Denver Post: Varlamov turns himself in to police *Read Mod Warning Post 23 & 275*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm slightly irritated by the DP going with "arrested" in their headline.

Semyon Varlamov, starting goaltender for the Colorado Avalanche, on Wednesday was arrested for domestic violence-related charges, the Denver Police Department said.

Varlamov turned himself into police voluntarily, police said.

Solid wording. He was arrested! But now that you've given us a click and pre-judged him, he went to the police voluntarily.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Why does there have to be a her involved? I havent seen a fact of "Varlamov's girlfriend beaten, Varlamov arrested"

Does it matter the gender?
And domestic violence implies a relationship. Whether it's a man or a woman that it's against it comes with complex emotional issues as well. Either way it's not funny and could land him jail time. I don't see how it matters what gender was specified
Otherwise we'd be reading that he turned himself in for assault.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
True, but domestic violence involving a pro athlete almost always involves a him and a her.

If it was a guy then this would be a rather awkward way for the first gay player in one of the big four leagues to come out.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
And domestic violence implies a relationship. Whether it's a man or a woman that it's against it comes with complex emotional issues as well. Either way it's not funny and could land him jail time. I don't see how it matters what gender was specified

But it can be family, no? Maybe he got in a drunken fight with his brother. I'd much rather read that than him blackening his girlfriends eyes. How about you?

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
But it can be family, no? Maybe he got in a drunken fight with his brother. I'd much rather read that than him blackening his girlfriends eyes. How about you?

It could be family, yes. But how often to mutual confrontations between siblings go to the police in which the apparent offender turns himself in?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Of course gender matters. ... you said Violence against women is simply hilarious. As if we just know he hit a women.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Domestic abuse means many things. Violence usually implies physical

Domestic abuse and domestic violence are often interchangeable.

Even on California's state law website states: The domestic violence laws say “abuse†is:

• Physically hurting or trying to hurt someone, intentionally or recklessly;
  • Making someone reasonably afraid that they or someone else are about to be seriously hurt (like threats or promises to harm someone)
  • Behavior like harassing, stalking, threatening, or hitting someone; disturbing someone’s peace; or destroying someone’s personal property.

Domestic violence does not have to be physical. Abuse can be verbal (spoken), emotional, or psychological.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
Could have just been a really loud argument or something. I can't believe some people here, jumping to conclusions so quickly

I thought the same thing, believe me. Until I heard hospitalization ... but as I said that isn't confirmed, just reported.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Maybe he decked Sacco at a Buffalo house party during the trip there.

On a serious note, hopefully no one was badly hurt and Varlamov returns like nothing happened. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad