OT: Vancouver Whitecaps (and general soccer) 2021

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
That's a lot of very beautiful passing. There are also some lovely runs there. The few times I've seen the Whitecaps over the past couple of years, they were unbelievably static in attack. The best passer in the world wouldn't have been able to deliver the ball that way, because there wasn't anybody moving to create passing options. I was flabbergasted.
A dynamic #10 is a must in the MLS. Theres a reason the only seasons we looked like a proper football club we had Morales pulling the strings.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A dynamic #10 is a must in the MLS. Theres a reason the only seasons we looked like a proper football club we had Morales pulling the strings.
We need a proper grass field, so these really skilled guys can properly control the ball, whether on foot or by pass. That and get another Allan Ball level player.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Wow they might have finally gotten a big guy.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Watching this game...and same issues persist.

Long balls galore. Midfielders lack any real quality and seem unable to maintain ball possession. Baldisimo sucks.

Cavallini draws a PK by himself! Team needs to signs a decent midfielder asap. Feel like he's being wasted..

Peen

Oct 6, 2013

Long balls galore. Midfielders lack any real quality and seem unable to maintain ball possession. Baldisimo sucks.

Cavallini draws a PK by himself! Team needs to signs a decent midfielder asap. Feel like he's being wasted..
Crazy how much better the quality of MLS has grown in the past decade tho

Dajome’s first touch is like Tanner Glass receiving a pass

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Crazy how much better the quality of MLS has grown in the past decade tho

Dajome’s first touch is like Tanner Glass receiving a pass

Oh for sure. The league has vastly improved. Great to see....

I remember watching the likes of Jarju, Dunfield and Brovsky on the pitch a decade ago...Players of these calibre would be in tough to crack the CPL nowadays.

TFC really missing Giovinco. Roster is trash.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
LOL goes up 2-1. Has insane momentum and Dos Santos flips the switch and tries to park the bus. VWFC doesn't have the horses to play defensive football. Now they look content with a tie.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
LOL goes up 2-1. Has insane momentum and Dos Santos flips the switch and tries to park the bus. VWFC doesn't have the horses to play defensive football. Now they look content with a tie.
Have been terrible since going to a five atb. Leaking everywhere

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Probably a deserved result, but the Caps will feel they should have bagged all three points.

Two Whitecaps bloodied and no cards shown. :laugh:

Reactions: Red

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Probably a deserved result, but the Caps will feel they should have bagged all three points.

Two Whitecaps bloodied and no cards shown. :laugh:

The MLS is still bush league when it comes to discipline. Has been for the past decade.

VWFC completely unable to defend. MDS needs to realize this and develop an attacking strategy. Watching them trying to defend the past 2 games, in that gnarly 5-4-1 formation has been sad to see.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Okay effort, but a couple of mistakes on the backend cost us the win. There were a few times we had good possession, but like SeawaterOnIce said too many long balls and midfielders weren't getting the ball to the forwards enough. Did not look good the last half of the 2nd.

Simply bad coverage on the first goal. 3 players all ball in the box all watching the ball off the header allowing Singh an easy volley. Also Veselinovic was way too late on picking up Singh there after he fell down. Nobody should EVER have that much space in the 6 yard box.

Very bad foul by Laryea on Cavallini before the penalty. He had the angle for a shoulder on shoulder check but didn't then tripped him in the box. Dajome made no mistake on the penalty.

2nd straight game where Gutierrez got an assist on a set play. Header off a free kick this time. Finding Rose in the box. Gutierrez looked good this game. Had some very good runs.

Just a bad clear by rose on the tieing goal. Hit his own man in the face then the TFC striker gets the ball and scores. Looked like Rose had a bit of time to settle it, and either pass it or clear it.

Good to see Caio Alexandre and Gaspar get in the game.

Whitecaps honoured Danielle Hoult before the game who lost her 8 1/2 year battle with cancer.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

This. So much this.

Goes up 2-1 and immediately after you hear Alexandre is being readied to come on for Caicedo. Whitecaps showed that they can create chances when they're attacking, no clue why you would depend on a defense that was missing a third of what would be its usual starters (Godoy, Gaspar and Adnan).

After the subs, I had no idea what formation MDS was playing and it looked like the Caps didn't know either.

When healthy, and barring any new signings, I'd like to see a lineup of:

Creapeau

Gaspar - Godoy - Cornelius - Gutierrez

Caicedo - Alexandre - Bikel - Adnan

Dajome - Cavallini

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I absolutely hate 5-4-1 to preserve a lead. This is coming from a fullback too. It makes it harder to get the ball up the field and keep possession there. Also makes it harder to keep the ball in the opposing corner at the end of the game. As long as there is good communication between the defenders and midfielders there is no need for a 5th back. One year I played for a team that played 3-5-2 and there was no problem holding on to leads.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

This team needs Pyerre so bad. Like, it goes from a bubble calibre squad to a likely playoff squad with his addition. Potentially even division threatening. I think the supplement talent is there in other parts of the pitch.

The good thing is, he wants to come to Vancouver, so we'll see if they are willing to pay a bit more to convince Gremio to let him go.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I thought the first half was lacklustre (particularly against something of a B-squad from Toronto), but it they didn't look outclassed like years past – they actually were able to generate a little and largely match Toronto until they finally went up. To the point where it's disappointing that a keystone kops moment undoes two out of three points so close to the end...

All the same, still encouraging. The Caps are playing undermanned now too and there seems to be some chemistry between Caicedo-Dajome-Cavallini. Gutierrez has been excellent. And I thought Baldisimo looked rather good, seems like an odd one to pick on... :shrug:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad