Confirmed with Link: Vanek to the Wings, 1 year 3 million with a NTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
At least the PR firms (sports reporters) only have to do mild edits on old stories...

Screenshot_20180701-144712_Chrome.jpg

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
1yr is fine. But a NTC??So we can't trade him at the deadline for more picks. Why do you need a NTC on a 1yr deal?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
1yr is fine. But a NTC??So we can't trade him at the deadline for more picks. Why do you need a NTC on a 1yr deal?
It is interesting because it's not like there's a real fear of sign and trade with Holland.

So the only thing you're really protecting against being traded to a playoff team and having to play more hockey.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
The NTC is so he can decide which teams that's all. It's so he can say he rather go to a legitimate contender instead of a team fighting for the 8th seed.

Reactions: kliq and Henkka

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The NTC is so he can decide which teams that's all. It's so he can say he rather go to a legitimate contender instead of a team fighting for the 8th seed.

That's a good point.

Still don't love this signing. Green I understand but it seems like there's enough forwards vying for spots you don't really need Vanek.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The theory Vanek is here to help AA (which I've read now 10 times and in the trade forum) is simply that, nothing more than theory.

I don't see how Vanek improves us in any way. We have more than enough veteran leadership. The guy is slow by NHL standards, isn't quick, and is really too soft to win many battles. Talk about the supposed 50 points he'll have here (which he won't)... isn't worth his inability to backcheck or join the rush in time or the spot he steals from developing a prospect. People complain about AA not involved in the play, this is going to be hilarious.

What a depressing, gross pick-up.

Custance: What to expect from the Red Wings in free agency

The Red Wings like the idea of Vanek, a right shot, playing with their young forwards and helping them create offense. They noticed the way he helped Boone Jenner get going in Columbus and also felt like Andreas Athanasiou played some of his best hockey when he was on a line with Vanek.

Behind a paywall, but that theory was all but confirmed by Craig Custance at The Athletic.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He has done a pretty good job two straight deadlines. I am not real worried about these moves that have been public knowledge for a week. Life goes on for me I guess.

He's done well two straight deadlines where his attempts at putting a team together to fight for a playoff spot have blown up on him.

I'm not really surprised by what Holland's doing. I think I've said for quite awhile that I figured he would take whatever money he has and dive back into the UFA market every summer and, well, he has. Now we all sit back and hope his attempt spectacularly implodes again. Unless you buy the idea that Holland is building this team with the expectation that it won't improve but that it will somehow magically fill LCA with dupes, something that I don't buy into at all.

I'll wait for the summer to roll to a close before I get too critical of the team we actually ice next year but, right now and as constructed, I don't think Holland is doing any favors to the long term health of the organization. A trade or two and my opinion will change, though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He's done well two straight deadlines where his attempts at putting a team together to fight for a playoff spot have blown up on him.

I'm not really surprised by what Holland's doing. I think I've said for quite awhile that I figured he would take whatever money he has and dive back into the UFA market every summer and, well, he has. Now we all sit back and hope his attempt spectacularly implodes again. Unless you buy the idea that Holland is building this team with the expectation that it won't improve but that it will somehow magically fill LCA with dupes, something that I don't buy into at all.

I'll wait for the summer to roll to a close before I get too critical of the team we actually ice next year but, right now and as constructed, I don't think Holland is doing any favors to the long term health of the organization. A trade or two and my opinion will change, though.

The only way this team is in a position to buy is off of growth from our younger players. I am not overly concerned here. We aren't hockey club and I see the point of these signings. I am curious to see what he does this year. Given what Tatar and Smith have actually done since departing he also might find getting his return a little tougher this season. Time will tell. I just don't see the need to be gloom and doom about maybe not being a total dumpster fire. I still don't see a playoff team.

But I will get ready to criticize Holland when the time actually calls for it, which really isn't today in my opinion.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Vanek helps AA. That's all this is, well maybe also to teach the young bucks how to score. He will be top 3 in points and help a dysfunctional PP. Stop the hate, bc he wasnt in "your plans." Wings need a player like him at a marginal price. They got one in him.

