Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Keep in mind that the Canadians are a Blue Jays affiliate who are owned by Rogers Sportsnet, who also owns 650.

Another good thing about this for 650 is that it likely means that Rob Fay is moving over there. If they can get him to do a show during the daytime as well as the baseball, he's immediately be their best host by a very large margin.

I'm sure the move did come from a few steps above, but it still makes no sense. What is really the appetite for listening to minor league baseball in this market? If there are numbers to support it then that's fine, but these stations routinely are the worst rated in the lower mainland and a major part of it is decisions like this.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I like Brother Jake but only if hes doing a minimal amount of colour on a sports show. Being paired with an idiot like Pratt was too much.

I cant stand his Champ bit either. How has this been going on for 25 plus years? Ive never laughed even once. The champ needs to retire immediately.

You know Bro Jake is gone, right? He does like, a Saturday show once a month but that's it.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
making the switch from tsn to the sportsnet 650 post game show. i rely on the post game because i'm in the east and i rely on the podcast the next morning for analysis. enjoying it so far.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
dear botchford...if we wanna say pettersson is the most exciting player to play for the canucks since bure, we're gonna. some of us were fans of the team when bure played (were you living in toronto then?) i can remember waking up in the morning dialing a sports highlights number on my house phone to get the game recap from jim robson from the night before. all i cared about was whether or not bure scored and if the canucks won it was a bonus.

that's kinda how i feel now. although i'd prefer the canucks lose every game so we have a better shot at hughes :)

Reactions: tradervik

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Botchford's jumped the shark. I've never encountered a man before that's gotten more shrill with age. Like reverse puberty.

Reactions: skeena1

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
listened to the spittin chicklets podcast with shane o'brien. just wow. if any hockey player goes nears my daughters i'll pierce their nads with BBQ skewers. first and last time i'll be listening to that pod. how does biz nasty even have a job??

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
dear botchford...if we wanna say pettersson is the most exciting player to play for the canucks since bure, we're gonna. some of us were fans of the team when bure played (were you living in toronto then?) i can remember waking up in the morning dialing a sports highlights number on my house phone to get the game recap from jim robson from the night before. all i cared about was whether or not bure scored and if the canucks won it was a bonus.

that's kinda how i feel now. although i'd prefer the canucks lose every game so we have a better shot at hughes :)

Don't take it so personally. Im sure Botch is directing that at 90% of the media that last year all used Bure hype comparisons all season long with Boeser, then all talked about Peterson being like Henrik (quite laughable since his 1st NHL game) and now the media all say Peterson hype is like Bure hype. It is all repetitive and uncreative. hows about get creative in reporting or just have one I Mac to use all the Canuck cliches. that's his point I feel. Im sure he doesn't care about what people say to their friends and co-workers.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
There is no local sports coverage in Vancouver

Nows the the time to resurrect Sports Page

Maybe DON Taylor’s Sports page on Chek 6 or City Tv

I want to see UBC and SFU coverage
Western Lacrosse Association coverage
Tier 2 Junior A coverage
Hastings Park sweep six and triactor payouts
High school basketball coverage

The 8-10 minutes of sports on global is a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Tier 2 Junior A coverage

Likely not a profitable venture for any station to do.

Reactions: m9 and skeena1

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
I disagree

A lot of the sponsors of junior A Hockey would jump at the chance to run ads on the show

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No, it's all niche programming that only 5% of the population cares about. There are other ways people can track those things if they want to.

Reactions: skeena1

member 290103

Tier 2 Junior A coverage

The thing is...almost no one cares to see coverage of any of those sports you list.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver

Tier 2 Junior A coverage

Nobody wants to watch this crap. That's why it's not on TV.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Nobody wants to watch this crap. That's why it's not on TV.

So everyone just wants to see the Toronto viewpoint for sports coverage in BC?

Local sports needs TV COVERAGE right now the Province/sun newspapers are on life support and not even local sports radio is offering any coverage

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Not sure if this is in another thread, but Bieksa was on 31 thoughts podcast this week.

Still sounds like the same guy, talked about a large variety of things. I would recommend it.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
So everyone just wants to see the Toronto viewpoint for sports coverage in BC?

Local sports needs TV COVERAGE right now the Province/sun newspapers are on life support and not even local sports radio is offering any coverage

They're all dying mediums, and high school sports won't save any of them. Get real.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
It would raise awareness regarding upcoming games which would get people out if they knew where and what is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->