OT: Vancouver Whitecaps (and general soccer) 2021

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Major League Soccer announced on Monday that the 2021 MLS season will begin on Saturday, April 3, with teams permitted to begin preseason training on Feb. 22, six weeks prior to MLS is Back opening weekend.
Key Dates

• Feb. 22: MLS Preseason training begins (6 weeks)
  • Apr. 3-4: MLS is Back - Opening Weekend 2021
  • Late Aug.: MLS Heineken® Rivalry Week
  • Late summer: MLS All-Star Game presented by Target, Leagues Cup, Campeones Cup
  • Nov. 7: MLS Decision Day
  • Nov. 19: Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs begin
  • Dec. 11: 2021 MLS Cup

Canadian Clubs

Due to travel restrictions between the US and Canada, Major League Soccer continues to work with the league’s three Canadian clubs regarding plans for the 2021 regular season. More details on plans for the Canadian teams will be announced in the near future.

Some positive news for the Whitecaps, for a change:

Reactions: lindgren

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I really want to like the Whitecaps. It's been a really hard few years being a fan.

The new signing looks promising. We've got quite the Colombian attacking talent now.

Reactions: lindgren

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
It's been so may years since the Caps were considered a competent team, and even at one point elite (for MLS) in 2015, it's refreshing to get excited about this team again again.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Is the team actually good this season like guaranteed playoff level good or no

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Is the team actually good this season like guaranteed playoff level good or no
Definitely not. But these signings (maybe) show a better level of ambition than they've had in recent years. (And note the issue hasn't really been "cheapness" – there were plenty of instances where they spent a lot and they used to be in the upper-half of the league for spending. The issue has been more how much they're willing to do with the money they spend and how much they're willing to move away from their familiar faces and comfort zone).

The Canadian teams are going to be at a pretty big disadvantage this year by not playing at home, but the Whitecaps in particular have a lot of players tied to the Canadian national team and they're going to get a bit screwed by absences. They are likely to do a little worse than the team is on paper and they actually do deserve a little more benefit of the doubt than usual. But this just means they're closer to middle of the pack (as opposed to "good") than their record is likely to show.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
The Caps still need a #10. I'd like to see how Alexandre creates in the midfield before confirming that with total certainty, but it is still a glaring issue.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This was a huge win..5 Canadian starters, many young players against a very very experienced and tough Portland team. Dream start... This roster still needs work.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Forget the win, it was just nice to watch a Whitecaps game where they weren't under siege nonstop.

I've been bingeing on European football during the pandemic though, hard to go back to MLS after that.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This was a huge win..5 Canadian starters, many young players against a very very experienced and tough Portland team. Dream start... This roster still needs work.
This result was just as unlikely as the Canucks' one, frankly. Portland is in far better form, with a better roster, more time to practice together, and coming off of a CONCACAF Champions' League stomping of a Honduran opponent. The Whitecaps actually have some very legitimate excuses for a slow start this year, with several of their players not even through quarantine yet.

This is a huge lift, because they honestly could have a really rough start here which will overshadow the rest of the season.

The Caps still need a #10. I'd like to see how Alexandre creates in the midfield before confirming that with total certainty, but it is still a glaring issue.
They're theoretically on it, after a few preferred options fell through in the offseason. For now they're playing 4-4-2 to avoid the issue, but Dos Santos is asked about it constantly.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Just watched the extended highlights.

The Whitecaps looked competent. However, I do not understand their defending on set pieces. Far too deep and in a weird zonal system that has players hopping and looking around. I hope they switch to a higher line and man-marking.

Hopefully, this is a good year.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Don’t jinx it... “in negotiations” doesn’t mean much and they’ve already had several targets slip away. GlassCity is reporting that they’re pitching a deal that underpays now, but would give Gremio a 50% cut of a future transfer fee. Which makes it a little closer to a brokerage or rental agreement (and Gremio apparently needs the cash), but if it works...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Don’t jinx it... “in negotiations” doesn’t mean much and they’ve already had several targets slip away. GlassCity is reporting that they’re pitching a deal that underpays now, but would give Gremio a 50% cut of a future transfer fee. Which makes it a little closer to a brokerage or rental agreement (and Gremio apparently needs the cash), but if it works...
Suspect they'll just unload the player shortly at a later date & pocket the cash (like the Caps owner usually does). It's what they've done before. Dollars slip thru their fingers like flypaper. Combined, the financial power of the Whitecaps owners are probably on the level of the Aquilini's.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Suspect they'll just unload the player shortly at a later date & pocket the cash (like the Caps owner usually does). It's what they've done before. Dollars slip thru their fingers like flypaper. Combined, the financial power of the Whitecaps owners are probably on the level of the Aquilini's.
This is the frustrating thing. The whitecaps have one of the richest ownership groups in the entire MLS, and maybe world soccer.

Reactions: Hit the post

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Jean Pyerre is legit good and a definite top 5 European league prospect. I might actually become interested in he signs.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

THE #10 IS FINALLY COMING.

Hopefully..

Please don't screw this up. This player is legit.

That's a lot of very beautiful passing. There are also some lovely runs there. The few times I've seen the Whitecaps over the past couple of years, they were unbelievably static in attack. The best passer in the world wouldn't have been able to deliver the ball that way, because there wasn't anybody moving to create passing options. I was flabbergasted.

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad