Vanek - 3 goals in 27 games

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
What is up with him? He is on pace for 8 goals this season. You look at their roster and their record and something doesnt match up. For the talent this squad has, their record should be a lot better than 4 games above .500.

They have a stacked top 6 and their bottom two lines are loaded with young talent. I think their top 6 are really underachieving. These guys should be tearing it up offensively. They have 4 very good 2 way forwards with two being two of the best in the league (Parise, Koivu).

Parise
Vanek
Koivu
Granlund
Pominville
Niederrieiter
Coyle

Vanek to me has always been a guy who flourished the most when playing with lesser talented mates (Buffalo), he was a beast in his prime with Buffalo with two 40+ goal seasons and two 30+ goal seasons.. But when you surround him with more talent around him (Montreal), his play drops off considerably. 3 goals in 27 games is just unacceptable for Vanek, a guy who was expected to be the Wilds top sniper. Remember, Vanek was THE best forward available at last years deadline.

But I think the most important question to ask is, is Vaneks prime over?

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
He picked up where he left during the last playoffs.

What a disappointment.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
He should end with ~20goals and puck luck reversing for him. Still a poor man's lazy Parise. Players like Vanek never age well, it was just a matter of time till his skating, front of the net style, and "determination" caught up with him. He's an awful fit for Yeo's system too. Still expect him to finish with 20goals/60pts, but people have to realize he's not the all star winger he used to be.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He's been on 4 teams last year or so...the lack of chemistry is palpable. Lots of missed passes ad miscommunications. Should improve.

The wild PP has been pathetic all around. No puck movement and our zone entries are elementary. Watching the Sharks PP last night made me cringe. It wa night and day from the Wild's. Vanek should be getting points through the Pp. Goals specifically.

Vanek has been good passing the puck. All told he still is generating good chances every night so I'm inclined to wait.

The gambling thing is another distraction

All in all Vanek has been a disappointment. So too has our entire top 6 as OP pointed out. Koivu looks good recently and Parise too of course but that's about it. Granlund has been invisible and Pominville looks weak and can't finish anything. Hopefully we can turn it around. Mike Yeos seat SHOULD heat up if we don't see some improvement. Too much talent to be foiling just above .500.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Just another selfish, lazy player.

I hope he he loses his entire contract to the mob.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
What is up with him? He is on pace for 8 goals this season. You look at their roster and their record and something doesnt match up. For the talent this squad has, their record should be a lot better than 4 games above .500.

They have a stacked top 6 and their bottom two lines are loaded with young talent. I think their top 6 are really underachieving. These guys should be tearing it up offensively. They have 4 very good 2 way forwards with two being two of the best in the league (Parise, Koivu).

Parise
Vanek
Koivu
Granlund
Pominville
Niederrieiter
Coyle

Vanek to me has always been a guy who flourished the most when playing with lesser talented mates (Buffalo), he was a beast in his prime with Buffalo with two 40+ goal seasons and two 30+ goal seasons.. But when you surround him with more talent around him (Montreal), his play drops off considerably. 3 goals in 27 games is just unacceptable for Vanek, a guy who was expected to be the Wilds top sniper. Remember, Vanek was THE best forward available at last years deadline.

But I think the most important question to ask is, is Vaneks prime over?

Not sure about Vaneks struggles but this post confirms for me that the Wild are as overrated now as they were in August.

They aren't bad but some here talk like they should be 27-0.

Rask Decisions

Don't take it too seriously
Jul 6, 2006
Keansburg NJ
Vanek is approaching washed up status (a.k.a. the Dany Heatley zone), and the Wild are a fringe playoff team. Just like they almost always have been, and always will be under Mike Yeo.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
YES! I love the weekly bash Thomas Vanek thread.

Seriously though, what else needs to be said. He has a crap ton of assists, doesn't shoot when he probably should, and prone to stretches of vanish (Thomas Vanesh).

Reactions: randywoodsghost

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not sure about Vaneks struggles but this post confirms for me that the Wild are as overrated now as they were in August.

Wild have a) injury issues and b) chemistry issues. Let's not talk also about how strong the Central Division is and one loss can drop you to 5th place or the fact that the Blues are also overrated. Nope, Minnesota is overrated even though NO ONE HAS TALKED ABOUT THEM. They have 1 big issue and that's the PP but other than that, they have some wicked depth at forward and defense.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

It took that post to convince you that a 27-0 expectation was overrating a team?

Analyzer*

I was totally underwhelmed by his stint in Montreal and was glad he moved on.

Not really sure how you can say that.

During his time in the regular season here, he was good and helped boost Montreal to one of the best 5 on 5 teams from his arrival.

He sucked in the playoffs, but still had 5 goals, 5 assists in 17 games.

I think Vanek isn't "the" guy in Minnesota. He doesn't even seem to be the back up to "the" guy.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
He has virtually no chemistry with anyone on the team. And for some reason he's not shooting as much. He has shown flashes of brilliant passing. Think he's 3rd on the team in points.

Maybe he's just used to the team revolving around getting him the puck? Is that the way it was in Buffalo? That's just not how it works in Minnesota...

Bps21*

I wonder what people would do if his name couldn't easily be turned into Vanish.

...I always liked when pomminville had stretches of nothing to call him Pomminvisible.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Well those last two goals were really important goals. I don't think the wild would be good as they have been offensively this season without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->