Vancouver tried to trade up for Hedman in 2009?

bhar

Apr 14, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I came across this video and I don't know if this has been discussed before:

In the video, around the one minute mark, Brian Burke (GM of the Leafs at the time) says that Garth Snow will not be moving 1st overall (Tavares) and that Vancouver has made a pitch at the #2 pick and that the rumored deal was: Burrows, Bieksa and our own 1st... 22nd overall (ended up being Jordan Schroeder).

I think it's fair to assume that they were targeting Hedman as a replacement for Ohlund at the time.

Obviously we don't know how close the deal may have been to taking place, but it's interesting to think about how different things may have been.

Would we have gone on that amazing run in 2011 without Burrows and Bieksa?

On the flip side, we would have finally had a franchise defensemen to build around while the Sedins were still in their prime years.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yep. I remember this. I don't remember it being close at all.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it is hard to believe gillis wanted to do that. he would have gutted a good team.

it is consistent with endless similar canuck rumours of swinging for the fences though.

member 290103

Bieksa and Burrows were good players for us, but with hindsight it’s insane that someone would be against this.

Well, true, but if this trade goes down, 2011 might not happen. The Burrows goal in round 1 is either the best, or a close second to the greatest goal in Canuck history. I think I turn that trade down just to have had the 2011 experience.....

Reactions: Canadian Canuck
May 31, 2006
Well, true, but if this trade goes down, 2011 might not happen. The Burrows goal in round 1 is either the best, or a close second to the greatest goal in Canuck history. I think I turn that trade down just to have had the 2011 experience.....
The 2011 experience where we LOST?! Yeah, I’d trade that for anything! :laugh:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You're an idiot to refuse that offer.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.
And TB said no. As they should. Look at how KB and burr declined since 2009. We moved KB in 2015. Burr crashed out and was a buyout candidate in 2016.

You don’t trade #2 pick with Hedman on the board for 5 good years of burr and KB. Unless they drafted ROR with that pick it wouldn’t be a good deal for them.

They just drafted stamkos the prior year. Wise move t pair him with a stud D than take a short cut.

This isn’t the 2002 draft where Tb got fedortenko and a couple of picks for the 4th pick who turned into pitkanen. Hedman as lot higher rated.

May 31, 2006
Wasn’t that when TB was a circus with Len Barrie, Oren Koules, and Brian Lawton running the franchise to the ground?

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
And TB said no. As they should. Look at how KB and burr declined since 2009. We moved KB in 2015. Burr crashed out and was a buyout candidate in 2016.

You don’t trade #2 pick with Hedman on the board for 5 good years of burr and KB. Unless they drafted ROR with that pick it wouldn’t be a good deal for them.

They just drafted stamkos the prior year. Wise move t pair him with a stud D than take a short cut.

This isn’t the 2002 draft where Tb got fedortenko and a couple of picks for the 4th pick who turned into pitkanen. Hedman as lot higher rated.

The statement I reffered to wasn't about whether TB wanted to accept the offer, it was about how whether we should do the deal.

Obviously they wouldn't make the trade, that point is moot.

It's pretty simple.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
We could have been be better with Hedman than Bieska and Burrows. 2011 might happen with better D than Bieska. Burrows was a wild card player, we did not know what type of player he would be and we knew that he was a great defensive forward and PKer. We would be able to withstand our loss years after 2011 with better D in Hedman and be a contender until 2015 rather than cut short in 2014. Bieska was a liability at times with a blown coverage but he was solid for us. Hedman would be even better, be able to play on PP and still have a potent PP than Edler. The Sedin needed a good PP quarterback and in their decline years from 2014 until Sedin retirement, Edler were a main quarterback for us and wasn't a good one. Had Hedman were in the roster, the Sedin would be able to maintain their production on the PP.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I had to scroll up to make sure I saw "Hedman" right when two people were glad we didn't make the deal, including the claim that trading Bieksa, Burrows and Schroeder for him would have gutted the team.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
if i were you id take anything that might have happened or almost happened with a horrendously ginormous grain of salt.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
It's funnier if you listen further on, they talk about the Leafs chances of moving up to #2 but the Lightning wanted Luke Schenn in the deal with #7 which they declined. Ended up taking Kadri. I'm sure they would have taken Hedman for Kadri and Schenn (the "future captain of the Leafs").

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad