Denver Post: Varlamov turns himself in to police *Read Mod Warning Post 23 & 275*

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
3rd degree assault means he caused some sort of injury to the person, but the intent wasn't totally malicious. It was negligent. Like if somebody grabbed an arm of somebody flailing and dislocated a shoulder.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Halloween and time off in between games man....

Varly seems like a nice guy though and this will probably blow over.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I don't think analyzing the law is going to get us very far here.

They said it was someone he knew. Maybe they will drop the charges? Who knows, but speculating about it is just foolish

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Strange...almost as in a couple getting into an argument at dinner and the guy making his girlfriend get into a car (like physically grabbing her by the arm and putting her in there) and then driving home, seems like that would constitute both charges, or am I wrong?

I just want to hope that this is a misunderstanding and that it gets sorted out.

But if he legitimately did these things, I'm going to have some very different feelings towards him....

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

They said it was someone he knew. Maybe they will drop the charges? Who knows, but speculating about it is just foolish

You are correct, and I've been doing it as well.

Let's try to tone down the speculation here and just let the facts come to light.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
So, he carried someone against their will, and caused some sort of pain, without real injury.

Sounds like a lot made out of pretty much nothing, with probably alcohol involved.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ryan Parker ‏@ryanparkerdp 3m
Varlamov arrested for 1 class 4 felony count, one misdemeanor for alleged domestic violence that supposedly involved kidnapping #avalanche

So what does this mean now!?

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
So, he carried someone against their will, and caused some sort of pain, without real injury.

Sounds like a lot made out of pretty much nothing, with probably alcohol involved.

Absolutely could be this. The charges are pretty low on the legal totem pole. You can't reduce them very much.

It could be worse than that, though.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
This is one of those nights where I'm glad I'm not a mod haha. There's probably going to be people trolling the Avs board all night.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado

This entire forum would die a quick death without speculation. :sarcasm:

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
This is one of those nights where I'm glad I'm not a mod haha. There's probably going to be people trolling the Avs board all night.

And I'm just gonna get worked up and respond :shakehead I just know how I am. I take all bait.

I feel like I should just sign out so I don't get worked up and post stupid overreactions.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Who knows what will happen or what the actual story is. A good friend of mine with 3 kids got into a heated argument with his common law after he found out she was cheating. During the argument he said that he wished the kids were never born. She called the police and he got charged with 3 counts of uttering death threats. The charges were eventually thrown out but during that time he wasn't allowed to have any contact with his kids. I think with Varlymov's case it will be something minor once the truth comes out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The real question is will Dater be sick or have some kind of phone problems the next 24-48 hours.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
From these definitions, I would guess [without any first hand knowledge] the allegation is that he tried to pull his girlfriend or otherwise physically move her in the course of an argument. As for the class 4 felony part, that is the standard degree for the kidnapping charge. That it is class 4 means that the victim did not allege that he or she was the victim of sexual abuse or that a weapon was used.

C.R.S. § 18-3-302. Second degree kidnapping

(1) Any person who knowingly seizes and carries any person from one place to another, without his consent and without lawful justification, commits second degree kidnapping.

. . . .

(5) Second degree kidnapping is a class 4 felony, except as provided in subsections (3) and (4) of this section.

C.R.S. § 18-3-204. Assault in the third degree

(1) A person commits the crime of assault in the third degree if:

(a) The person knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person or with criminal negligence the person causes bodily injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon; or

(b) The person, with intent to infect, injure, harm, harass, annoy, threaten, or alarm another person whom the actor knows or reasonably should know to be a peace officer, a firefighter, an emergency medical care provider, or an emergency medical service provider, causes the other person to come into contact with blood, seminal fluid, urine, feces, saliva, mucus, vomit, or toxic, caustic, or hazardous material by any means, including throwing, tossing, or expelling the fluid or material.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Speculating: the girl could have gone to the cops and showed a bruise on her arm saying he pushed her from one room to another. He needs to get Harvey on the phone (the magical broncos lawyer)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So what does this mean now!?

An investigation will take place to see if they have enough evidence to try him. If they do he will get charged, if they don't it will get dropped to a misdemeanor. With a misdemeanor I doubt Varly misses much time. Felony he will miss some and if convicted probably face a delayed jail sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad