Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
believe it or not, some people at the game are children. look, if the swallowing thing was clever, or had a slight redeeming quality anywhere I’d say whatever. but you really think by chanting ‘flyers swallow’ during a Senators game is making our building difficult to play in? its vulgar and embarrassing…if you told someone in ohio that new jersey chanted about other teams swallowing, they’d go ‘yup, that’s NJ for ya!’ which is even sadder. we can do better than that

First of all... I don't give a rat's behind what people in Ohio think of me. Second, there are children at every sporting event in the world. Maybe the onus should be on the parents to make sure the kids understand what is right and wrong and what an adult can say and what a kid should say... We are living in a PC society for 8 year olds as it is. Grab a seat cushion, an umbrella, and a book and go to a high school baseball game.

Like I said earlier... I don't support the "Flyers swallow" chant because it makes no sense. Hell, maybe Giroux said it's a tough place to play because he doesn't like being told he enjoys consuming gentleman's relish. Chants don't have to have bad words in them... I even liked the "Go Devs Go" chant the Diablos came up with... something simple and easy that the whole arena could catch on with and it would sound awesome... but it's gone.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If you don't mind my input. ...

The chant isn't the problem.

When it's used 46 times a minute it is

Absolutely.

I think the chants should be specific to whatever team we are playing number 1.

Number 2, stop chanting that other teams suck when we are losing.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
so you dont support the chant? youre just using this instance to rail against our 'PC' world? which includes a chant explaining that the flyers hockey organization swallows semen? you've lost me, man.

i am glad vanderbeek thanks us, though

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
While we're discussing chants...I can't stand the "kill kill kill" during the PK. Don't know what it is, aside from the lone moron sitting behind me yesterday that was screaming it at the top of his lungs... but I couldn't stand it when fans did that type of chant when I was back in college going to Northeastern games, either. The ones that last an entire PP/PK. Just annoys me.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
so you dont support the chant? youre just using this instance to rail against our 'PC' world? which includes a chant explaining that the flyers hockey organization swallows semen? you've lost me, man.

i am glad vanderbeek thanks us, though

No I just think the words sucks and swallows are nothing to get all upset about.

The reason I don't support the swallows chant is because it's not very meaningful. Chants should be centered around how lousy the other team is. How about a loud 1975 chant when the Flyers are in the building. Hell I would support a creative prostate exam chant for Lundqvists rubber gloves if we could come up with one.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
While we're discussing chants...I can't stand the "kill kill kill" during the PK. Don't know what it is, aside from the lone moron sitting behind me yesterday that was screaming it at the top of his lungs... but I couldn't stand it when fans did that type of chant when I was back in college going to Northeastern games, either. The ones that last an entire PP/PK. Just annoys me.

This one I actually like. I was in the lower level when we played Tampa... and it was really loud when Tampa was on the power play and it sounded really cool... the chant leading to a loud clear when the puck was cleared... made for a pretty cool atmosphere.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
No I just think the words sucks and swallows are nothing to get all upset about.

The reason I don't support the swallows chant is because it's not very meaningful. Chants should be centered around how lousy the other team is. How about a loud 1975 chant when the Flyers are in the building. Hell I would support a creative prostate exam chant for Lundqvists rubber gloves if we could come up with one.

:laugh:

Most inappropriate chant I've ever heard - my senior year in college, when Northeastern would get a powerplay. They'd do a call and reply chant "Gimme a B" "B!", etc. And spell out a word that begins with BU and ends in AKE (figure it out).

What does that spell?
_____
What does that mean?
TEAMWORK TEAMWORK TEAMWORK

So horrifically inappropriate, but so hilarious.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
This one I actually like. I was in the lower level when we played Tampa... and it was really loud when Tampa was on the power play and it sounded really cool... the chant leading to a loud clear when the puck was cleared... made for a pretty cool atmosphere.

I'm down with the "Kill" chant too on the PK.
As long as it's only done when the puck is in our zone..

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I do the Rangers suck chant but I don't continue into the Flyers part. Saying the other team sucks is pretty commonplace as a fan but shouting the flyers swallow is a little uncomfortable.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I personally don't care what anyone specifically yells I just want it to be loud in there. There was a guy in 129 against the flyers last week yelling "THE FLYERS WATCHED THE NOTEBOOK ON THE TEAM BUS!!!!" and other things like that. It was hilarious and got the whole section going.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
Absolutely.

I think the chants should be specific to whatever team we are playing number 1.

Number 2, stop chanting that other teams suck when we are losing.

This. Maybe if we did the whistle and a "[team we're playing right now] sucks!" chant, I'd be down with it. It just seems silly to me to do the Rangers chant at every game. I'm sitting there watching NJ play Ottawa or whoever and I'm thinking to myself, why are we talking about the Rangers right now? Our inferiority complex should be a thing of the past by now, shouldn't it?

If Rangers fans did a "Devils Suck!" chant 10 times a game, we'd be all over them for it.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This. Maybe if we did the whistle and a "[team we're playing right now] sucks!" chant, I'd be down with it. It just seems silly to me to do the Rangers chant at every game. I'm sitting there watching NJ play Ottawa or whoever and I'm thinking to myself, why are we talking about the Rangers right now? Our inferiority complex should be a thing of the past by now, shouldn't it?

If Rangers fans did a "Devils Suck!" chant 10 times a game, we'd be all over them for it.

No but they do chant about a guy who hasn't played in 20-30 years. Just as bad.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

The chant is about killing the penalt...oh never mind I just mis-read what you totally wrote.

Yeah call me in the minority but I actually like the whole "RANGERS SUCK" chant. (For the most part)

I guess if I were to make any revisions to it I would not chant that when we are losing and perhaps take out the "Flyers swallow" part because you can get away with the "sucks" - it's 2013 and that word is commonplace. It has different meanings to different people and is deemed acceptable in today's culture. However when a kid is there and they ask "what does that mean, what are they chanting?" What do you do in that situation? I don't think that could be comfortable at all for any parent.

While the whole "swallow" thing I don't really care what I really don't get is the hate for "Hey You Suck". What? People think that's tasteless as well? It gets the crowd amp'ed up and builds up a loud atmosphere.

Taking away Rangers suck, the chanting after the team scores, the "KILL KILL KILL" I feel some times our fanbase wants us to be as quiet as possible really...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We are living in a PC society for 8 year olds as it is. Grab a seat cushion, an umbrella, and a book and go to a high school baseball game.

We're also living in a society when the eight-year old is going to see and hear more vulgar things than some stupid chant at a hockey game on a daily basis anyway. Between TV, the Internet, video games, etc you can't exactly put the kids in a bubble and pretend it's the Donna Reed show out there.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
We're also living in a society when the eight-year old is going to see and hear more vulgar things than some stupid chant at a hockey game on a daily basis anyway. Between TV, the Internet, video games, etc you can't exactly put the kids in a bubble and pretend it's the Donna Reed show out there.

I also feel like sometimes parents (none here of course) would tell us we are too vulgar at hockey games while their kids are watching Jersey Shore and things like that.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I'm not offended by any chant but the Flyer one just comes off as tasteless. I like the "a$$hole" chant though.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I'm not offended by any chant but the Flyer one just comes off as tasteless. I like the "a$$hole" chant though.

Yeah but it seems to me that you can only hear that one if you are near by the Diablos section. If I'm on the otherside of the 100 level or in the lower bowl I can't really hear that one too well.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
This chant is funny. Devils/Isles on Long Island and the chant is about 2 totally different teams while in the visiting arena.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While the whole "swallow" thing I don't really care what I really don't get is the hate for "Hey You Suck". What? People think that's tasteless as well? It gets the crowd amp'ed up and builds up a loud atmosphere.

Taking away Rangers suck, the chanting after the team scores, the "KILL KILL KILL" I feel some times our fanbase wants us to be as quiet as possible really...

It does seem to me at times that no other fanbase has anywhere close to the same frequency of fan-on-fan complaining and indignance than we do. Do Ranger fans start threads about how stupid the Potvin chant is?

People should worry about the stuff that actually can be offensive like all the anthem nonsense.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
It does seem to me at times that no other fanbase has anywhere close to the same frequency of fan-on-fan complaining and indignance than we do. Do Ranger fans start threads about how stupid the Potvin chant is?

People should worry about the stuff that actually can be offensive like all the anthem nonsense.

Thank you. We complain way too much about what fans should say, shouldn't say, and so on.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Oh I heard it's really bad whenever the Devils face Canadian teams. Whenever O Canada is played some fans will chanting "YOU CAN KEEP IT" after the lyric "God keep our land" and even chanting LET'S GO DEVILS and the airhorns blowing when the American anthem is played. That is really bad. That would be the one (and only thing really) I would complain about instead of all this nit-picking nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->