TSN: Vanek to Columbus

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Nothing to get super excited about, but it's better than doing nothing and leaving the 4th as it was. We have a completely different looking 4th line from simply a few weeks ago.

Gerbe/Sedlak-Letestu-Vanek

Could be a huge help to the top 9

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
So basically we trade Saad+Forsberg+5th for Panarin+Vanek+6th lol

What a steal. Motte wasn't going to climb the depth chart here, and Jokinen was useless. I'm curious to see where Vanek slots in to the lineup when Foligno comes back.

Adding Letestu and Vanek to our 2nd PP unit may be a huge boost, too.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Vanek is making his end of career tour but we can use him! He was picked up for the power play... JJ is now expendable too...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
An OK move. Unless Motte turns out to be something.

Will be interesting to see him with Panarin.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nickname is "Tomas Vanish" for the playoffs.
Given that you and those who cluster around you have spent most of the time insisting that we're likely going to miss the playoffs, I think judging this move based on that might be a little hypocritical.

No, it's not a perfect move that solves all our problems, but it likely addresses quite a few of them, and we didn't have to pay anything of value.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Given that you and those who cluster around you have spent most of the time insisting that we're likely going to miss the playoffs, I think judging this move based on that might be a little hypocritical.

No, it's not a perfect move that solves all our problems, but it likely addresses quite a few of them, and we didn't have to pay anything of value.

Apologist for failed management team. Yippee for Viqui

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I like this better than most as it gives us a player who can score (still an important part of the game that never goes out of style). He may prove to clash with Torts as the coach doesn't tolerate skill players who aren't giving it their all (all as defined by Torts).

But as I look at one potential line up - not the one we'll see - it looks better than the one before these trades.

Panarin-Dubois-Andy
Vanek-Wennberg-Cam
Foligno-Dubi-Bjork
Jenner-Letestu-Calvert

(Switch up the RWs however you like)

This combo allows us to roll out a 4th line, move a scorer into the top six, and have a solid 3rd - a tough 3rd if you have Andy there and move up Cam and Bjork. The 4th liners will get more minutes than usual as all can kill penalties.

Vanek may not be able to stick in the top 6, but that's where I'm going to try and jump start the O.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't see this working out either but given the price of a fringe prospect and literal dead weight, as well as the team's complete inability to generate any consistent offense, why not take the chance?

The playoff nomiker (I edited it) wasn't accurate. No issue with him coming here. He's an offensive piece the team can use.

It's an OK move. Unless Motte turns out to be something.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I really, really like this move. Jarmo absolutely fleeced Benning (unless Motte pulls a Karlsson next season).

Worth noting, Vanek has been pretty hot lately.

Last 6 games:

2 goals. (Scored in his last game)
2 assits.
4 points.
19 shots on goal.
+3

————

He seems to get hotter the later the season gets, which bodes well for us. He has 52 points in 57 career games in April. That’s.. insanely good.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The playoff nomiker (I edited it) wasn't accurate. No issue with him coming here. He's an offensive piece the team can use.

If he turns out to be something, add him to the JAM, Wild Bill list. :naughty:

......this Board has been fritzing out all day.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Compare and contrast.

I point out that dismissing Vanek as "Tomas Vanish" is silly:
Apologist for failed management team. Yippee for Viqui

Samkow points out the exact same thing at the same time - that dismissing Vanek as "Tomas Vanish" is silly:

And the post is edited to remove that dismissal entirely, replaced with cautious platitudes (of the same type that are in that reply).

So evidently I'm not able to debate with @Cyclones Rock here anymore, because it doesn't matter what I say; he's already preemptively decided I'm wrong, even if I'm saying exactly the same thing as someone else that he ultimately agrees with.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
People doubting this move.. let me remind you:

Vanek had a 5 point game against Chicago this season.
Vanek had a 4 point game against Montreal this season.

Even though he is 34, he is still a consistent point producer and goal scorer.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Viqsi, CR..........Before the nights over I'm going to put together a post that elicits "likes" from both of you which will be the first step towards peace accord......well, maybe I'm not that good - but it's happened before (the two likes, that is). :nod:

Reactions: Halfboard and Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->