OT: Vancouver's best optometrist

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
I'm a relatively new member of the glasses/contacts community. I got my first pair of glasses three years ago and have gone from a -1.5 to a -2.75 in both eyes in the last three years. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and am concerned my current optometrist isn't giving me the whole story.

I am looking for a second opinion/new optometrist. Can you guys recommend anyone in the Vancouver area (preferably westside)?

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
How old are you? If you are in your mid 20's or older I would be suspicious as well.

I don't know how one would be better than the other, considering requirements and all. Though having been to a new one recently, I can certainly attest to feeling rushed, regardless I didn't care as much. Maybe you should call before hand, and ask how much they charge? How long they have been practicing?

DreamCatcher*

I suggest you goto your doctor and they will set you up with an appointment with a ophthalmologist.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I don't think its all that big a change. Everyone's eyes develop at a different rate and change over time especially in your development years (before 25). I have friends who have -1 or -2 within a year in only one of their eyes, doing all normal things.

Even i am a interesting case, one of my eyes have gotten even better. I went from a -2 to -1.5 in one eye, over the course of 2 years (when i was 19- 21 years old). I'm almost 23 and i think my eyes are finally settling down.

I go to Mt. Pleasant Optometry, mainly because its close to home and they are nice. I am not too sure if they can solve your issues, but if all you are looking for is another prescription, maybe they can help.

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
Sometimes I gather vision simply gets worse, if your optometrist thinks that variation is all right it's probably all right. I think eye sight tends to vary more quickly the younger you are too.

At any rate, I know a couple of great optometrists who I trust completely, but they work out of West Vancouver.

Also, I have 20-15 vision which is pretty much perfect.

Last edited:

goss19

Oct 24, 2009
My eyes are -8.5.

I am yet to meet or encounter anyone with worse vision.

The Big Foot

Oct 12, 2008
In the interest of this subject being even remotely relevant to this forum, I went to a place on Broadway across from the old London Drugs a few years back and they claimed to be the "home of the Canucks" - lots of autographed pics and they said they tested and fitted all the members of the team. Can't remember what it was called.

Also my eyesight is -9.5 so take that goss19.

DogFoodEnforcer

Aug 2, 2005
im 26 now and had laser surgery about 5 years ago. before then i struggled with glasses and contacts, and ended up finding an amazing optometrist. turns out his dad was one as well, and the dad used to be my mom's optometrist.

his name is Dr. Simon Warner (i think there's an initial in there....J maybe?). His office is in Vancouver, i THINK on broadway, East of granville.

he is also an eye surgeon, and if he is not able to do something for you, he will send you to the best possible person that can. he sent me to a great eye surgery clinic which i was extremely happy with.

JazzyJazz

Apr 5, 2011
In the interest of this subject being even remotely relevant to this forum, I went to a place on Broadway across from the old London Drugs a few years back and they claimed to be the "home of the Canucks" - lots of autographed pics and they said they tested and fitted all the members of the team. Can't remember what it was called.

I know the clinic, I've been there, the clinic's name is Image Optometry, and the owner is Dr. Boyco, & he is the team Eye doctor for the Canucks: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=39884

BoHOnino

Oct 19, 2008
Vancouver
im 26 now and had laser surgery about 5 years ago. before then i struggled with glasses and contacts, and ended up finding an amazing optometrist. turns out his dad was one as well, and the dad used to be my mom's optometrist.

his name is Dr. Simon Warner (i think there's an initial in there....J maybe?). His office is in Vancouver, i THINK on broadway, East of granville.

he is also an eye surgeon, and if he is not able to do something for you, he will send you to the best possible person that can. he sent me to a great eye surgery clinic which i was extremely happy with.

Rather odd as most places wont do laser surgery until youre at the age of 25 + as your eyes continue to change until then.;)

Stefan It Up

Nov 19, 2008
B.C.
ThreadResurrection.jpg

JazzyJazz work for the good optometrist?

Nine to Five

Now Eight to Four!
Jul 7, 2009
My old optometrist was busted for falsifying insurance claims and he made the paper 10 odd years ago.
I almost felt like a celebrity

JazzyJazz

Apr 5, 2011
They are in fact the official eye care providers to the Vancouver Canucks. They're ca

They are in fact the official eye care providers to the Vancouver Canucks. They're Image Optometry

Last edited:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I've been thinking about getting glasses lately. Not because I need them, I did my get rid of the N test a few weeks back and did great on my ICBC eye test so I assume I'm near perfect, but anyways I would like to look fashionable and smart at school. I'm thinking about getting those hot black frames and was wondering how I go about doing this. Will an eye doctor be able to get me lenses that do nothing?

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sometimes I gather vision simply gets worse, if your optometrist thinks that variation is all right it's probably all right. I think eye sight tends to vary more quickly the younger you are too.

At any rate, I know a couple of great optometrists who I trust completely, but they work out of West Vancouver.

Also, I have 20-15 vision which is pretty much perfect.

20-15 from my understanding isn't perfect, it's more like just normal for people with healthy eyesight. The 20-20 is sort of a minimum where you are good enough. Using the word 'perfect' is misleading in general, because there's always some distance at which you can't see clearly. Even in relative terms (i.e. just for humans), it's not 'perfect' since there are people with better than 20-15 vision.

As for the OP, I wouldn't worry about it. People are right, your eyes keep developing into your early twenties. Honestly, I had thought it was closer to 20 than 25 but I could be remembering wrong. I just remember my dad (who's an optometrist) telling me I had the second step of astigmatism when I was roughly 20, but saying that the good news was that I was at the point where my eye would change minimally in coming years and so I probably had nothing to worry about till my late 30s early 40s.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
discordant concord, if you feel you haven't yet received the answer you're looking for PM me (or another mod) and I/we will consider reopening this thread briefly. I realize your post is Vancouver specific, but it has nothing to do with hockey and I'm sure there are better places to get opinions than from the scruffy knuckle-dragging crew we have around here.

bo2shink*

I'm a relatively new member of the glasses/contacts community. I got my first pair of glasses three years ago and have gone from a -1.5 to a -2.75 in both eyes in the last three years. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and am concerned my current optometrist isn't giving me the whole story.

I am looking for a second opinion/new optometrist. Can you guys recommend anyone in the Vancouver area (preferably westside)?

Not that it's worth much, but I go to Blink! in Yaletown. They seem to know how to use all the equipment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad