OT: Vancouver Whitecaps (and general soccer) 2021

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Does MDS get 7-9 years to turn the Whitecaps around?

At least the Caps are better than TFC, I guess.
I actually don't think they are.

TFC just beat one of the best teams in the league in the New England Revolution.

I'd rather be TFC right now than the Caps, and I think TFC would be more likely to beat the Caps than vice versa.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Classic Whitecaps.

1.Bring in Legit DP Striker.
2.Hype up a potential DP #10 to service their DP striker for a year.
3.Sign DP #10 to create chances for DP Striker
4.During same week sell Legit DP Striker
next month
5,Hype up a potential Legit DP striker to finish chances

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Classic Whitecaps.

1.Bring in Legit DP Striker.
2.Hype up a potential DP #10 to service their DP striker for a year.
3.Sign DP #10 to create chances for DP Striker
4.During same week sell Legit DP Striker
next month
5,Hype up a potential Legit DP striker to finish chances
Owners are only in it to squeeze every last dollar they can out of the franchise.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
None of 1-3 or 5 are actually very classic for the Whitecaps. :laugh:

1. Go to the bargain bin
2. Be called out by the commissioner and be forced to sign a DP
3. DP fails due to being surrounded by the likes of Russell Teibert
4. DP is either sold or let go
5. Go back to the bargain bin

Rinse and repeat.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
What in the **** are they doing?

I assume they think they can get a profit on him or something, but man. Throwing that kind of money to a left back (4x the amount roughly they got Adnan for) seems pretty ridiculous.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
What in the **** are they doing?

I assume they think they can get a profit on him or something, but man. Throwing that kind of money to a left back (4x the amount roughly they got Adnan for) seems pretty ridiculous.

Glasscity then said there's no truth in this rumour now.

Getting some help up top is good in Gauld and Vite, but I'd like to see another quality CB join the team (or have Ranko and Godoy get a long stretch of games in defense).

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
The Whitecaps have a new DP:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/ml...ish-attacking-midfielder-ryan-gauld-1.6125491

Finally, a replacement for Alan Ball.

Maybe I should write something about this.

Gauld played very well in the last 2 seasons in Farense, a team in South of Portugal. The fact that he was the best player on a team who was relegated made the headlines, because Braga (the chronic 4th best club) and Guimarães were interested in him. Some newspapers said he could return to Sporting but our head coach wanted someone more intense on the midfield. You can say Whitecaps beat two teams (Braga and Guimarães, both usually fighting for places in the Europa League) if the realistic rumors were true.

Whitecaps will get a good playmaker, with excellent vision, good technique and someone who can take every set piece. He won't be a good defender or make good pressure up front (but he is miles better than he was) and personally, I don't think he will deserve the salary he's taking (rumored to be something around € 100k/month) but it will make Whitecaps midfield a lot better, at least with a lot more creativity and flair.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Maybe I should write something about this.

Gauld played very well in the last 2 seasons in Farense, a team in South of Portugal. The fact that he was the best player on a team who was relegated made the headlines, because Braga (the chronic 4th best club) and Guimarães were interested in him. Some newspapers said he could return to Sporting but our head coach wanted someone more intense on the midfield. You can say Whitecaps beat two teams (Braga and Guimarães, both usually fighting for places in the Europa League) if the realistic rumors were true.

Whitecaps will get a good playmaker, with excellent vision, good technique and someone who can take every set piece. He won't be a good defender or make good pressure up front (but he is miles better than he was) and personally, I don't think he will deserve the salary he's taking (rumored to be something around € 100k/month) but it will make Whitecaps midfield a lot better, at least with a lot more creativity and flair.

Great, informative post.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Are they that unhappy with Gutierrez that they would chase a foreign LB? They already have Gaspar and he appears to be 3rd choice at RB.. Ridiculous waste of resources. Hope Gauld is the real deal.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Are they that unhappy with Gutierrez that they would chase a foreign LB? They already have Gaspar and he appears to be 3rd choice at RB.. Ridiculous waste of resources. Hope Gauld is the real deal.
Gauld is a CAM…? Gutierrez has been one of the best pleasant surprises of the season and has been the starting LB all year.

Gaspar would likely have been starting at RB if he were healthy, but Javain Brown has also been one of the nice stories this year.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Gauld is a CAM…? Gutierrez has been one of the best pleasant surprises of the season and has been the starting LB all year.

Gaspar would likely have been starting at RB if he were healthy, but Javain Brown has also been one of the nice stories this year.
I wasn't taking issue with Gauld... it was the rumored 8 million they are splashing out on Ramon...

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Gauld is worth it, it's a very shrewd signing and the exact type of player MLS teams should be targeting. Not good enough for a bigger team in Europe, and at an age where he won't improve substantially so realizes he could cash a bigger paycheque in the MLS. Very similar to Columbus signing Pedro Santos from Braga a number of years ago, not good enough to continue playing as a starter for them and at an age where he wouldnt grow, yet a star in the MLS during his prime years. Gauld will be the same.

Issue is, now can we actually sign a quality CB and a box to box midfielder?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad