Eklund Rumor: Vancouver talking to MTL,BUF,NYR

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Hutton is a guy the Habs could use since we're lacking in PMD's but I'm not sure if he's the solution for our top 4 LD problem. He would probably be an upgrade over anyone we have there right now but I don't see him as a miracle maker or anything so it might not be a good idea to spend our assets to get him. Galchenyuk for Hutton is not fair, that's for sure.

I agree - Hutton would be an upgrade but more of an incremental improvement. I think the Canucks would be fools to take personnel back in return. It has to be picks.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I agree - Hutton would be an upgrade but more of an incremental improvement. I think the Canucks would be fools to take personnel back in return. It has to be picks.

So does a 2nd round pick and a prospect sound good? I could do something along those lines. What would the Canucks want the prospect to be?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So does a 2nd round pick and a prospect sound good? I could do something along those lines. What would the Canucks want the prospect to be?

A second and a prospect for Hutton? That seems low. Even with our logjam, Hutton is still playing as a top 4 D and is continuing to improve as the season goes on. I am not a proponent of trading Hutton, but it would have to be a heck of a prospect included to get Hutton for a second.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
No, the Canucks shouldn't trade Hutton for picks. He's been the teams 3rd best defender behind Tanev and Edler. Arguably 2nd best because Edler has been slow getting back to form since his injury. Hutton is a young top 4 PMD that has a lot of room for improvement, there's no point in trading him right now.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
A second and a prospect for Hutton? That seems low. Even with our logjam, Hutton is still playing as a top 4 D and is continuing to improve as the season goes on. I am not a proponent of trading Hutton, but it would have to be a heck of a prospect included to get Hutton for a second.

I have no idea of Hutton's value on the market. I don't think he would get us a 1st - I was thinking Tyler Benson and a 2nd. Not enough?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I have no idea of Hutton's value on the market. I don't think he would get us a 1st - I was thinking Tyler Benson and a 2nd. Not enough?

I love Benson, but to be honest I feel we'd be better off keeping Hutton if that was the most we could get for him.

We should be looking to consolidate, not sell off for multiple pieces, as we have depth at nearly every possible position, but lack some of the higher end talent from our roster and our prospect pool.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
I bet Hutton is a part of a package with Virtanen.

Funny, I was reading through the thread and wondered the same thing. Galchenyuk I think becomes discussable.

I don't know much about Virtanen, objectively, though I have a sense of his draft day reputation. I also have a sense of post-draft bust declarations on these boards. Combining the two, my understanding is that he is a strong winger who skates in straight lines and shoots hard, but he might have attitude problems and limited hockey sense.

I'm not particularly optimistic about Galchenyuk these days, and I don't think he's a very desirable trade commodity at the moment. He has undeniable upside, and a pretty good record for someone under 24, but his new contract balances some of that with the practical reality that he's not a prospect or low-risk reclamation project. He's a $4.9M forward for the next three years, which implies confident expectations of top 6 production.

Not sure I would trade Galchenyuk for that package, but I don't know enough about the players to really say (can't stay up late enough to watch many Vancouver games). I think Galchenyuk will get traded this season, at a discount while he's still slumping, and I just hope that Montreal gets some good potential back to offset the likelihood that he will flourish once he leaves.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Well I mean there are different level prospects. If you want futures for Hutton then it has to be a 2nd+ because we aren't giving up a 1st for him. I think you might be interested in Juulsen, and he's one of our top prospects, but I'd be very hesitant to do Hutton for Juulsen + 2nd because like I said, spending assets on a marginal upgrade wouldn't be a good idea.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well I mean there are different level prospects. If you want futures for Hutton then it has to be a 2nd+ because we aren't giving up a 1st for him. I think you might be interested in Juulsen, and he's one of our top prospects, but I'd be very hesitant to do Hutton for Juulsen + 2nd because like I said, spending assets on a marginal upgrade wouldn't be a good idea.

I wouldn't be asking for a first from Montreal unless they were very, very firmly in playoff position when the trade was being negotiated. Juulsen is close to being ready for the show, is he not? Because my worry is that we'd be moving Hutton simply to delay the LD logjam for a year, or worse yet a couple months. We have Edler (NTC), Del Zotto and now Pouliot on the left, and the only reason it isn't a pressing concern yet is because Tanev and Stetcher are out at the moment.

We would, in an ideal world, be looking to consolidate a few players into one improvement in a single position. We have a stupid level of depth at the bottom pairing or bottom line level. I think we have, including injuries to our main roster, 3 guys in the AHL we're hoping to see in action in the NHL this year at forward positions and even with injuries Wiercoch as a Comet as our 9th D.

So as much as Juulsen would be a fine addition, if he's ready too soon, we're giving up Hutton for a short time of peace and quiet.

So Hutton+something for....something better?

Wtf if they offer Gally for Hutton you take it and run as a Canucks fan

I agree. I don't think Galchenyuk is a lost cause or a bust or what ever over used term you want to use for a stall in his development, but he does have his warts. But so do a lot of high talent players, the most common being that they aren't available. I think a change of environment could do wonders for him.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I wouldn't be asking for a first from Montreal unless they were very, very firmly in playoff position when the trade was being negotiated. Juulsen is close to being ready for the show, is he not? Because my worry is that we'd be moving Hutton simply to delay the LD logjam for a year, or worse yet a couple months. We have Edler (NTC), Del Zotto and now Pouliot on the left, and the only reason it isn't a pressing concern yet is because Tanev and Stetcher are out at the moment.

We would, in an ideal world, be looking to consolidate a few players into one improvement in a single position. We have a stupid level of depth at the bottom pairing or bottom line level. I think we have, including injuries to our main roster, 3 guys in the AHL we're hoping to see in action in the NHL this year at forward positions and even with injuries Wiercoch as a Comet as our 9th D.

So as much as Juulsen would be a fine addition, if he's ready too soon, we're giving up Hutton for a short time of peace and quiet.

So Hutton+something for....something better?

Juulsen indeed should be ready for the big show sooner than later but he's a RHD so he has nothing to do with your LD logjam.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Juulsen indeed should be ready for the big show sooner than later but he's a RHD so he has nothing to do with your LD logjam.

Ah we may well be creating one then. Gudbranson is our worst RHD, but we have Tanev and Stetcher as our top 2 RHD, and Biega as our 7th/8th guy. I thought he was LHD, but a nearly ready D doesn't help as much as prolong growing pains. A long term D or one that could push Stetcher or Tanev (R) or Edler or Del Zotto (L) when they are ready are the D we could take on.

Are there any forward prospects that are of comparable quality in the Montreal system?

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Ah we may well be creating one then. Gudbranson is our worst RHD, but we have Tanev and Stetcher as our top 2 RHD, and Biega as our 7th/8th guy. I thought he was LHD, but a nearly ready D doesn't help as much as prolong growing pains. A long term D or one that could push Stetcher or Tanev (R) or Edler or Del Zotto (L) when they are ready are the D we could take on.

Are there any forward prospects that are of comparable quality in the Montreal system?

Scherbak is probably available, he's NHL ready but injured at the moment. 2014 1st round pick, RHS winger with excellent playmaking abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad