Confirmed with Link: Vanecek back to the Capitals (2023 2nd round pick)

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
Now is a good time to re-evaluate what RF selected with respect to at least the Washington pick. Dillon should have been the pick, especially with the two 2nd rounders as the return.

Ultimately, would have likely been Kahkonen over Soucy with that in mind, which is also good imo. Would have been interesting to see what Kahkonen would have fetched opposed to Vanecek if we were going to sign Grubauer either way.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Poor asset management. No way around it.

Could have picked up a backup like Malcom Subban and gotten two 2nds out of Dillon. Chose to take Vanacek, and even if you didn't know you'd land Grubauer, you must have known you were going to still be looking in the goalie market and Vanacek was going to be a third string option.

Zadorov's rights were flipped for a 3rd today. Could have taken him and made that trade ourselves, instead we took Quennville who is now a UFA.

Took MacDermid over two promising recent 2nd round kids. Flipped him for what will be a very late 4th rounder from Colorado.

This all points to a lack of foresight from Francis, which is a touch disheartening. I like our roster well enough and am happy with today's signings, but if you knew you were going goalie shopping - even if you weren't sure who you'd land - than you could have taken a lesser goalie from one of the teams we threw our pick away with (CBJ, LAK, PHI, CHI) and come out of this with additional assets.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Now is a good time to re-evaluate what RF selected with respect to at least the Washington pick. Dillon should have been the pick, especially with the two 2nd rounders as the return.

Ultimately, would have likely been Kahkonen over Soucy with that in mind, which is also good imo. Would have been interesting to see what Kahkonen would have fetched opposed to Vanecek if we were going to sign Grubauer either way.
Living in the past gets you no where man

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Poor asset management. No way around it.

Could have picked up a backup like Malcom Subban and gotten two 2nds out of Dillon. Chose to take Vanacek, and even if you didn't know you'd land Grubauer, you must have known you were going to still be looking in the goalie market and Vanacek was going to be a third string option.

Zadorov's rights were flipped for a 3rd today. Could have taken him and made that trade ourselves, instead we took Quennville who is now a UFA.

Took MacDermid over two promising recent 2nd round kids. Flipped him for what will be a very late 4th rounder from Colorado.

This all points to a lack of foresight from Francis, which is a touch disheartening. I like our roster well enough and am happy with today's signings, but if you knew you were going goalie shopping - even if you weren't sure who you'd land - than you could have taken a lesser goalie from one of the teams we threw our pick away with (CBJ, LAK, PHI, CHI) and come out of this with additional assets.

and grubby re-signs with colorado.... then what..

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Wow, GMRF jumps on Grubauer which was actually one of the most proactive things he has done as the Kraken GM. He actually read the market correctly and was aggressive. Then, he panics and flips Vanecek back to Washington right away for a second, but it's in 2023. With all the goalie movement around the league today what's the hurry to trade right away?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wow, GMRF jumps on Grubauer which was actually one of the most proactive things he has done as the Kraken GM. He actually read the market correctly and was aggressive. Then, he panics and flips Vanecek back to Washington right away for a second, but it's in 2023. With all the goalie movement around the league today what's the hurry to trade right away?
Agreed, seems like he could have waited for more bids. I didn't even realize it was a 2023 pick, that makes it even worse.

Whatever though, I had market value at 2nd and 4th. 4th rd picks rarely make the NHL. Minor mistakes, though they seem to be adding up a bit.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Did you see the deal that brought Kuemper to Colorado. Zona got a 2022 first, Conner Timmons and a conditional pick......
The Coyotes, Blackhawks, and Buffalo need a goalie. Even with a 2023 2nd rounder all three would most likely be a higher pick than
what the Kraken got from Washington. Crazy.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I called this. Maybe they could’ve tried to get more than this back but I don’t think acquiring an under $800K young goalie with starting experience was the wrong expansion pick. How were they to know Winnipeg was going to overpay for Dillon? Clearly Seattle didn’t value him at one 2nd rd pick.

Reactions: The Marquis

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
I also do feel like we’re forming a solid team, but also leaving me with a “we could’ve done better”’ taste in my mouth. At least for now.

Agreed here.

I can't really poo poo on this move, outside of agreeing with the other replies about maybe waiting a bit longer. Taking Vanecek was the right move last Wednesday and I too did not see Grubauer being available. I think when the move presented itself, Francis jumped on it, and rightfully so.

Could we have done better than a '23 third....I'd like to think so.

Also something to be said about keeping relationships positive and open for future deals with Washington. Also looks good to other FAs that see how Seattle might have helped a player go back where he was happy. The small difference in ROI can't be fully quantified presently, but might blossom down the road.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Did you see the deal that brought Kuemper to Colorado. Zona got a 2022 first, Conner Timmons and a conditional pick......
The Coyotes, Blackhawks, and Buffalo need a goalie. Even with a 2023 2nd rounder all three would most likely be a higher pick than
You don’t think they already called those teams???

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA

FWIW Ron said that at least 6 teams contacted them about Vanacek. I'm assuming if a better deal than a 2nd was there, he would have taken it.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Thing is he was an asset with a time limit. Unless they were going to carry three goalies to start the season Vanacek isn’t waivers exempt.

So, once they signed Grubauer that clock started ticking.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
FWIW Ron said that at least 6 teams contacted them about Vanacek. I'm assuming if a better deal than a 2nd was there, he would have taken it.
Well then I guess the market has spoken. Thought he was worth slightly more than a second because of the low cap hit.

Arizona and Buffalo are in full tank mode, so they weren't gonna offer much but I'm a bit surprised that someone didn't add a sweetener (later round pick) to outbid the Caps. In the end the Caps got off easy on the expansion draft, they lost one 2nd rd but got two from the Dillon trade who was really worth one to begin with. So pretty much a wash.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Agreed, seems like he could have waited for more bids. I didn't even realize it was a 2023 pick, that makes it even worse.

Whatever though, I had market value at 2nd and 4th. 4th rd picks rarely make the NHL. Minor mistakes, though they seem to be adding up a bit.

I'm not sure why the pick being in 2023 would "make it worse".
By then that aging Capitals team will be two years older instead of just one and both drafts(2022 + 2023) are seen as pretty strong.

Overall I think @Loki Dog 74 has done a good overview of critisicm of Francis and what might have been possible.

Now I'm curious to see what Francis does about the roster until training camp.
Would've liked another solid C, but both Ryan and Glendenning have already been signed.

Reactions: LokiDog

MindRiot

Jul 9, 2021

This is my biggest gripe. I have no problem with Vanecek being the expansion pick. Winnipeg overpaid for Dillon. Tough to anticipate a team doing that, especially in the offseason when there is no immediate pressure to cement your lineup. Dillon went for less (2nd + conditional 3rd) at the 2020 trade deadline and that's when he was playing better than he was this past season.

The problem I have is moving Vanacek now. Odds are you could create a bidding war with teams that missed out on a goalie upgrade or couldn't afford one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad