Denver Post: Varlamov turns himself in to police *Read Mod Warning Post 23 & 275*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ummm.......

Ryan Parker @ryanparkerdp
Varlamov arrested on 2nd degree kidnapping and 3rd degree assault of someone he knew.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Varly is gone. I expect Giggy to play lights out for us for a few games...

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Of course gender matters. ... you said Violence against women is simply hilarious. As if we just know he hit a women.

I was referring to you laughing about it. And I'm speculating it was a woman which I believe is a fair speculation although it's not fact. I just don't understand how it's funny in any way. Domestic violence is more than violence there's a psychological factor of power and dominance that is disturbing. I don't care if it's a man or a woman I was just generalizing

Huis Clos*

He's a pro athlete and it appears he didn't kill anyone. Slap on the wrist at worst and that's only if the charges aren't dropped and he's actually convicted of something.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I'm slightly irritated by the DP going with "arrested" in their headline.

Semyon Varlamov, starting goaltender for the Colorado Avalanche, on Wednesday was arrested for domestic violence-related charges, the Denver Police Department said.

Varlamov turned himself into police voluntarily, police said.

Solid wording. He was arrested! But now that you've given us a click and pre-judged him, he went to the police voluntarily.

Even if you turn yourself in you still get arrested.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Can someone who has more knowledge than I do on the subject matter explain to me what 2nd Degree Kidnapping and 3rd Degree Assault are? As in a situation where both would occur

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He's a pro athlete and it appears he didn't kill anyone. Slap on the wrist at worst and that's only if the charges aren't dropped and he's actually convicted of something.

Doesn't mean it won't mean huge changes for the Avs now this year. Like something like this won't completely **** Varlamov's mind.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The kidnapping could simply be not letting the woman out of the car and driving. Varly was holding her against her will.. That means 2nd degree kidnapping. On the main boards someone is saying he is being held without bail.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
3-3:04 SECOND DEGREE KIDNAPPING - SEIZES AND
CARRIES

The elements of the crime of second degree kidnapping
are:

1. That the defendant,

2. in the State of Colorado, at or about the date and
place charged,

3. knowingly,

a. seized and carried any person from one place to
another,

b. without his/her consent, and

c. without lawful justification,

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Holy ****. When I first heard of it, I thought it was some sort of Halloween joke, I'm now really concerned.

When I first saw the thread I thought Varly transformed into a police officer for halloween. :facepalm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
ummm.......

Ryan parker @ryanparkerdp
varlamov arrested on 2nd degree kidnapping and 3rd degree assault of someone he knew.

WTF??? Please be a misunderstanding, or at least blown out of proportion.

And hopefully everyone involved is ok.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Third degree assault does not require intent, but rather that a person knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person or, with criminal negligence, causes bodily injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon. Third degree assault is an extraordinary risk crime that is subject to the modified sentencing range.

Third degree assault is commonly charged in situations involving minor physical altercations that do not involve apparent injury but do involve some degree of physical pain. Third degree assault is often charged in situations alleged to involve domestic violence, for example when a wife says that her husband hit or pushed her, or vice versa, and it hurt.

http://www.lawinfoboulder.com/areas_criminal_litigation/third_degree_assault.html

According to C.R.S. 18-3-302 a person commits second degree kidnapping when s/he seizes and carries any person from one place to another, without his consent and without lawful authority; or s/he takes away any child below 18 years with intent to keep or conceal the child from his or her parent or guardian or with intent to sell, trade, or barter such child for consideration.

http://kidnapping.uslegal.com/state-kidnapping-abduction-laws/colorado-kidnappingabduction-laws/

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Heard some people joking about this playing ball hockey like half an hour ago. Said he was probably "beating his boyfriend" which wasn't surprising since he's been "beating everyone lately".

Honestly thought is was a complete joke. I really hope this is nothing serious.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Can someone who has more knowledge than I do on the subject matter explain to me what 2nd Degree Kidnapping and 3rd Degree Assault are? As in a situation where both would occur

2nd degree kidnapping..

"According to C.R.S. 18-3-302 a person commits second degree kidnapping when s/he seizes and carries any person from one place to another, without his consent and without lawful authority; or s/he takes away any child below 18 years with intent to keep or conceal the child from his or her parent or guardian or with intent to sell, trade, or barter such child for consideration." I will assume it's the first half.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I was referring to you laughing about it. And I'm speculating it was a woman which I believe is a fair speculation although it's not fact. I just don't understand how it's funny in any way. Domestic violence is more than violence there's a psychological factor of power and dominance that is disturbing. I don't care if it's a man or a woman I was just generalizing

I know you were referring to my post.... I said I found it funny and you proceeded to me thinking violence against women is hilarious.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Third degree assault should mean no one got hurt. A push or something of that nature.

The kidnapping? Who knows. Does he have children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad