Vanek was offered to Leafs

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I agree Erhoff is really good and I was looking at him. But he's old.

He's 31 years old...that's like 2 years older than Phaneuf.

There are many defenseman that play till they are 38.

Heck, we'll probably be re-signing Phaneuf to play till 37.

Feb 24, 2004
Vanek is the #1 thing we don't need.

Nothing against him, but we have a plethora of wingers here.

And to answer your question, they probably asked for something around Gardiner, which is why they even offered him in the division.

This.

Any trade we make this year for a rental should be exactly like what we did for Brian Leetch - marginal prospects and picks. Nothing off the current roster and nothing of significant value.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not sure why we were offered Vanek. Far far far away something that should interest us.

MajorityRules*

By the sounds of it, Buffalo may have offered Vanek but the Leafs weren't interested. Can't say I'm disappointed

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
He's 31 years old...that's like 2 years older than Phaneuf.

There are many defenseman that play till they are 38.

Heck, we'll probably be re-signing Phaneuf to play till 37.
31s not ancient but it's past prime. He's going to be getting worse from now on while we need to get better. This probably isn't our year to win it all.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
what are the cap implications if we retires early?

Can't remember what the penalty is but I'm guessing in the grand scheme of things, miniscule given what the cap would be when that happens. No more than what is currently on our cap for past buyouts I would assume.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
what are the cap implications if we retires early?

None to Toronto (or any team that accquires him), the cap hit >= salary are equal going forward.

The recapture penalty will apply to the Sabres since the years where the salary being greater than the cap hit were with them. For them it would be 10M divided by the number of years early he retires applied to those years.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Probably asked for Gardiner or Kulemin + 1st, which is a no-brainer no for a player we don't need + is a rental.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i cant imagine nonis giving up the equivalent of moulson, 1st, 2nd.

we need to have a solid team from top to bottom, not just make an all star team.

Asif16*

Ott would be the only player i would want from buffalo.

But unfortunately, thats probably one of their few players that they want to keep, and seems untradable since they named him captain. Sabres think highly of him

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We don't need more wingers or a cap hit like Vanek's, no surprise Nonis hung up on Regier.

We have too much cap as it is tied up in wingers presently.

Wingers are the only thing we don't need, beside goaltending that is now.

NYI's are a good fit particularly if they can get him resigned as JT and TV will combine for a truck load of goals in the future.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
i cant imagine nonis giving up the equivalent of moulson, 1st, 2nd.

we need to have a solid team from top to bottom, not just make an all star team.

This makes me extremely happy when I see our fans write this. Again no capspace for a Stastny or a Vanek on this team.

What we need is a Seidenburg type defenceman to our roster.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He's not a defenseman or center...which is what we need to upgrade on. So I'm glad we passed.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I agree Erhoff is really good and I was looking at him. But he's old.

He is 31 and will be 38 when his contract is up. Like most D, Ehrhoff entered his prime at 27, which hopefully means he can keep up this pace till at least 36. In addition, if he retires before his salary goes down to 1 million he will not have reached 36 years of age yet. He will be 1-2 months away from 36 though.

Penalty Kill Icing*

As others mentioned.. we didn't need a winger with 7 million caphit (with all due respect to Vanek).

I wonder whom were the Leafs scouting last night in Buffalo. Ehrhoff?

Personally, I think it could be Ehrhoff. Nonis has started the trend of adding players with cup finals (i.e. playoff experience) lately. [Clarkson, Bernier (as a backup but still), Raymond, Bolland].

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
31s not ancient but it's past prime. He's going to be getting worse from now on while we need to get better. This probably isn't our year to win it all.

That is not exactly true with D as long as speed isn't the issue, and we would rely less on Ehrhoff for PP and PK then Buffalo. He would be an amazing addition and won't be doing much good in Buffalo for the next couple years while they rebuild. I bet Gardiner straight up would get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad