Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
patcast ugh...botchford screaming about how surprised he was at the reception jay beagle got in washington. seriously? undrafted, only team he ever played for, cool name, friendly guy and stanley cup freaken winner. they compared him to jannik hansen. i x'd out of the pod at that moment cuz aint nobody got time for bad takes.

more like alex burrows but with a stanley cup ring

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
patcast ugh...botchford screaming about how surprised he was at the reception jay beagle got in washington. seriously? undrafted, only team he ever played for, cool name, friendly guy and stanley cup freaken winner. they compared him to jannik hansen. i x'd out of the pod at that moment cuz aint nobody got time for bad takes.

more like alex burrows but with a stanley cup ring

Beagle isnt even half a Burrows.

member 290103

numbers wise...i'm with you. but in terms of what he meant to a city apparently they're close.

Seems like he is to Caps fans. That reception was crazy...never saw it coming. Kind of bumped my respect up for the player a bit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought it was just a perfect storm of a situation - a guy who came up through the system who played a long time there and then left after they just went on a memorable cup run where they won a Stanley Cup. Whatever. Good for him.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Botchford doesn't understand hockey. Often sounds like an American media person being asked to provide some hot take on something they have zero comprehension of. It's actually astounding how little he gets the game. It's really tragic this relentless-sound-emitter has such a following in this market, but he's a social media maven.

Sometimes I wonder if he actually watches the game, or just relies on people sending him tweets of it, while he secretly sits in the media washroom's toilet hoping to overhear some insider info.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Botchford doesn't understand hockey. Often sounds like an American media person being asked to provide some hot take on something they have zero comprehension of. It's actually astounding how little he gets the game. It's really tragic this relentless-sound-emitter has such a following in this market, but he's a social media maven.

Sometimes I wonder if he actually watches the game, or just relies on people sending him tweets of it, while he secretly sits in the media washroom's toilet hoping to overhear some insider info.

That is your opinion and you have your right to it. Not a very informed opinion but still an opinion.

member 290103

He understands it fine. He can be a bit hysterical but he’s got as good a grasp on what this team really is more than any media member in the market.

I wondered when people would start to turn on him.

I am no big fan of a lot of his schtick, but I agree with most of his takes.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He understands it fine. He can be a bit hysterical but he’s got as good a grasp on what this team really is more than any media member in the market.

I wondered when people would start to turn on him.

I am no big fan of a lot of his schtick, but I agree with most of his takes.

It's hard to discern an argument a lot of times when all you get for arguments are sarcastic diatribes.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I actually like his latest take in The Athleties about how the Canucks are riculously loyal to veterans that haven’t won anything in a long time. He pointed out, quite rightly, that since Edler and Tanev have been our top 2 defenceman, ONLY Arizona has less wins and points in the entire NHL.

With such undeniablely poor results why is this management so afraid to shake up this defence in a major way. Like the results could have been any worse?? It is way too progressive for the Canucks to move players like Tanev, Sutter, Edler when there would have brought back good picks and prospects for a proper rebuild. Instead there is this over the top loyalty for veterans that don’t win and this big fear to go forward without them when the reality is the team have been really bad WITH them.

If you watch the Canucks, it is the youth driving any success. The collection of veterans on this team with the exception of Roussel maybe does very, very little to win games. Tanev and Edler are merely ok for a first pairing and should in no way be so untouchable given where this team has been at and still is at.

Botchford nailed that. And he isn’t afraid to take on management unlike some of the schills like McIntyre. He is also questioning how this management is attempting to develop prospects in Utica. Good organizations like Tampa give the prospects icetime and responsibility.they don’t sit prospects for stiffs like Carter Bancks.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I actually like his latest take in The Athleties about how the Canucks are riculously loyal to veterans that haven’t won anything in a long time. He pointed out, quite rightly, that since Edler and Tanev have been our top 2 defenceman, ONLY Arizona has less wins and points in the entire NHL.

With such undeniablely poor results why is this management so afraid to shake up this defence in a major way. Like the results could have been any worse?? It is way too progressive for the Canucks to move players like Tanev, Sutter, Edler when there would have brought back good picks and prospects for a proper rebuild. Instead there is this over the top loyalty for veterans that don’t win and this big fear to go forward without them when the reality is the team have been really bad WITH them.

If you watch the Canucks, it is the youth driving any success. The collection of veterans on this team with the exception of Roussel maybe does very, very little to win games. Tanev and Edler are merely ok for a first pairing and should in no way be so untouchable given where this team has been at and still is at.

Botchford nailed that. And he isn’t afraid to take on management unlike some of the schills like McIntyre. He is also questioning how this management is attempting to develop prospects in Utica. Good organizations like Tampa give the prospects icetime and responsibility.they don’t sit prospects for stiffs like Carter Bancks.

I was actually thinking about this morning. We really need at some point to move on from players before they become useless. It would of been very nice if we had traded Sutter last year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've always generally liked Botchford's opinions on the team.

I guess that's kind of my point, I listen to the podcast to hear your opinion of the Canucks.. not to hear which media members are fighting with each other or who got more likes on Twitter. Every once in awhile media needs to remind themselves that they aren't the story, the team they're following is.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was actually thinking about this morning. We really need at some point to move on from players before they become useless. It would of been very nice if we had traded Sutter last year.
Probably concerned about finding replacements. It should be better this off season because they not a horrible team. Can see some light at the end of the tunnel now not like it was 2 -3 years ago.

Everything revovles around the current situation. Even with Gilman the contract guy, the Leafs are paying a hefty premium for Mathews for his 1 extra UFA year. No discount from nylander either. Gilman worked his magic here in part because of the ntc he could include in a deal. But the Leafs guys are too young to receive an active ntc immediately.

Every scenario has their own unique leverage points.

I agree that for the longest time the Canucks have been too “nice” of an organization. Afraid to make the tough hard decisions. Are not willing to say goodbye. Keep hanging on.

Yet one of the best moves ever involved moving out fan favorite Linden to land McCabe and Bert to help get the second twin and create the WCE. That was done Keenan who this city hates. But it was a necessary trade at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad