OT: Vancouver Whitecaps (and general soccer) 2021

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Heard a rumour that two West Van real estate families are exploring a CPL team on the North Shore.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Heard a rumour that two West Van real estate families are exploring a CPL team on the North Shore.
I would probably go often to support. It’ll be cheap and the ownership groups for the whitecaps and canucks are ugh

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Hahahaha i mean a "DP "and "Legit" by whitecap standards.

This franchise can be summed up by the cheapness around the Camilo Saga.
Didn't the owners basically pockets much/most of the transfer fee money from the Davies deal (ie., keep the money for themselves rather than invest it back into the club)? Think that involved considerably lot more money?

And remember, these are owners likely as rich as the Aquilini's. The Aquilini's might want to get involved too much in a sports teams operations but they aren't cheap. Whitecaps owners? They seem like Melnyk clones.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Didn't the owners basically pockets much/most of the transfer fee money from the Davies deal (ie., keep the money for themselves rather than invest it back into the club)? Think that involved considerably lot more money?

And remember, these are owners likely as rich as the Aquilini's. The Aquilini's might want to get involved too much in a sports teams operations but they aren't cheap. Whitecaps owners? They seem like Melnyk clones.

I am unclear on the mechanics of the football transfer market and player salaries but it was reported that VWFC spent the most in transfer fees in 2020 for CONCACAF teams and it is already higher in 2021. The team may have sat on the cash since 2018, but they have been spending a lot in the last 2 years.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

They tried to "invest" the earnings into their academy (where they were going to pocket it) but Don Garber knew better and advised them to spend the money. This is why I think they spent their wad on Adnan and Cava.

Ownership group could care less about the value of the team as a winner. The key value is in the relocation fee which is why I am convinced the end game is to eventually sell the team. Part of me wishes the owners had gotten their wish and gotten their soccer specific stadium at waterfront. There would have been more incentive from the get go to boost the value to a local buyer in the long run. Instead...we are stuck with a leaseheld stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Pedro vite

E8C9-ouVUAECkYm

Reactions: Kreator

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Gauld looks very good and entertaining.

No disrespect to Alphonso but he wasn’t established at the time and was very raw (he still is).

First time since Pedro that we have someone who can really make things click.

Reactions: Kreator and Jyrki21

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
A very good signing. I hate the whitecaps FO. Yet the Gauld signing could be a game changer if they surround him with talent.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Just switched from Shaw back to Telus and have cable for the first time in years.
Caught the caps game tonight. Not as fun to watch on TV. I miss being able to go to the games for super cheap when I was still in van.

What’s the deal with them not being in BC place for a year and a half? Are there renovations going on? Obviously COVID… when did this season start?

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Just switched from Shaw back to Telus and have cable for the first time in years.
Caught the caps game tonight. Not as fun to watch on TV. I miss being able to go to the games for super cheap when I was still in van.

What’s the deal with them not being in BC place for a year and a half? Are there renovations going on? Obviously COVID… when did this season start?
Border was opened by Canada to Americans

this was pretty recently and it got the blue jays home too

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I grew up in Van on Lenarduzzi and Valentine.

If you ain't jealous you ain't much of a Whitecaps fan.

The only reason Canada made its single - first and last - ever World Cup berth in 1986 was because of those two and the goalkeeper.

Zero goals in the big tourney though. Ugh. That hurt.

Anyways...

Soccer has been crazy popular in my Vancouver and in Toronto but it's crickets elsewhere, even though youth play it a lot.

Last edited:

Gus Adams

Jan 7, 2020
Caio Alexandre is done for the season after surgery, which sucks not because he lit the world on fire, but because that basically guarantees more playing time for Teibert.
Hopefully Baldisimo gets some of that time, but yeah I'm sure we'll see a lot of Russ for the rest of the year.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

The only reason Canada made its single - first and last - ever World Cup berth in 1986 was because of those two and the goalkeeper.

Anyways...

Soccer has been crazy popular in my Vancouver and in Toronto but it's crickets elsewhere, even though youth play it a lot.
Dad is good friends with Valentine. Brother even dated his daughter.

Nice guy and a Vancouver staple.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Anyways...

Owen Hargreaves "turned his back" on playing for Canada (and to be fair to him, tough to knock his decision really considering the state of "football" then for "Team Canada" then). He was that good enough to play for England though his career seemed to be of unfulfilled potential (though to be honest, I didn't follow him after to left Canada). I think he was one of the rare few that played for England that wasn't born there (again, I'm no expert so I could be wrong).

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Haven't watched more than 10 mins of Whitecaps this year. What a joke of a franchise. Needs new owners and a total reboot.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Haven't watched more than 10 mins of Whitecaps this year. What a joke of a franchise. Needs new owners and a total reboot.
The Canucks should be sold to adults, and Frankie Blueberries should own the Lions and Whitecaps. He is comfortable spending to a level that could dominate those leagues. I am not saying he’s cheap with the Canucks. I know he isn’t. His meddling and spending could be impactful in cfl and mls though.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad