OT: Vancouver Whitecaps (and general soccer) 2021

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
It wouldn’t matter if Ronaldo or Messi came in, the rest of the team is crap, the coach is terrible and the owners only care about money.

This organization has completely squandered on the opportunity of having the Lions being close to irrelevant, the Canucks run incompetently and the Canadians only playing 3 months a year.

I’ve been a STH since the start but I don’t even go to games anymore (when I could atleast).

And they may never get that opportunity back. That's what's so sad. They could have been a premier sports club in Vancouver, but instead they're drifting towards becoming just another incarnation of the Vancouver Nighthawks.

Part of the problem, IMO, is that MLS has tried to graft North American sports culture onto a long-established international football scheduling system, resulting in some sort of Frankenstein-ish and ultimately incoherent pattern of games.

Like, the Whitecaps started the season with a handful of games, then didn't play again for 27 days! What the hell?

As far as I can tell, all the Caps are currently doing is burning through the money they got for Davies for no discernible benefit. It's depressing to imagine what will happen when it's all gone.

Clock is definitely ticking for MDS.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I know this would never happen at bc place, but natural grass just gives a club some immediate legitimacy.

Players hate the turf, and I dont blame them.

The lack of buzz is also non existent compared to 2011 when they entered mls. I got serious concerns that we are going to get squeezed out of the mls eventually, which is depressing thought.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Real grass is a plus and would aid in player recruitment.

We have zero scouting. Look at Columbus getting someone like Pedro Santos from Braga a few years back, he was in his prime for a top 4 team in Portugal but was never going to be a top player or leave to a bigger club, so they offered him a DP slot and he came in and immediately makes them a top team as they made him a key player.

We need clever recruitment like that, not plugs from the Spanish third division or outcasts from Bulgeria etc.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
What the Caps need most for both branding and success is a big name player. They need allure. They need a guy they can build the club around, and who can leave a lasting legacy on it, and the players around him.

Look at how Mats Sundin had such a major impact on some of the key core of the Canucks, just being there a season.

Bringing in a guy like that, who lends credibility to the seriousness of the club, would be huge.

You can't be a club that's known for losing to CPL/NASL teams and playing a boring style to boot. You just can't.

If they want to revive this organisation, they should do everything they can to bring in a name everyone knows. Not some 'hidden gem' that only hardcore international soccer followers know.

Even if this player is only at the club for 2 or 3 seasons, that's enough to stoke some interest again and give the club legitimacy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I know this would never happen at bc place, but natural grass just gives a club some immediate legitimacy.

The lack of buzz is also non existent compared to 2011 when they entered mls. I got serious concerns that we are going to get squeezed out of the mls eventually, which is depressing thought.
We almost had that dual purpose (soccer and CFL) grass field stadium on the waterfront. Powers that be said no. So we are stuck with the 500 million dollar doughnut hole and nasty turf.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
We almost had that dual purpose (soccer and CFL) grass field stadium on the waterfront. Powers that be said no. So we are stuck with the 500 million dollar doughnut hole and nasty turf.
Games are so f***in boring here too. The environment at Empire was fun

Reactions: Fatass

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Something has to give. Either the owners sell the franchise and some rich investor with ambition takes over or the franchise gets sold and relocated and the CPL comes into the city.

They are losing again.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Games are so f***in boring here too. The environment at Empire was fun

I only went once to empire. It was the first game the whitecaps ever played in mls.

The atmosphere was night and day compared to BC place.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Vancouver in cling on mode for the second half.. Creps made many saves but couldn't keep out a bullet header from some combo of Rose and Veselinovic.

Draw

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think it's gotten to the point where the whitecaps would have to pay me to watch a game because I never do it for free lol

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I completely forget about the Whitecaps since the Euros started and the NHL playoffs. How has Caio Alexandre been?
He's been good. Not a world beater by any means, but who would be in MDS' system? He has more creativity in his left pinky than our entire midfield combined, save for Baldisimo, so that's something.

If he were able to link up with a, say, Ryan Gauld, things would be looking a lot better for him fit wise.

Reactions: Bubbles

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Just watched the replay. Rose crashing into Veselinović was hilarious, MDS put in Nerwinski and Veselinović to "defend" the one goal lead which backfired on his ass as the team cannot defend to save themselves and needed to continue pressing.

Teibert is where balls go to die or get turned over. What should be routine interceptions and possession going the other way turn into wayward passes that get put out of play.

I think fan apathy is at its lowest. R/Whitecaps and twitter are barely active these days.

It's starting to feel like when we lost the Grizzlies.
Step 1. Suck forever
Step 2. Create apathy
Step 3. Fans stop showing up
Step 4. Sell the team and blame the fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad