Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

I didn't really listen to Russell back in the day. Occasionally from time to time.

Never heard about the Ward thing, which is odd given that the odd time I heard the show Ward was on his side about most things. Figured professionally courtesy between hosts would be not to embarrass a colleague.

Not sure what that incident relates to either. I tuned out of Dan Russell around 2000- 2002, somewhere in there. He lost his mind when they did not tap him for the play by play job and then there was some bitter fallout between him and Brian Burke. The day Brian Burke was turfed by the Canucks, Russell's went on the radio and basically seemed to intimate that Burke had got him fired from 'NW (or at least he suspected he had), but that they had buried the hatchet since then.

Russell is a petty, petty man, than could never let go of the past and used his position to exact revenge on the Canucks for what he perceived were personal slights.

It's a very sad, really. His show in the 80's and 90's was some of the best Sportstalk radio around. I would venture to say that it outshined anything we have seen since. Shows like Halford and Brough or Sekeres and Price are good, but there was really nothing like that late night radio show he put on .

I still, stupidly, hold out some hope he will one day regain his senses and come back and put the old show back on the way it used to be, but based on his twitter account, that's not in the cards.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure what that incident relates to either. I tuned out of Dan Russell around 2000- 2002, somewhere in there. He lost his mind when they did not tap him for the play by play job and then there was some bitter fallout between him and Brian Burke. The day Brian Burke was turfed by the Canucks, Russell's went on the radio and basically seemed to intimate that Burke had got him fired from 'NW (or at least he suspected he had), but that they had buried the hatchet since then.

Russell is a petty, petty man, than could never let go of the past and used his position to exact revenge on the Canucks for what he perceived were personal slights.

It's a very sad, really. His show in the 80's and 90's was some of the best Sportstalk radio around. I would venture to say that it outshined anything we have seen since. Shows like Halford and Brough or Sekeres and Price are good, but there was really nothing like that late night radio show he put on .

I still, stupidly, hold out some hope he will one day regain his senses and come back and put the old show back on the way it used to be, but based on his twitter account, that's not in the cards.

It was non-sensical that he was so angry at losing the PBP opening to Jim Hughson. And he went on the attack right after that. Then, like 2 years later Hughson takes the HNIC job and the Canucks job is open again. He killed any chance he had at it the 2nd time.

In a industry that has so few opportunities, you never burn a bridge, which he did.

Reactions: daddyohsix

member 290103

It was non-sensical that he was so angry at losing the PBP opening to Jim Hughson. And he went on the attack right after that. Then, like 2 years later Hughson takes the HNIC job and the Canucks job is open again. He killed any chance he had at it the 2nd time.

In a industry that has so few opportunities, you never burn a bridge, which he did.

Yup, for sure. He had to realize his voice was really not his strong suit. That said, he very well may have been considered for the job if he did not act like a infant after he did not get it when Robson retired.

He also started to try to push junior hockey on everyone all the time. It's fine to have the occasional junior hockey segment on your show, but making it a focal point was foolish....just so many stupid things he did at the end of his reign.

Ah...it's hard not to get upset about all that. He had such a good thing going and he just went off the rails. I miss 10pm to 12pm Sportstalk with the Old Dan.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
thanks to botchford and his b*tchford about prickly pete, i've discovered a new podcast with the white towel. didn't know it existed since i don't visit the province or any other site that requires reading to get my sports haha. i enjoyed it, willes brings a unique perspective because of the era he grew up in. patcast is on the ropes!!

member 290103

thanks to botchford and his b*tchford about prickly pete, i've discovered a new podcast with the white towel. didn't know it existed since i don't visit the province or any other site that requires reading to get my sports haha. i enjoyed it, willes brings a unique perspective because of the era he grew up in. patcast is on the ropes!!

Can’t stand the Patcast. Botchford dropping F bombs and Patterson stroking his ego...no thanks.

Reactions: cabinessence

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Can’t stand the Patcast. Botchford dropping F bombs and Patterson stroking his ego...no thanks.

the patcast has the potential to be so much more. paterson is the only member of the media who follows the team everywhere but he doesn't sell that at all. if he wants his pod to grow, he's gotta stop relying on botchford and his hot takes cuz eventually botchford is probably gonna drop paterson when the athletic starts pods. jpat needs to get ahead of the curve and take advantage of the opportunity he's been given instead of relying on botchford, who only follows the team when he feels like going or can afford it since the province isn't covering his airfare anymore.

so paterson....you're following the team, but you reeeeeeeally gotta start FOLLOWING the team and get more behind the scenes stuff and get takes only you can give. Annnnnnnd go!

