Vanek was offered to Leafs

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Boston got him for a measley 3.25M this year, are you kidding me? Why can't we sign a steady #2 for that amount.

They acquired him + Bartkowski from Florida and the only "asset" going back was a 2010 2nd (Petrovic). Petrovic looks to be a good one but the only other two pieces in the deal were 4th line energy guys.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
I personally believe Kulemin is a poor substitute for Moulson.

as much as I love Kulemin, Moulson is a much more of an offensive threat. Look at his pure-offensive numbers, and it blows Kulemin out of the water. Though to a championship team, I'd take Kulemin due to his physicality, mentality and work ethic.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't have wanted Vanek. We have a solid team, and it is only going to cost our team (in terms of current chemistry) if we gave up someone that's on our roster. In terms of prospects though, it might've costed us even more, simply because prospects are prospects.

All in all, it's a good move that they did not trade Vanek (I did not even mention his cap hit and his "desire" to play for the Wild).

EDDIE20*

I'm sure Buffalo knocked on everyone's door trying to move him. Glad to see Nonis didn't bite.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

as much as I love Kulemin, Moulson is a much more of an offensive threat. Look at his pure-offensive numbers, and it blows Kulemin out of the water. Though to a championship team, I'd take Kulemin due to his physicality, mentality and work ethic.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't have wanted Vanek. We have a solid team, and it is only going to cost our team (in terms of current chemistry) if we gave up someone that's on our roster. In terms of prospects though, it might've costed us even more, simply because prospects are prospects.

All in all, it's a good move that they did not trade Vanek (I did not even mention his cap hit and his "desire" to play for the Wild).

Matt Moulson scores at a Phil Kessel type pace on a regular basis while Kulemin has done it only 1 season.

Besides Leafs are tight against the cap as it is which would mean Cap $$ going out would have to equal to Cap money in Vanek > $7 mil. Kulemin at $2.8 would still require another $4 mil roster player involved to fit Vanek.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why did the Isles get him? I don't think they need a rental. I guess they will try to re-sign him. Although if he walks they did not give up much

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Moulson is also forced into first line + top PP situations. He gets the minutes but really his only trait is putting the puck in the back of the net. No puckhandling skills, not a very good skater, not physical, no rush or cycle ability. Overall he's kind of a one trick pony.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
You guys are clueless when it comes to player value. Molson's value >>Kulemin's value.

We would have had to do Gardiner + 1st + Lower pick or something along those lines. Plus our 1st has a lower perceived value than NYI's.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kulemin isn't the comparable piece to Moulson they'd be looking for.

Lupul is. (even though yes, Lupul is better than Moulson).

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
would of been nice. Then perhaps trade Lupul or something to upgrade somewhere else. Before people rip me, Vanek>lupul
...Injuries aside I'd take Lupul over Vanek any day...When Lupul's healthy he can take a team on his back and dominate a game..Vanek is a scorer and I haven't seen much else from him.We don't need another scoring winger...

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Why should the Leafs have to give up a piece like Gardiner or Lupul while the Isles gave up a pending UFA?

That they are probably going to flip anyway. Cue the "in the division" folks even though the Sabres are probably years away from giving a crap what the Leafs do.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Vanek is the #1 thing we don't need.

Nothing against him, but we have a plethora of wingers here.

And to answer your question, they probably asked for something around Gardiner, which is why they even offered him in the division.

this i feel as if a lot of leaf fans are underrating him a lot... last summer people wouldn't have traded him for crosby now people will trade him for anything.. .Gardiner should not be moved for anything less than a top6 young C or a "core" type of player. ROR for Gards ++++ is so Pejorative Slured its not even funny

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
How does Vanek help the Leafs?

You guys are clueless when it comes to player value. Molson's value >>Kulemin's value.

We would have had to do Gardiner + 1st + Lower pick or something along those lines. Plus our 1st has a lower perceived value than NYI's.

We would have to throw in Gardiner? Kessel,JVR,Lupul,Clarkson,Raymond,Kulemin. Why would we trade anything for that contract? As if we could. How does Vanek help ? We didn't bite because he doesn't help us and he costs way too much for what he can give now at 30. Scratch this one.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I'm sure Vanek was offered to just about every team out there.

Would be real tricky to fit his 7.1 million in our cap. Almost certain Lupul would have to be going the other way.

No real point in making a move like that for us.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
I agree Erhoff is really good and I was looking at him. But he's old.

Erhoff has got some good years left. I figure the only way the Leafs would get Erhoff though is if Gardiner was going the other way (add picks if you feel like it's terribly unfair). I just see Gardiner as the kind of young upcoming d-man they would want, and Erhoff being the strong, veteran D presence that we are desperately lacking right now.

I think it could be a good trade for both sides.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'm sure Vanek was offered to just about every team out there.

Would be real tricky to fit his 7.1 million in our cap. Almost certain Lupul would have to be going the other way.

No real point in making a move like that for us.

It's dumb that bobo and Dregger even mentioned this. It's not even like the leafs made a counter offer or even had interest. How would we even fit the 7.1 cap hit even if they retained up to 2 mill cause there is absolutely no way Lupul goes the other way for a pending UFA.

These guys are just trying there hardest to stay relevant.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
He's 31 years old...that's like 2 years older than Phaneuf.

There are many defenseman that play till they are 38.

Heck, we'll probably be re-signing Phaneuf to play till 37.
3 Years older than Dion Phaneuf. Dion is 28 and wont turn 29 until April

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
WTF guys ?!?! Vanek was offered to all 29 NHL teams and it was the Islanders who were willing to pay the most for him. Seriously what kind of news is that?!?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad