't wait to see him captaining the Russian squad at the WJHC, which is set to start on Xmas Day....coming up pretty fast. I really could care less what he does in the KHL or whether his coach calls him out.

It's apparent he's coming to the NHL as soon as his KHL contract with SKA St. Petersberg expires at the end of April....so he's getting the cold war treatment from the coach imo.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
As expected, the guy looks ridiculous against his own group of peers, and giving more opportunity to just play the damn game

Just to clarify, he isnt playing againts his own group of peers,

Team Russia is using their u20 team but Finland Czech and Sweden are using veteran pros.

Take a look at Finaland's lineup today. Vets

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Just to clarify, he isnt playing againts his own group of peers,

Team Russia is using their u20 team but Finland Czech and Sweden are using veteran pros.

Take a look at Finaland's lineup today. Vets

Yeah, the youngest Finn was still older, than the oldest Russian.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Watching the game so far and here are my thoughts.

-Has elite power move that he can pull off almost at will on the rush

-Ability to make plays on the half wall

-Ability to make plays behind the net

-Ability to make plays on the rush

-Ability to cycle the puck

If he improves his shot I'm seeing a legit top 6 player here. Really he's dominating getting chances but his finishing ability is really lacking. I know understand his problem and why his advanced stats are a lot better than his actual results. The first thing he should change the bend on his stick as It doesn't seem to flex as much when he shoots the puck.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
This has been evident to anybody who has even watched him over a handful of games, his lack of shot and hands in tight is quite obvious. Which is why I mentioned it's astounding it's not been talked about to death. I have seen countless twitter personalities reporting on his games, yet don't speak about it. The points are not there, simply for that reason. He is not getting more top minutes because of this reason. This is all it is.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Showing his vision/patience and great passing, podkolzin gets a beauty assist to Amirov for the tying goal late in the game, with the empty net. If he had the hands for goal scoring, this kid would be a 1st overall. His vision and passing are definitely NHL top 6 caliber, already

Last edited:

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Nice shootout goal for podkolzin (deke), however it was a bit slow, wouldn't work on an NHL goalie

1 assist, 1 shootout goal & player of the game for russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->