Reactions: KJoe88

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I sure hope Vanek can light a fire under AA but work ethic isn't something you can really teach. Here's hoping it does and AA turns a corner.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The only way this team is in a position to buy is off of growth from our younger players. I am not overly concerned here. We aren't hockey club and I see the point of these signings. I am curious to see what he does this year. Given what Tatar and Smith have actually done since departing he also might find getting his return a little tougher this season. Time will tell. I just don't see the need to be gloom and doom about maybe not being a total dumpster fire. I still don't see a playoff team.

But I will get ready to criticize Holland when the time actually calls for it, which really isn't today in my opinion.

You have to have room to promote them, though. You mentioned them talking up Rasmussen having a spot...but where are you playing him without some sort of injury or trade creating that space? Even the blueline, which was godawful, still has six guys already signed and only one of them could realistically be expected to be benched in favor of someone else.

I don't see doom/gloom with folks over this, I just see people knowing how Holland has operated in the past and what these signings actually mean. Maybe Holland will still deal Nyquist or someone. I honestly think he'll be trying. But I doubt he actually does, figuring he'll get better value later. And talk about guys having space to move up will turn out to be just that: talk. They're already setting expectations for Zadina to be in GR. That should be more telling about DRW's "rebuild" plans than Zadina's readiness.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm not for the Vanek signing, but I really dont see it as a big deal. Signings like the Nielsen signing, or even the Abby & Helm signings, those are signs that they are not thinking re-build. Contracts for mid tier players that are 1 or 2 years don't stop a re-build. Bernier was 3 years, but I think is so they have someone somewhat decent once the inevitable Howard trade takes place.

I think Holland wants to be competitive up to the deadline, then sell and hope to do well in the lottery, opposed to being a team that is way out of it from the first month. Again, not necessarily my approach, but nothing to get worked up about. I'm sure a lot of this is coming from Illitch as well. Selling tickets does matter, and regardless of whether or not myself/posters here think this will matter, I think the perception of ownership is that it will.

Either way, I'm sure come deadline time we sell Howard, Nyquist, Vanek, Jensen, possibly Frk and IF he wants one more shot Konrwall for picks.

To me, today isnt a good day or a bad day in our re-build, its just a day.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm not for the Vanek signing, but I really dont see it as a big deal. Signings like the Nielsen signing, or even the Abby & Helm signings, those are signs that they are not thinking re-build. Contracts for mid tier players that are 1 or 2 years don't stop a re-build. Bernier was 3 years, but I think is so they have someone somewhat decent once the inevitable Howard trade takes place.

I think Holland wants to be competitive up to the deadline, then sell and hope to do well in the lottery, opposed to being a team that is way out of it from the first month. Again, not necessarily my approach, but nothing to get worked up about. I'm sure a lot of this is coming from Illitch as well. Selling tickets does matter, and regardless of whether or not myself/posters here think this will matter, I think the perception of ownership is that it will.

Either way, I'm sure come deadline time we sell Howard, Nyquist, Vanek, Jensen, possibly Frk and IF he wants one more shot Konrwall for picks.

To me, today isnt a good day or a bad day in our re-build, its just a day.
To me it's a 'Holland-esque' day where he brings back vets whom he knows.

Happy Canada Day!

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Probably not a good sign for a player if we have to sign someone specifically to help him...

Idk about this signing. I'm just kinda over this vet presence excuse when we are already one of the oldest teams in the league. Also kind of puts Zadina out of the running for a roster spot without even giving him a fair shake.

I'm really just hoping for some of the kids on defense to make it.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Zero need to rush Zadina into the NHL. Rasmussen, too. No point to burning a year of their ELC on a season you're hoping to finish last.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Zero need to rush Zadina into the NHL. Rasmussen, too. No point to burning a year of their ELC on a season you're hoping to finish last.

Zadina I could see the argument for sticking him in the AHL

Rasmussen I think is kind of at the point where putting him into juniors for another year would be actively harming his development

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What if Holland going to make big trade for example Rasmussen for very good defenseman prospect .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad