TSN: Vanek to Columbus

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Not sure 10 decent games calls for a feast of crow with a side order of foot in mouth.

I'm happy that he's working out & has found chemistry with Boone but he has to continue to perform into the playoffs. I expected nothing from him & have been pleasantly surprised. Maybe this is the "perfect situation" you keep hearing about but it's still too early to tell.

If he goes totally AWOL again come playoff time it all becomes a waste of time.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Well even if that's true, if he helped them get IN the playoffs and/or improved their seed, then I entirely disagree. And it seems that he's helping them do just that...

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Well even if that's true, if he helped them get IN the playoffs and/or improved their seed, then I entirely disagree. And it seems that he's helping them do just that...

Since you want to put words in my mouth, I'll put words in your mouth.

Well even if that's true that he helped them get into the playoffs &/or improved their seed you'd be more than happy with a meek first round exit?

Who cares if they improve their seed if they go out early & meekly? I suppose they could go deep into the playoffs or even win the Stanley Cup without any contribution from Vanek, hence my "AWOL" comment, but I highly doubt it.

BTW, I don't credit him with getting us into the playoffs because I believe they were going to make it anyway & Bob has waaaaaay more to do with that than anyone else. Don't get me wrong though, Vanek has been very good for multiple games & this makes everybody here happy. He just has to shake off his playoff label & we'll all be ecstatic.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We tend to make snap judgements and people just pile on. Vanek is who he is. He's not as bad as some were making him out to be. He can provide secondary scoring and has. We need some secondary scoring, along with primary scoring. The good part of this is that now Jenner and Wennberg are contributing.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Well even if that's true that he helped them get into the playoffs &/or improved their seed you'd be more than happy with a meek first round exit?

Who cares if they improve their seed if they go out early & meekly? I suppose they could go deep into the playoffs or even win the Stanley Cup without any contribution from Vanek, hence my "AWOL" comment, but I highly doubt it.

BTW, I don't credit him with getting us into the playoffs because I believe they were going to make it anyway & Bob has waaaaaay more to do with that than anyone else. Don't get me wrong though, Vanek has been very good for multiple games & this makes everybody here happy. He just has to shake off his playoff label & we'll all be ecstatic.
I'd be more concerned about Bob's playoff label than Vanek's, but, meh.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
3 bad games "bad trade, invisible player, hes too old, too slow etc"
8 much better games "well lets see what happens, too small of a sample size to eat crow"
so a couple negative games can create a strong opinion but over double those as positive games earns a wait and see, but he'll probably be bad" This thread is the Columbus board in a nutshell

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Not sure 10 decent games calls for a feast of crow with a side order of foot in mouth.

I'm happy that he's working out & has found chemistry with Boone but he has to continue to perform into the playoffs. I expected nothing from him & have been pleasantly surprised. Maybe this is the "perfect situation" you keep hearing about but it's still too early to tell.

Put me in Monk's camp. In my mind, getting into the playoffs is still a big deal. We're not in Pittsburg or Washington franchise territory where the playoffs are a given - at least in fans' minds. Who's to say what would have happened without the roster additions, but in my mind Vanek has helped boost our offensive output thru his own stats and clicking with Boone and Wennberg and solidified a chance of our franchise's first back-to-back playoff appearance.... and that's cool by me.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
There's no denying that his first few games were forgettable but the chemistry he and Boone currently have is obvious. There have been a couple of moments he has made me nervous (like the late penalty he took last night that was not very smart) but otherwise having him out there is infinitely better than playing Hannikainan (sp?) or Gerbe. If the price is right, I would even welcome him back next year.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Nobody is putting anything in anybody's mouth. If he did what I said he did, and I believe he did, then I disagree. And I do. I was stating my opinion, not yours.

And yes, I'd prefer they make the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round instead of not making the playoffs at all. Easy answer for me. What's the problem here again?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
We tend to make snap judgements and people just pile on. Vanek is who he is. He's not as bad as some were making him out to be. He can provide secondary scoring and has. We need some secondary scoring, along with primary scoring. The good part of this is that now Jenner and Wennberg are contributing.
Your post somehow implies Vanek was an unknown commodity before the trade, and then people made a snap judgement and called him bad after he struggled in his first games. That's not the case at all. Vanek has a long history of being terrible, especially when the pace and speed of game picks up (namely playoff hockey). In fact, if anyone is making snap judgements here, it's the people who are basing his value from the last games when he's been good.

Who knows, maybe he found some lighting in the bottle here with correct linemates and goes on playing well without being a liability the rest of the way including playoffs. Something he hasn't done in years. We'll see about that.

(the trade was good no matter what, since he was a free asset)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
One interesting thing of note, Jenner has won 42 of 68 faceoffs at a 61% clip in March. Puck possession will help that line out obviously.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
One interesting thing of note, Jenner has won 42 of 68 faceoffs at a 61% clip in March. Puck possession will help that line out obviously.
Putting Jenner with Wennberg was a brilliant move on Torts part. Jenner is excellent on the dot but questionable at center. Wennberg is terrible on the dot and excellent at the center position otherwise.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Your post somehow implies Vanek was an unknown commodity before the trade, and then people made a snap judgement and called him bad after he struggled in his first games. That's not the case at all. Vanek has a long history of being terrible, especially when the pace and speed of game picks up (namely playoff hockey). In fact, if anyone is making snap judgements here, it's the people who are basing his value from the last games when he's been good.

It's pretty safe to say that I take fans judgement of what is "terrible" at face face value; meaning in a lot of cases it's fans that do they same thing we do.

I've watched Vanek over the years. No you don't put him out there in the defensive zone against top lines. You manage his minutes and you put him in where he can succeed. In certain games on the road you give him a night off. He can help the PP and he can produce in limited minutes. He's doing exactly what he does.

He's not terrible; he's an aging skill player. Fans have a really low bar on what they consider "terrible". I don't anticipate that he'll be as effective in the playoffs, where the competition is higher, beyond helping out on the PP. Having said that, we probably wouldn't be on this roll without his contributions making the playoff conversation moot.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Putting Jenner with Wennberg was a brilliant move on Torts part. Jenner is excellent on the dot but questionable at center. Wennberg is terrible on the dot and excellent at the center position otherwise.

I agree with some of this. I'm think I'm the only one around here that doesn't have an issue with Jenner as a center, but I tend to live on the fringes.

Having said that, I have no idea why Jenner hasn't taken more faceoffs over the years. Torts can be a bit slow. Beyond that I thought Wennberg would have improved by now. I'm starting to lead toward trading Wennberg.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree with some of this. I'm think I'm the only one around here that doesn't have an issue with Jenner as a center, but I tend to live on the fringes.

Having said that, I have no idea why Jenner hasn't taken more faceoffs over the years. Torts can be a bit slow. Beyond that I thought Wennberg would have improved by now. I'm starting to lead toward trading Wennberg.
I think this end of the season and the playoffs (if we make it) will be a huge test for Wennberg and will play a huge factor in his future Columbus. The potential is there, everyone can see it, but will he ever put it all together consistently?

Maybe this past deadline was a wake-up call, he's been playing much better but he's gotta produce consistently or he's expendable for a upgrade.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Sounds like consensus among the detractors so lets just take away goals and assists and where are the CBJ's in the standings. Would CBJ still be a three line team? Would his linemates be playing even better? Would teams defense them the same way. I would like to actually know what bust stats people here are always talking about. Can't be Buffalo, the Islanders (44 pts in 47 games) or Montreal (15pts in 18 games). Maybe Florida where he put up 10 pts in 20 games playing on a team spiraling into oblivion , or maybe Min. where he put up 39 goals and 91 pts playing in a defensive scheme over his two year stay, not to mention playing hurt in season one among other things. Maybe 34 pts in 63 playoff games? Can we get somebody to give us their bad bad bad numbers that generate all this crap?...A ton of judgment here, few facts , plenty of misconceptions , rumors and a little hate.. Maybe somebody from Detroit should chime in about their assessment . I always thought they were one of the more astute fan bases.We are talking a 2 mil guy here who has played how many games now?

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
where are the CBJ's in the standings. Would CBJ still be a three line team? Would his linemates be playing even better? Would teams defense them the same way. I would like to actually know what bust stats

I'm with you on this. Vanek and Cole have actually brought so much I have realized some of the guys I thought were critically important either need to light a fire under own their asses, or they need to move on.

Vanek in his early years in Buffalo was a beast.. I'd like to see him relive some of the glory years right here in Cbus.

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
Vanek has a long history of being terrible, especially when the pace and speed of game picks up (namely playoff hockey).

Okay, I am obviously a bit biased as I am Austrian. But still, I cannot see why Vanek has a long history of being terrible. Vanek has never had a season with less than 40 points in his whole career. He is currently the player with the second most points this season on the CBJ roster. Okay, I agree that he is slow and I agree that defensively he can be a liability on some nights. But even so, a guy who usually scores 20+ goals and around 50 points can't be called terrible, even if he is bad defensively.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Okay, I am obviously a bit biased as I am Austrian. But still, I cannot see why Vanek has a long history of being terrible. Vanek has never had a season with less than 40 points in his whole career. He is currently the player with the second most points this season on the CBJ roster. Okay, I agree that he is slow and I agree that defensively he can be a liability on some nights. But even so, a guy who usually scores 20+ goals and around 50 points can't be called terrible, even if he is bad defensively.

I'll try and sum this up. Fans are tribal and tend to be very unforgiving. They also tend to suck at player evaluation as it pretty much stops at stats. With the invention of advanced stats in the age of asking of simply asking Google, we're losing the ability for critical thought.

The bar of terrible is pretty much if enough fans say it and they can parrot it (he's slow, as an example). The rest of the fans will just tend to pile on. We had that starting with Jenner recently.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->