Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattodette28

Jun 7, 2002
Visit site
what do you think his upside is? I just drafted him in a keeper league prospect draft. I've seen highlights of him and he looks very very good, but that is against college competition. I drafted him in the 2nd round, players drafted near him are Semin, Ryan Suter, Dustin Brown, Robert Nilsson...did I make a good pick?

when does he project to make it onto Buf's roster? would it be a good idea to try and package him to get a good young forward or dman, or is he someone to hang onto?

thanks

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Seven_Nation_Army said:
honestly any of those players selected around Vanek would have been better

I would package him asap
So, obviously you know more than EVERY professional scout that had Vanek rated well above Brown and Nilsson?

The only one I would consider above Vanek is Semin, who may see time with Jagr or Bondra this year.

Vanek will probably make Buffalo's roster next year. If you can package him for a young stud then I would do so, otherwise hold onto him as he has tremendous upside.

#37-#93-#27*

Seven_Nation_Army said:
honestly any of those players selected around Vanek would have been better

I would package him asap
That's why the Sabres selected him 5th overall in the draft.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
#37-#93-#27 said:
That's why the Sabres selected him 5th overall in the draft.

I'm sorry, I have to agree with JMac on this one, his work ethic is less than spectacular, I don't care how many goals he can score in the NCAA, he just underwhelms me...PERIOD

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I have to agree...

I tough He would still be available when it comes to Montral turn...

I would have take guys like Jessiman and Brown iin front of him.

BJ21

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
How many NHL scouts had him ranked that high, maybe most would have him outside the top ten (where I think he should have been) Buffalo is one team and maybe thewy see something other can't but buffalo has a poor record at the draft table also.
Hockey News had him #8 overall. CSB had him as the #3 NA skater.
Know wherof you speak.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sammy said:
Hockey News had him #8 overall. CSB had him as the #3 NA skater.
Know wherof you speak.

RLR had him rated 6th overall.

I doubt too many teams had him rated lower than 6th or 7th.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
All scouting centers focus only on skills, talent and potential. They don't care about work ethic or attitude, thats where the NHL scouts decide who is the best fit.
Do you know anything? They look at the whole package & rate them accordingly.
God almighty....

IkeaMonkey*

GB Editor said:
3rd skater in North America, not from North America.

OH, I thought Europeans were listed as Europeans even if they play in College/Juniors....

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Yes, Osullivan is the whole package or Laine back in his draft day. They look at the whole package of skills, rarly do they drop a player becasue of work ethic or attitude. Vanek has a poor attitude and work ethic. Brendl say wha?
So are you acknowledging you are wrong ?
Cause O'Sullivan confirms what I say & also cofirms that the statement "All scouting centers focus only on skills, talent and potential. They don't care about work ethic or attitude,..." is crap.
O'Sullivan was acknowleged to have top end talent. He was also rated by the Hockey News #20 & by CSB #14 in NA.
If you actually believe that "scouting centers" (who btw are made up of scouts) when they rate guys dont strongly consider attitude, work ethic, intangibles, there is no point discussing this with you cause you dont have a clue on this subject.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
JasonMacIsaac said:
I don't like his work ethic, I smell Brendl a reaking.

vanek scored a TON of goals in the third period and OT
that is not the sign of a poor work ethic
he also scored most of his goals around the net and going to the net is his biggest strength
the knock on brendl is his unwillingness to do this
i don't think they are as similar a player as many think they are

i also wouldn't say at all that buffalo has a poor record at the draft table
they have made some poor first round picks, but also some very good ones, not to mention many good ones in the later rounds

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
I was being sarcastic, O Sullivan went in the 2nd round and so did Laine. Both were ranked o go in the first round by scouting centers. Dixon went in the 9th, loads of skill but not a team player. There are plenty other also.
That happens in every draft. Tell me then. Why did O'Sullivan drop in CSB & every other publication during the year?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Vanek isn't afraid to go into traffic to make plays.

That's something that Brendl would never even think of doing.

The funny thing is that Jagr has been accused of having a bad attitude, a questionable work ethic, and not caring about defense and it hasn't held him back too much.

And I'd love to hear how anyone knows that Vanek has a bad attitude. Everything I've read from the Minnesota and Sioux Falls coaches is that he's extremely coachable and nothing of a prima donna like many marquee talents are.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
JasonMacIsaac said:
Vanek and Brandl are very alike, both big talented forwards, both goal scorers, both dominated in weak league both going to be busts at the NHL level.

So I guess you're not impressed by Zach Parise's production last year as Vanek and he played in the same league and Vanek outscored him.

There is one huge difference between Vanek and Brendl.

Brendl is a play that stays out on the perimeter and won't get his nose dirty to make a play.

Vanek will go to the net if that's what it takes to score a goal.

We'll see what happens, but I'll bet that Vanek is much more like Heatley than he is like Brendl.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
i've never heard of vanek having a bad attitude.

yeah, that's right, i'm a sabres fan, but i still think he'll be Very good.

not sure about his work ethic though.

brendl, schmendl

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
JasonMacIsaac said:
Vanek and Brandl are very alike, both big talented forwards, both goal scorers, both dominated in weak league both going to be busts at the NHL level.

oh, you can read the future, my fault, i didn't know that
how about hookin me up with tomorrow's lottery numbers

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
JasonMacIsaac said:
Vanek is more talented and alot bigger then Parise. Parise made a piss poor team into a contender also.

North Dakota was coming off a poor 01-02 season, but that team still had a bunch of talent and their senior class did have a national title and runner up finish under their belts.

Parise helped bring the Sioux back, but staying healthy had a lot to do with it as well.

But since Vanek is bigger and more talented than Parise, and is going to be a bust, then I guess Parise is doomed as well, huh?

TVanek26*

If Vanek has a bad work ethic, how did he end up scoring 40 goals?Without Vanek,Minnesota wouldn't have won the championship.Pavel Bure had a bad work ethic because he couldn't play good defense.Was he a bust?And people need to stop bashing Brendl.People still think Lundmark is a super prospect, he has had just as long as Brendl in the league.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
To answer the original question...

Potential to be great: very high

Potential to be a bust: also very high

Potential to be in between the above two: very low

IMO at least.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Thats all fine & dandy to have you view on a player. Just dont suggest that
1)scouts (as a whole) had him rated worse than where he got drafted cause that aint the case
2) that scouts & scouting centers dont strongly consider work ethic, coachability & attitude cause they do when they rate players. On that note, in my view having a bad attitude does not correlate with a bad work ethic. There are all sorts of guys in all sorts sports who have great attitudes but not the greatest of work ethics. The intensity & work ethic neccessary to play in the NHL ( for all but the most gifted of gifted) is unbelievable. Lots of guys have had real good attitudes, been real talented but just didnt have that extra intensity & work ethic to make it. Very few do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->