Proposal: Vanek maybe available

• Thread starter Bi Coastal Bawse*
  • Start date

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Lots of talk trade rumors and free agent talk about Buffalo having a fire sale. I know lots of people here love Vanek.

If he were available would u want the Bs to pursue him and if yes what would u send Buffalo?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Hasn't there only been one trade between these two teams IN HISTORY?

Especially after Chia fleeced them in that trade (Paille), I don't see why anyone would think Buffalo and Boston would even consider trading

David Krejci*

1. Don't have the cap space
2. Don't have a roster spot (none of Vanek/Iginla/Eriksson are playing 3rd line)
3. Buffalo wouldn't trade him here

It'd be nice to get him though, if only to have him not score a million goals against us. -1000% chance of it happening though.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Why would they trade him one week into the season?

Because it's not like he's here helping a winning team score goals :laugh:

And ideally, we'd like something back versus watching him walk to Minnesota via free agency with no compensation for Buffalo.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Hasn't there only been one trade between these two teams IN HISTORY?

Especially after Chia fleeced them in that trade (Paille), I don't see why anyone would think Buffalo and Boston would even consider trading

B's send Andre Savard to Buffalo for Peter McNab.
McNab went on to have several good to great scoring years for the B's.
If my memory is correct.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
If my memory is correct.

Nope. See the post below.

The only trade between Buffalo and Boston directly was Dan Paille and we fleeced them. Gave them a 3rd round pick who only played a handful of games for them.

Vanek's going home to Minnesota.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
If my memory is correct.

Some sources list that as a trade....I think the Bruins media guide doesn't because Savard was a free agent signing in 1976 and McNab was sent as compensation, per the rules of the time.

No room for Vanek here, besides, he would bail after the season. Buffalo should wait until the deadline to deal him unless they get blown away by an offer....more teams could fit him under their cap in March.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Lots of talk trade rumors and free agent talk about Buffalo having a fire sale. I know lots of people here love Vanek.

If he were available would u want the Bs to pursue him and if yes what would u send Buffalo?

nope, team is more than deep enough at this stage

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I would love it if they were able to get him since he's one of the most underrated players in the league, IMO, but I can't see it happening for the reasons most outlined above.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
nope, team is more than deep enough at this stage

There is no such thing as being too deep and having too much talent. If you can afford it, you add a guy like this all the time. The problem is that they can't afford it in terms of cap space and cost to obtain.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

If the Bruins were to trade for him they would need to clear enough salary to fit him and to do that I think they would need to move one of Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, or Iginla. I don't know how anyone else feels but I would rather just keep those guys.

If the possibility existed to ad him at the deadline I could see the merits of a deal for him if they had an injury in the top 6.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I don't think I want him. Let Buff ship him out west to a team with money to spend. If there is anyway we can drive up the price so that he doesn't end up in the Eastern conference that would be great but other than that, I don't sniff it.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
As far as the Bruins, simply repeating what everyone's said above, I just don't see a way to fit his salary under the cap this season without significant money going the other way, and I don't see Buffalo wanting to take on that salary. Buffalo will trade him somewhere to a contender before the deadline for a run.

Plus, it really sounds like if it comes to signing an extension wherever he lands would be a tough sell. Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has made it pretty clear that signing Vanek in the offseason is a priority, but after giving up so much in the Pominville trade (which was also a solid move to help "lure" Vanek to Minnesota) I highly doubt they do it again to trade for Vanek during the season.

So he'll go to a contender for a playoff run that has the cap space to take him, then he'll sign in Minnesota as a FA.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=53730&blogger_id=186#.UlVWCDK9KSM

Last night a solid source informed me that If Thomas Vanek is moved prior to the Trade Deadline, his destination of choice would be Minnesota Wild. Fitting since he played for the Gophers in 2004, Vanek has had his off-season home in Minneapolis and trains in Edina, Minnesota. His wife is from Minnesota and he has always wanted to play in Minny, especially having good friend Jason Pominville there increases his desire to be there.

member 96824

"We hate you, heres our best player"

Cant say you see thay everyday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad