Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Okay Holland...
why.gif

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
After the Bernier signing and with Mule on LTIR Detroit should've around $13.1 million to sign Larkin, Mantha and AA Mantha reportedly is getting a 2 year bridge deal at slightly less then $4 million per. Not sure on Larkin AA probably 2 x 2.5 give or take Larkin probably in the 5 x 5 range i would imagine.
If any of those deals happen, that would be absolute RFA wizardry by Kenny

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
And what if that real contender doesn't want him? It lowers the number of teams we can potentially trade him to which is dumb... why handcuff ourselves?

I'm sure Detroit can live without that 6th rounder he might return from a non-contender. This opens the door to trade other players, i.e., Athanasiou.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As TZE points out, the Vanek signing seems more geared toward keeping AA than trading him away. Very unsatisfying. I guess we shouldn't expect a big trade involving AA.

Why do you think that? I would think it makes him more expendable. I am hoping we would only do this signing if we had a pretty strong feeling from talking to other teams a deal will be done in the near future.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why do you think that? I would think it makes him more expendable. I am hoping we would only do this signing if we had a pretty strong feeling from talking to other teams a deal will be done in the near future.

It is an attempt to breath more value into AA by playing him with the guy he has the most chemistry with since showing up in the NHL. I do think it is with the goal of moving both at the deadline.

But people run around here saying they never help AA. This signing is about that. Along with the downlow mentoring he will provide Rasmussen, Mantha and Bertuzzi.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if AA, Nyquist and Vanek are all gone at the deadline...

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I'm sure Detroit can live without that 6th rounder he might return from a non-contender. This opens the door to trade other players, i.e., Athanasiou.

If the plan was to open the doors to trade other players then why not just promote one of our kids? I know Holland wants vets around the kids to learn, but what really can they learn from Vanek? Beside a 4 year span of being a good goal scorers its not like his teams made significant pushes in the playoffs or anything.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Vanek-Larkin-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Z-Nyquist
AA-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm

Unless we make a trade, there’s no way both Zadina and Rasmussen make the team, which doesn’t make a lick of sense to me at all. Holland, I thought the new theme was “youth.”

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting that Vanek speaks fluent czech. Can mentor the Hronek-Sulak-Zadina-Frk group. I could almost see them as a pre-season PP unit, only center is missing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Unless we make a trade, there’s no way both Zadina and Rasmussen make the team, which doesn’t make a lick of sense to me at all. Holland, I thought the new theme was “youth.”

Too early to freak out and make conclusions.

Ken Holland:

"We’re going to give a lot of young players a long look in preseason. The hope is that 2-3 kids crack our lineup. But, they have to be ready. ... If they don't make it opening day, doesn't mean they won't be up in two weeks."

After these current signing, this team will be over the cap after the RFA-extensions even with the Franzen LTIR space, so it could mean some trade is coming. Athanasou etc. goes for a D and that will opens slots etc. Quantity for quality.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Too early to freak out and make conclusions.

After these current signing, this team will be over the cap after the RFA-extensions even with the Franzen LTIR space, so it could mean some trade is coming. Athanasou etc. goes for a D and that will opens slots etc. Quantity for quality.

Like I said, unless we make a trade; there’s no way both Zadina and Rasmussen are on the team, let alone Svechnikov. I bet he’s just banking on injuries.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He has waived in the past who cares...

it limits options and potentially lowers the return. Yeah, he'll probably waive for someone, but it also means we take a fourth instead of a 2nd, etc. Considering he's had to pack up and move 3/4 of the way through each of the past two seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if he nixes a lot of deals outside of a specific place or two. Do I think it will really matter? Not really, but there's reason to look at Holland handing out NTCs like Mike&Ikes and care about how they might affect what he's able to do in eight or nine months.

As TZE points out, the Vanek signing seems more geared toward keeping AA than trading him away. Very unsatisfying. I guess we shouldn't expect a big trade involving AA.

I don't think there was a "big" AA trade out there to be made. Guy has too many holes to his game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It is an attempt to breath more value into AA by playing him with the guy he has the most chemistry with since showing up in the NHL. I do think it is with the goal of moving both at the deadline.

But people run around here saying they never help AA. This signing is about that. Along with the downlow mentoring he will provide Rasmussen, Mantha and Bertuzzi.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if AA, Nyquist and Vanek are all gone at the deadline...

I think they’ve helped AA plenty. AA needs to help himself at this point. I actually want to see a trade happen for a defenseman eventually, otherwise we’re just sitting here making logjams for nothing.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
it limits options and potentially lowers the return. Yeah, he'll probably waive for someone, but it also means we take a fourth instead of a 2nd, etc. Considering he's had to pack up and move 3/4 of the way through each of the past two seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if he nixes a lot of deals outside of a specific place or two. Do I think it will really matter? Not really, but there's reason to look at Holland handing out NTCs like Mike&Ikes and care about how they might affect what he's able to do in eight or nine months.

I don't think there was a "big" AA trade out there to be made. Guy has too many holes to his game.

He has done a pretty good job two straight deadlines. I am not real worried about these moves that have been public knowledge for a week. Life goes on for me I guess.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The theory Vanek is here to help AA (which I've read now 10 times and in the trade forum) is simply that, nothing more than theory.

I don't see how Vanek improves us in any way. We have more than enough veteran leadership. The guy is slow by NHL standards, isn't quick, and is really too soft to win many battles. Talk about the supposed 50 points he'll have here (which he won't)... isn't worth his inability to backcheck or join the rush in time or the spot he steals from developing a prospect. People complain about AA not involved in the play, this is going to be hilarious.

What a depressing, gross pick-up.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
gotta have a spot to play him. I side with Pavels Dog to the point where I think the Wings are looking to make a trade up front, but I also know from previous rumors/trades that Holland won't deal unless he thinks he has some good value to it.
I don't get this.

If you sign Vanek first, people know you've got to unload something to make room. It gives them more leverage over you. Not a ton but some that wasn't necessary to give them. Guys like Vanek are so pointless in our situation. He didn't even bring anything at the deadline last season. Plus would it have killed us to wait a few days while Holland kicks tires on trades up front? Was Vanek really that much in demand? No other non-Vaneks that could have reasonably filled that role?
Which means what? That we signed Vanek for nothing to trade AA? That seems really pointless. Could have just given a spot to Rasmussen/Zadina and traded AA anyway.
Are GMs that easily tricked? Surely they can see what we've seen. AA players better with Vanek. Happened last time. Let's say it happens again. They aren't going to forget last season or the rumors/signs about his work ethic. What does this one more season with Vanek even mean? Wow you put a speed demon with hands on a line with another skilled but slower player and he'll be productive. Imagine that. GMs need to see it again for them to consider AA.

Maybe that's what happens but sometimes you guys make it sound like AA just needs to put up numbers somehow and the context of how it was done and his past history/reputation would be ignored. I think even if he does well again with Vanek this year it won't make much difference to how GMs see him. He's played 100+ games. There's plenty they can look at.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Noooooooo

I imagine that Holland has a big bowl of NMC's on his desk and after negotiating the contract he says "be sure to grab one on your way out!"

The Green signing is fine. This Vanek one I'm not really a fan of. Yes he provides some scoring in the right role, but also poor defense, little to nothing at the deadline, and takes up a roster spot with a guy who has no future on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->