(yes i've put way too much thought into this :)

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
the patcast has the potential to be so much more. paterson is the only member of the media who follows the team everywhere but he doesn't sell that at all. if he wants his pod to grow, he's gotta stop relying on botchford and his hot takes cuz eventually botchford is probably gonna drop paterson when the athletic starts pods. jpat needs to get ahead of the curve and take advantage of the opportunity he's been given instead of relying on botchford, who only follows the team when he feels like going or can afford it since the province isn't covering his airfare anymore.

so paterson....you're following the team, but you reeeeeeeally gotta start FOLLOWING the team and get more behind the scenes stuff and get takes only you can give. Annnnnnnd go!

(yes i've put way too much thought into this :)

There just needs to be some actual content on the show. It's devolved into media guys talking about other media guys with a half-hour EP lovefest mixed in. I skipped a couple of the last ones but jumped back in this week as I needed something to get me through the gym and it was more of the same. I guess that's just what the show is now, but I don't really know what purpose it serves if that's all it is.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
There just needs to be some actual content on the show. It's devolved into media guys talking about other media guys with a half-hour EP lovefest mixed in. I skipped a couple of the last ones but jumped back in this week as I needed something to get me through the gym and it was more of the same. I guess that's just what the show is now, but I don't really know what purpose it serves if that's all it is.

agreed. there's no content, it's almost predictable what they're gonna talk about. gimme something other than what i can find on any other podcast, take advantage of the opportunity jpat has that nobody else has. 31 thoughts the podcast, now that's the gold standard in my opinion. even though it's not all about the canucks, it's got actual content.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i'm waiting for a journalist to do more. i'm waiting for the first beat reporter to adapt the casey neistat method, full-on daily or near daily produced videos with a go-pro that does more than just get boring quotes. get that go-pro everywhere. a beat reporter with his own youtube channel...i'd be all over content like that.

and you'd eliminate the cost of a cameraman haha

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
carolinacanuck you sound like every tech CEO from 5 years ago. Did you know they already made every beat writer and sports journalist "pivot to video" and it failed miserably? People (except you) want to read about sports, they don't want to watch videos of people talking about them.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
i'm waiting for a journalist to do more. i'm waiting for the first beat reporter to adapt the casey neistat method, full-on daily or near daily produced videos with a go-pro that does more than just get boring quotes. get that go-pro everywhere. a beat reporter with his own youtube channel...i'd be all over content like that.

and you'd eliminate the cost of a cameraman haha

I don't want boring quotes.. but I don't want any of this either.

Reactions: skeena1

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I don't want boring quotes.. but I don't want any of this either.

fair enough. i thought about starting a thread asking how people consume canucks coverage but maybe we can do it here? just curious if i'm missing good content.

i watch games if i can stay awake (east coast time here)
most of the time i watch the condensed game on youtube in the morning and watch the coach presser on youtube
i don't read game recaps anywhere or the athletties and i don't read feature articles
sometimes i'll listen to halford/brough live but most of the time it's on demand in small bites. all of the content i consume on the tsn and sportsnet sites are on demand.
i listen to the patcast, the white towel and 31 thoughts podcasts.

and this is just canucks coverage. there are just so many awesome podcasts out there about a range of topics and not enough time in the day.

how bout you?

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Anyone listen to Donny and Moj today (Tuesday). They kept going on and on about the Leafs and how they have their first round pick in play for another trade.... then finally they had a guest on who had to let them know that they already traded their first round pick. These guys have no idea what is going on.

Reactions: hellstick

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
fair enough. i thought about starting a thread asking how people consume canucks coverage but maybe we can do it here? just curious if i'm missing good content.

i watch games if i can stay awake (east coast time here)
most of the time i watch the condensed game on youtube in the morning and watch the coach presser on youtube
i don't read game recaps anywhere or the athletties and i don't read feature articles
sometimes i'll listen to halford/brough live but most of the time it's on demand in small bites. all of the content i consume on the tsn and sportsnet sites are on demand.
i listen to the patcast, the white towel and 31 thoughts podcasts.

and this is just canucks coverage. there are just so many awesome podcasts out there about a range of topics and not enough time in the day.

how bout you?

Watch games whenever I can.

I listen to Patcast off and on & then sometimes the Canucks Central podcast if I need something extra to listen to. During the day I'll usually catch bits & pieces of Halford/Brough, but that's it for radio.

I follow a couple Canucks related guys on Twitter (Paterson, CanucksArmy).

Read this forum for other opinions, game recaps, etc.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I will add this this week I have had to listen to a couple of games on 650 while I'm driving. Is it just well-established at this point that Corey Hirsch is terrible?

Batchelor is fine though.

member 290103

I will add this this week I have had to listen to a couple of games on 650 while I'm driving. Is it just well-established at this point that Corey Hirsch is terrible?

Batchelor is fine though.

Yup, he's horrible. I didn't think anyone could be worse than DT, but here we are.

Donnie and the Moj- the show is completely horrendous. The show is basically put on for the entertainment of the hosts and producer. They will sit and talk about non-sports related matter for large segments of the show, seemingly unaware that anyone is tuning in and listening to them. I get it that these shows need to mix it up a bit, but they go so far beyond that, it's not even funny. That show is on it's last legs, they already got bumped from primetime and they are now just barely better than the morning show.

Halford and Brough are far and away the best sports radio in town, followed by Sekeres and Price. If Sportsnet could ever get anything going that was remotely entertaining, I'd tune in. "Reach Deep" though and Sat and Auld are terrible radio. I will tune in sometimes at lunch and it's just Sat and Auld talking - and it's all completely boring statements/content. Sat's a likeable guy, but he can't drive a show.

Best sportsradio for anyone looking is Maddog at noon - with Chris Russo. Best host I have ever heard - extremely knowledgeable, humble and very likeable. Mixes his show up with guests and calls. The only problem is.....no hockey. If you like the NFL or MLB though, there is nothing better.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yup, he's horrible. I didn't think anyone could be worse than DT, but here we are.

Donnie and the Moj- the show is completely horrendous. The show is basically put on for the entertainment of the hosts and producer. They will sit and talk about non-sports related matter for large segments of the show, seemingly unaware that anyone is tuning in and listening to them. I get it that these shows need to mix it up a bit, but they go so far beyond that, it's not even funny. That show is on it's last legs, they already got bumped from primetime and they are now just barely better than the morning show.

Halford and Brough are far and away the best sports radio in town, followed by Sekeres and Price. If Sportsnet could ever get anything going that was remotely entertaining, I'd tune in. "Reach Deep" though and Sat and Auld are terrible radio. I will tune in sometimes at lunch and it's just Sat and Auld talking - and it's all completely boring statements/content. Sat's a likeable guy, but he can't drive a show.

Best sportsradio for anyone looking is Maddog at noon - with Chris Russo. Best host I have ever heard - extremely knowledgeable, humble and very likeable. Mixes his show up with guests and calls. The only problem is.....no hockey. If you like the NFL or MLB though, there is nothing better.

I've said previously that I actually liked DT before he was the Canucks colour-guy. He had decent opinions, but it was pretty obvious they required him to be house radio when he took that new job. I don't listen to him too often anymore, but when I do I'm okay with him. I was completely shocked with how bad Hirsch has been listening this week. I've heard him a few times in interviews and he's been bad, but he is somehow even worse during games.

I don't mind Russo, but I usually try to get my MMA fix around that time so I'll listen to Luke Thomas.

Agreed with all of your other takes on the shows.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Sportsnet has copyright struck the GoCanucksGo youtube channel for a second time :(

GoCanucksGo

Last night the Sportsnet broadcast didn't even bother to show a full replay of Pettersson's awesome zone entry. They continue to produce a broadcast that's 50% John Garrett mumbling. They're trying to shut down the best resources for video clips of Canuck games this season, including some awesome Pettersson montages.

Thr NHL is trash and partners with trash companies :(

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas

I'll check out Maddog....I really like Dan Patrick at 9am EST. Agreed Corey Hirsch isn't very good and Halford/Brough are the best Vancouver has to offer. Donnie and the Moj never make it to my playlist.

For Sportsnet to have the rights to the Canucks and have such weak talent is baffling. The Toronto Sportsnet hosts are so much better, I actually like listening to Bob McCown and Prime Time on demand every once in awhile.

so then i started thinking, what does jpat even do? he travels with the team to get quotes and does radio spots all day? seriously, that's it? you'd think someone would establish a 'pool' media establishment with reporters in each city to get quotes and send them digitally to the visiting cities for their radio hits. probly much more cost effective than paying for a travelling beat reporter, right? sorta like the getty images format but for beat reporters.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'll check out Maddog....I really like Dan Patrick at 9am EST. Agreed Corey Hirsch isn't very good and Halford/Brough are the best Vancouver has to offer. Donnie and the Moj never make it to my playlist.

For Sportsnet to have the rights to the Canucks and have such weak talent is baffling. The Toronto Sportsnet hosts are so much better, I actually like listening to Bob McCown and Prime Time on demand every once in awhile.

It's just crazy how bad 650 did at staffing their station. I'm all for having a more diverse station than all middle-aged white guys, but they have to have talent. And then if you are going to have middle-aged white guys, they don't all have to be ex-Canuck goaltenders.

It's not like this was hindsight either, this was discussed at length in this forum and in other places.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Anyone listen to Donny and Moj today (Tuesday). They kept going on and on about the Leafs and how they have their first round pick in play for another trade.... then finally they had a guest on who had to let them know that they already traded their first round pick. These guys have no idea what is going on.

Before that clip Moj declaring the Canucks would be best served signing Edler to a 3-4 year deal. What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->