Vancouver's B.C. Place Scouted By D-Backs as an Emergency Stadium

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting news. Vancouver's a nice city, just not sure they're a MLB city even in an emergency. Have to see what happens with this story.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I wonder how many other cities have they visited for emergency situations over something like the retractable roof not working?

They would have to work around the Lions and Whitecaps schedule. Looking at a glance, half of the D-Backs homestand conflicts with a Whitecaps game. Nothing directly with the Lions but then there's time it would take to convert the field to other uses.

Seems like a strange story for the D Backs to confirm. Houston, Texas and Miami all play in retractable roof stadiums in hot weather locations too. Have they made visits to other cities?

The D Backs lease is up after the 2027 season though there is a buyout after the 2022 campaign. Vancouver seems like a strange location to use as leverage if that's their plan. Many logistical hurdles including BC Place being a suitable venue. They wouldn't control the place like they do with Chase Field.

Maybe split city proposals are staring to become fashionable :laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Interesting news. Vancouver's a nice city, just not sure they're a MLB city even in an emergency. Have to see what happens with this story.

Vancouver would be able to do fine with a team there temporarily as it would be something new to go see, but Vancouver as an MLB city full-time will never work IMO. For a short period, I think it would be fine.

Vancouver isn't a sports town.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
giphy.gif

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Vancouver is not a baseball city. The stadium is in the middle of a city, and if a home run goes over the stadium, it'll hit one of the cars driving nearby!

Nah, I'm fine with it. :laugh:

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I wonder how many other cities have they visited for emergency situations over something like the retractable roof not working?

They would have to work around the Lions and Whitecaps schedule. Looking at a glance, half of the D-Backs homestand conflicts with a Whitecaps game. Nothing directly with the Lions but then there's time it would take to convert the field to other uses.

Seems like a strange story for the D Backs to confirm. Houston, Texas and Miami all play in retractable roof stadiums in hot weather locations too. Have they made visits to other cities?

The D Backs lease is up after the 2027 season though there is a buyout after the 2022 campaign. Vancouver seems like a strange location to use as leverage if that's their plan. Many logistical hurdles including BC Place being a suitable venue. They wouldn't control the place like they do with Chase Field.

Maybe split city proposals are staring to become fashionable :laugh:
I think most large cities have a university or two around that have similar size playing fields. The Vikings played at the Gophers stadium the year the Metrodome collapsed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad