Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Oh I heard it's really bad whenever the Devils face Canadian teams. Whenever O Canada is played some fans will chanting "YOU CAN KEEP IT" after the lyric "God keep our land" and even chanting LET'S GO DEVILS and the airhorns blowing when the American anthem is played. That is really bad. That would be the one (and only thing really) I would complain about instead of all this nit-picking nonsense.

Yeah I get very annoyed at the yelling, chanting, and insults during both national anthems. Some guy almost got into a fight against the Hurricanes because he refused to take his hat off during the anthem and some guy yelled at him and they went back and forth. It's five minutes... the easiest time in your life to display an ounce of respect.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah I get very annoyed at the yelling, chanting, and insults during both national anthems. Some guy almost got into a fight against the Hurricanes because he refused to take his hat off during the anthem and some guy yelled at him and they went back and forth. It's five minutes... the easiest time in your life to display an ounce of respect.

Wait to march 16 when lots of Habs fans won't stand up during our anthem. It happens when they come here in busloads.

IMO,everyone should stand and remove their hats for both anthems. Show respect for the players an fans on both teams.

And if someone does not remove their hat,wait until the anthem is over to yell at them if you must.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Wait to march 16 when lots of Habs fans won't stand up during our anthem. It happens when they come here in busloads.

IMO,everyone should stand and remove their hats for both anthems. Show respect for the players an fans on both teams.

And if someone does not remove their hat,wait until the anthem is over to yell at them if you must.

Yeah it's hit or miss with Habs fans. I've had Habs fans stand during our anthem and have intelligent hockey discussion the whole game...

Then I have Habs fans who sat behind me, asking me questions in English and being polite... but then talking among themselves in French insulting Americans and just saying some really nasty things. Guess what I took French classes and have lesson cds and books. I know what you're saying!

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah it's hit or miss with Habs fans. I've had Habs fans stand during our anthem and have intelligent hockey discussion the whole game...

Then I have Habs fans who sat behind me, asking me questions in English and being polite... but then talking among themselves in French insulting Americans and just saying some really nasty things. Guess what I took French classes and have lesson cds and books. I know what you're saying!

Yep,the younger ones I have seen who sit on purpose for some political reason?

March 16 is going to be a charged up crowd being retro game on a Saturday night on St Patrick's Day weekend with a few thousand Habs fans sprinkled in 17,625 folks.

Nevermind a huge game on the ice.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hopefully we win this time during retro night... I think like the old goal horn, Lou will scrap it haha.

Yep,like the first one vs Pitts.

Now is the time for fans to get tix,won't see any last minute promos for this one.
We don't want to look like Florida with literally half the crowd in Habs gear.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
First of all... I don't give a rat's behind what people in Ohio think of me. Second, there are children at every sporting event in the world. Maybe the onus should be on the parents to make sure the kids understand what is right and wrong and what an adult can say and what a kid should say... We are living in a PC society for 8 year olds as it is. Grab a seat cushion, an umbrella, and a book and go to a high school baseball game.

Like I said earlier... I don't support the "Flyers swallow" chant because it makes no sense. Hell, maybe Giroux said it's a tough place to play because he doesn't like being told he enjoys consuming gentleman's relish. Chants don't have to have bad words in them... I even liked the "Go Devs Go" chant the Diablos came up with... something simple and easy that the whole arena could catch on with and it would sound awesome... but it's gone.

Maybe the onus should be on adults to act in a proper manner when in the public place that is frequented by young children.

Telling those kids to go elsewhere is ridiculous.

While we're discussing chants...I can't stand the "kill kill kill" during the PK. Don't know what it is, aside from the lone moron sitting behind me yesterday that was screaming it at the top of his lungs... but I couldn't stand it when fans did that type of chant when I was back in college going to Northeastern games, either. The ones that last an entire PP/PK. Just annoys me.

Love the kill chant.

If you don't mind my input. ...

The chant isn't the problem.

When it's used 46 times a minute it is

Way overused.

It does seem to me at times that no other fanbase has anywhere close to the same frequency of fan-on-fan complaining and indignance than we do. Do Ranger fans start threads about how stupid the Potvin chant is?

People should worry about the stuff that actually can be offensive like all the anthem nonsense.

Given that kids are at these games, I think there is a legit gripe about Flyers swallows. And this(or the overuse of Rangers sucks) is predominantly what the complaining is about.

Is there even comparable low brow chants used in other arenas? Or is ours pretty much the bottom of the barrel?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Maybe the onus should be on adults to act in a proper manner when in the public place that is frequented by young children.

Telling those kids to go elsewhere is ridiculous.

yeah, that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
The playoff run definitely increased our fan popularity. I don't know if I would call it bandwagon fans, or just an influx of newer fans who never realized the excitement of the sport. I can think of 4-5 of my friends alone who barely watched any Devils game before last year, who now watch games regularly and try to attend games. It's great for the sport. Also many of the baby boomers born in the late 80's and early 90's are becoming adults now, which definitely helps ticket sales.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
The playoff run definitely increased our fan popularity. I don't know if I would call it bandwagon fans, or just an influx of newer fans who never realized the excitement of the sport. I can think of 4-5 of my friends alone who barely watched any Devils game before last year, who now watch games regularly and try to attend games. It's great for the sport. Also many of the baby boomers born in the late 80's and early 90's are becoming adults now, which definitely helps ticket sales.

Definitely think I would call it more 'new' fans than 'bandwagon' fans. I know plenty of people who bandwagoned hockey in the last year and a half. The overwhelming majority of which latched on to the Rangers as their wagon of choice. Not that the Devils don't have their bandwagoners, but it seems to be either in smaller quantities, or that there is just less associated obnoxiousness with them.

Advanced

May 22, 2012
New York City
The youth who embraced the Devils as children are old enough to buy tickets now + stick it to their ****** Rags/Flyer fan parents

Talking about me :P

Grew up in the 2000's as a kid watching the Devils dominate and now at 20 years old went to a couple of playoff games last year.
Been going to games since.

apice3*

One of the loudest moments of the playoffs for a game I was at - 20 seconds after Patty ties it up, Kovy puts us ahead and the crowd lost it - can barely hear the goal horn

omggggg kovy should be LW.........

Loudest moment I recall was just before game 1 vs. the Kings. They were playing that weird song for like 3-5 minutes with the red light pulsating. Then they did the sonar sound and it got quiet for a second. Then out of nowhere, the Hell's Bell's bell rang as mist shot out of the scoreboard and the place ****ing erupted. That **** gave me chills.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Concerning all the "fan etiquette" and whatnot, I was in the Diablos last season, but an increase in my workload (second job, grad school, etc.) meant I had to give up getting season tickets this season. A couple things I remember from last season:

1. The Diablos seemed to have an unspoken code to kill off any "Rangers Suck" whistle chants by starting "Let's Go Devils" chants. I honestly don't hate the whistle chant (our hatred for the Rangers is a defining feature of Devils fandom, it is what it is), but I kind of liked the insistence on keeping the chants Devils-focused, or the jeering chants focused on whichever team we were playing on a given night.

2. The "KILL!" chant on the PK worked great when we'd start out with a crescendo as the team on the PP broke into the zone. Like, they'd gather the puck in their end, enter the neutral zone, and we'd start with "oooooOOOOOOOH!" and then begin with "KILL!" once they entered the zone.

3. My personal favorite, and something I tried to bring over from section 208, was adding an extra chant after a goal. After the goal song ends, 208 usually does the "Brown Sugar" cheer: "I SAY YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! WOO!". It really worked in the Diablos section last year, but sadly it seems to be dead right now.

Honestly, I get a little sad looking at that section right now. There's still some great people in it, and people busting their butts to be creative, trying to stand the whole game, etc., but it seems like less people are standing the whole time, and we're not seeing things like NJ Devil standing by the section before the 2nd period starts.

That said, the energy in the entire building has made up for that, which is hard to knock.

THAT said, the "stupid fans" are a thing a lot of us are going to have to live with for awhile. We have a lot of young fans, some new bandwagon fans, and many of our older fans don't exactly come from a hockey-heavy background, so "hockey literacy" isn't always enormous among a portion of the fan base. It's something we'll live with as more fans stick around longer and get a better idea about the game.

There's no denying the positives of the energy we get at home games right now, but I do confess that I simply hope we don't develop into a fan base that buys into some kind of "bad boy" reputation like they do in Philly (ANY antics during ANY national anthem are inexcusable. Take off your hat, stand up, and hell, sing the songs!). Hopefully the fan base acts more like the team usually does: not looking to start trouble, but strong enough to make an emphatic statement if another team tries to do so.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I love that they now do the Hen-rik chants when we play the Rangers.

