Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Andrew Walker is offering the latest spin on the contrarian attention seeking take.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Someone just told Blake Price to **** off on the post game show.

Love when people get riled up at media.

Attempted to have a go at moj after Slovakia Canada in 2010 but my friends phone got through too quick. Instead I completely froze up and had one of my classic quotes that I'll never let down. I was way too wasted to get my thoughts gathered.

''just wanted to say it was a good game... And ummm" then panicked and hung up.

Reactions: Grub

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Love when people get riled up at media.

Attempted to have a go at moj after Slovakia Canada in 2010 but my friends phone got through too quick. Instead I completely froze up and had one of my classic quotes that I'll never let down. I was way too wasted to get my thoughts gathered.

''just wanted to say it was a good game... And ummm" then panicked and hung up.

Lol.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
As much as I dislike Pratts stupid rants and the excessive product placement on 1040, at least the station has character. 650 is monotone and boring. Their bias is unpalatable.

Reactions: cabinessence

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
As much as I dislike Pratts stupid rants and the excessive product placement on 1040, at least the station has character. 650 is monotone and boring. Their bias is unpalatable.
The 650 morning show is unlistenable now and I tend to lose my voice yelling at Pratt....mostly listen to music on my morning commute now.

Reactions: geebaan

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i feel bad for the woman dj pedalling furiously in the evenings on 650 when there is no game on. no guests, everything talked to death already earlier, and nobody listening.

Reactions: lindgren

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There are essentially only two things needed to be a decent radio host (in general terms) and those are a) be knowledgeable and b) entertain.

Sat is a 10/10 for the first part and a 1/10 for the second part. I'll still take that 11/20 over many of the local radio hosts, but still lots of room for improvement. He is exactly how he was on 1040 & the Canucks army podcast, good and bad.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016

I agree with your assessment. I dont like Pratt but I do find his show more entertaining, especially with Bro Jake gone. In a wierd way I feel sorry for him, because Botch, Sermon and that producer guy really give it to him for his nonsensical takes. On the other hand 650 is unlistenable, the morning show is so dry and boring. I cant stand their trivia segement. Its not entertaining listening to dead air when a caller doesn't know the answer, and even if he does know the answer it doesnt do anything for me. Just a complete yawn-fest.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
It is so boring and they add in so much dead air. What's with Dhaliwal's on air persona as the wild and crazy party guy drinking Crown and as someone who should be banned from BC Place because of his zaniness!? It seems more than forced, like they said you're a morning guy now, you have to be wacky.

Reactions: Tighthead

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Is Dhaliwal doing a Crown Royal thing to be like Moj and Pratt? Moj and Pratt are not cool. The fact that they think they are so cool is the only entertaining thing about them.

I like Brother Jake but only if hes doing a minimal amount of colour on a sports show. Being paired with an idiot like Pratt was too much.

I cant stand his Champ bit either. How has this been going on for 25 plus years? Ive never laughed even once. The champ needs to retire immediately.

Don Taylor is great if hes reading the sports news and adding colour on the fly. He is totally miscast as an analyst.

Dave Tomlinson should be the lowest common denominator for sports radio hosts. By that I mean he is barely passable only because he keeps the idiot Pratt in check. I don't care about his analysis or his 40 games in the NHL.

Ray Ferraro is far and away the best personality and analyst on Vancouver sports radio. I drop anything I'm doing when hes on the radio. He doesn't need a schtick or pretend to be anything. Only wish he was still on in prime time.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Is Dhaliwal doing a Crown Royal thing to be like Moj and Pratt? Moj and Pratt are not cool. The fact that they think they are so cool is the only entertaining thing about them.

I like Brother Jake but only if hes doing a minimal amount of colour on a sports show. Being paired with an idiot like Pratt was too much.

I cant stand his Champ bit either. How has this been going on for 25 plus years? Ive never laughed even once. The champ needs to retire immediately.

Don Taylor is great if hes reading the sports news and adding colour on the fly. He is totally miscast as an analyst.

Dave Tomlinson should be the lowest common denominator for sports radio hosts. By that I mean he is barely passable only because he keeps the idiot Pratt in check. I don't care about his analysis or his 40 games in the NHL.

Ray Ferraro is far and away the best personality and analyst on Vancouver sports radio. I drop anything I'm doing when hes on the radio. He doesn't need a schtick or pretend to be anything. Only wish he was still on in prime time.

If you weren't already aware Ferraro has a semi regular podcast called " pulp hockey." It's him and another guy but it's more of the other guy asking Ray questions and getting his answers.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i listen to the 1040 post game show, i haven't tried the 650 post game show yet. it's the same format everytime on 1040...blake and dave blah blah blah, one call, more blah blah until paterson gets the coach presser, blah blah, paterson calls in and then it's even more downhill from there.

what's lost on both of these stations is the art of the fan calling in to vent and talk about the game.

i listened to bob mcCown on the fan the other day and he took an hour of fans calling in to talk about whatever. he was respectful, answered all their questions and really seemed to value his listeners. meanwhile, 1040 makes it seem like a chore to even hear from one person.

i miss dan russell (pre-bitter days) for this reason. fans calling in is entertaining if the host handles it properly. the key ingredient is to have a host whose got a valuable opinion who fans want to bounce their ideas off. not sure there's anyone in this market who currently fits that bill.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
i listen to the 1040 post game show, i haven't tried the 650 post game show yet. it's the same format everytime on 1040...blake and dave blah blah blah, one call, more blah blah until paterson gets the coach presser, blah blah, paterson calls in and then it's even more downhill from there.

what's lost on both of these stations is the art of the fan calling in to vent and talk about the game.

i listened to bob mcCown on the fan the other day and he took an hour of fans calling in to talk about whatever. he was respectful, answered all their questions and really seemed to value his listeners. meanwhile, 1040 makes it seem like a chore to even hear from one person.

i miss dan russell (pre-bitter days) for this reason. fans calling in is entertaining if the host handles it properly. the key ingredient is to have a host whose got a valuable opinion who fans want to bounce their ideas off. not sure there's anyone in this market who currently fits that bill.
Great post and so true! At least Dan "The Beard" would do a lot of open phones. 1040 seems to waste so much time reciting the number to call and letting you know that they will be opening up the phone boards, and eventually taking 1 or 2 calls. I find the 1040 post game show still better than that of 650's. When they go to Corey Hirsch he is near inaudible, just quiet off mic mumbling. Then they bring in Ian Macintyre to wrap things up. I don't mind Ian as much as many here, maybe it's because it's a contrast to Paterson's "the sky is falling for the Vancouver Canucks" attitude (why does Jeff always have to say the Vancouver Canucks?).

Last edited:
Reactions: carolinacanuck

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Great post and so true! At least Dan "The Beard" would do a lot of open phones. 1040 seems to waste so much time reciting the number to call and letting you know that they will be opening up the phone boards, and eventually taking 1 or 2 calls. I find the 1040 post game show still better than that of 650's. When they go to Corey Hirsch he is near inaudible, just quiet off mic mumbling. Then they bring in Ian Macintyre to wrap things up. I don't mind as Ian as much as many here, maybe it's because it's a contrast to Paterson's "the sky is falling for the Vancouver Canucks" attitude (why does Jeff always have to say the Vancouver Canucks?).

I like Ian too. Great writer, even if people accuse him of being a shill. I just look at it as him having the best connections. Open phones is a lost art, maybe because fans post opinions and vent on social media and message boards instead?

I wonder what would happen if botch took calls on tsn. He's got pretty good opinions and his takes are spot on most of the time. Would be entertaining to hear him get into it with fans. Hearing Brian Burke take calls would be great too, if he could keep his patience.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Read that Vancouver Canadians games will now be played on 650. Maybe they already are, I don't know.

This isn't a slight to baseball fans or especially fans of the team, but who running a radio station would make these decisions? The ratings for these games must be brutal as I assume 99% of people have no interest in listening to minor league baseball games on the radio.

Having this niche programming is just awful, awful management and is why these radio stations continue to fail.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

agree with all of this.

Not sure what he's doing know but i was a fan of Rintoul in the morning because he could really move quickly and decisively through topics. When Bro and Pratt took over i could drive 40min and get a couple ACDC blasts Prattt trying to set up mostly some stupid rant and TMZ stuff i could care less about.

If 1040 was smart they would give Pratt the pre game hype segment. That was his best shtick to date and give Don Taylor a chance to do a history of sport 1hr segment once a week that they could repeat as a filler for dead spots.
Let him bring on guests from the past and tell stories, i think that would be cool.

just wanted to add the disgusting bit of journalism i read this week in the Province by Ben Kuzma. Quoting a physician that has had no contact with Elias Pettersson on his concussion and using it as a click bait is exactly the reason why i cancelled my subscription to that tabloid laden rag.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I like Ian too. Great writer, even if people accuse him of being a shill. I just look at it as him having the best connections. Open phones is a lost art, maybe because fans post opinions and vent on social media and message boards instead?

I wonder what would happen if botch took calls on tsn. He's got pretty good opinions and his takes are spot on most of the time. Would be entertaining to hear him get into it with fans. Hearing Brian Burke take calls would be great too, if he could keep his patience.
Burke used to regularly take calls when he was on with Dan Russell. He was pretty good at engaging with fans, and blowing up at them, calling their opinions absurd, and asking them what bar they were calling from. Fun times.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Read that Vancouver Canadians games will now be played on 650. Maybe they already are, I don't know.

This isn't a slight to baseball fans or especially fans of the team, but who running a radio station would make these decisions? The ratings for these games must be brutal as I assume 99% of people have no interest in listening to minor league baseball games on the radio.

Having this niche programming is just awful, awful management and is why these radio stations continue to fail.

Keep in mind that the Canadians are a Blue Jays affiliate who are owned by Rogers Sportsnet, who also owns 650.

Another good thing about this for 650 is that it likely means that Rob Fay is moving over there. If they can get him to do a show during the daytime as well as the baseball, he's immediately be their best host by a very large margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->