It was funny because after Henrique scored this year, they did a chant for him. And then right after, they did a slower one for Lundqvist.

When we did that in Game 6 of the ECF, it was probably the first time I ever heard it at a Devils arena, and it carried over this year.

Last edited:

Status Quo*

I love that they now do the Hen-rik chants when we play the Rangers.

It was funny because after Henrique scored this year, they did a chant for him. And then right after, they did a slower one for Lundqvist.

When we did that in Game 6 of the ECF, it was probably the first time I ever heard it at a Devils arena, and it carried over this year.

The Hen-rik chant happened during game 4 as well. Game 3 we wanted to do it but the Devils didn't score.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Hen-rik chant happened during game 4 as well. Game 3 we wanted to do it but the Devils didn't score.

Well it definitely wasn't as good as Game Six.

In the Devils/Rangers game this year, they did it again, which was awesome to see. It gets really loud because it's pretty much like a big f u back to the Rangers fans.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
My two cents on the chants from a view few of you on this board have,,a Dad of two girls now 13 and 9 who love coming to games.I'm not a fan of it but I dont mind the Rangers suck chant every now and then but when it becomes constant against a team like Winnipeg it becomes old fast..The second part of the chant is appalling. I used to tell my kids its Flyers follow..like following the Rangers in sucking. I can still get away with it with the 9 YO..The 13 Yo is kinda embarrassed by it and thinks its really stupid. You can cheer loud for the Devils without that awful chant. Also not a fan of the YOU SUCK after goals..Always find it odd how we chant that if we are down 3-0 and score a goal. Society in general had become more obnoxious. Everyone who loves the swallows chant get back to me when you take a 7yo girl to the game and she wants to know what it means. I still will not take them to a Rangers game. A few years back went with my friend and his 8 YO son and Rangers fans were chanting Brodeur takes it up the ass do da do da..That was fun watching him explain that.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

Children hear worse on daytime TV.

It is the parents job to let their children know that these chants are in fun and sometimes language can get you in trouble in the real world.

I personally love the you suck (I normally do not join in the swallows chant, been guilty of it before however) and the atmosphere over the last two years has been awesome.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Season ticket holder here and just want to weigh in.

Regarding the national anthem: it is nothing short of absurd that anyone would be offended by someone else sitting, not taking their hat off, etc. We live in the US, awesome. I'm grateful for that. Do I have to stand and participate in some nationalistic nonsense at an event, which I paid for and is entertainment to me? Ludicrous. Especially in a league where the majority of players and coaches are foreign born. Should I sing the national anthem before film viewings in a theater? How about dinner at a restaurant?

A guy attempted to pull this bs with me at the super bowl last year and was promptly told where he can shove his opinion. And if you feel any of us should be forced to participate in this crap, I believe you don't understand the point of the constitution, and therefor the nation, entirely.

The Chanting: "Rangers suck" is great... When we're playing the damn rags. I don't participate otherwise. Flyers swallow is pretty offensive - as I find it to be homophobic and/or misogynistic - and support the guy earlier in the thread who tells his children it's "Flyers follow." It would be nice to see that catch on as it would be a shame for our (mostly awesome) fan base get a reputation more worthy of the savages attending Rags or Cryers games.

"Hey! You suck!" is a part of the culture at this point and isn't going anywhere. Not to mention, it's pretty frickin' fun.

"KILL!": it's fantastic. Why anyone would be bothered by it is beyond me. I wish more people participated.

Children: I'm sorry to the breeders, but it's a professional sporting event. It's not my job to watch my language (there we go with the speech thing again), however, it is your job to help them distinguish between right and wrong. I get as annoyed with a loud, foul-mouthed, drunken oaf as much as the next guy. But if I'm having a conversation with an adult (which 99% of the arena consists of) next to me and the occasional ******* slips out, too bad. You should know what to expect walking into the arena. Perhaps bringing your child into a passionate environment in which many of the attendees are intoxicated isn't the best move.

Too many hypocrites to count itt. Everyone is jumping on the "the crowds have been great!", ""it's been so loud this year!", "our fan base has finally turned a corner!" bandwagon. Well, what exactly do you think they're yelling most of the time at these games?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->