Vancouver Sports Media III

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I still think that the way for 650 to try to put a dent in the market is to switch to an all-NHL format, at least for September-June or whatever. I don't think the market really cares about most of the other stuff anyway.

I'm not sure they are allowed to do that under their broadcast licenses. Certainly, Rogers would want them to cover the Blue Jays if they are playing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm not sure they are allowed to do that under their broadcast licenses. Certainly, Rogers would want them to cover the Blue Jays if they are playing.

I'd be interested in what the ratings are for Blue Jays games here and baseball content on the stations in general. I have a feeling it's low because most people don't care about baseball. I don't see why having a Toronto baseball team on Vancouver radio would be a requirement, anyway.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'd be interested in what the ratings are for Blue Jays games here and baseball content on the stations in general. I have a feeling it's low because most people don't care about baseball. I don't see why having a Toronto baseball team on Vancouver radio would be a requirement, anyway.

The CRTC can have some content requirements that needs to be adhered to. My baseball comment is related to Rogers owning the Blue Jays.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Personally, I’d rather hockey talk. But If Rogers insists otherwise, I do enjoy baseball on the radio. Although we have the Mariners broadcasts on the Seattle station for that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The CRTC can have some content requirements that needs to be adhered to. My baseball comment is related to Rogers owning the Blue Jays.

I don't see how the CRTC would be an issue.

It's a Vancouver radio station. They can either figure it out and put out better content or continue to put up abysmal ratings with the stuff they've been putting up.

That said - I actually think they'll see a nice spike because of the Canucks run here but I'm not sure if they can keep it up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Personally, I’d rather hockey talk. But If Rogers insists otherwise, I do enjoy baseball on the radio. Although we have the Mariners broadcasts on the Seattle station for that.

I'm sure there is a extremely small pool of people who like listening to baseball on the radio. Even then, there is a split between Mariners/Blue Jays fans here so I can't imagine the ratings for each team are too high. is anyone listening to a random baseball game between two teams that they aren't fans of? That is the exact kind of stuff that people can find online if they want, the need/want for it on regular radio in Vancouver is so minimal.

Reactions: Luckylarry

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't see how the CRTC would be an issue.

It's a Vancouver radio station. They can either figure it out and put out better content or continue to put up abysmal ratings with the stuff they've been putting up.

That said - I actually think they'll see a nice spike because of the Canucks run here but I'm not sure if they can keep it up.

CRTC can and does impose certain requirements. What I'm saying is that as part of their license agreement, 650 may be REQUIRED to offer coverage of other local sports teams. So I'm saying that 1) 650 is not allowed under their licensing terms to just cover the NHL and 2) Rogers can and will require 650 to cover Blue Jays games.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I am a listener 0f tsn 1040, I think they are the go to for canucks content, and I am a JPat fan, he asks the best questions in the biz and I like his stories from the road and behind the scenes on his podcast...

BUT... Drance does NOTHING for me as a fan. When the Canucks win a F'n Play-Off game I do NOT want to hear about how bad they played, I do not want to here a guy laugh at how great the Knights are at chirping the Canucks, F'k the knights, I want to fan boy at the canucks achievements...

AND on that note, SN650 has been absolute MONEY with their game day and post-game show. Shotgun jake a cold one and inject that shit into my veins... LETS F'N GO

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Brendan Bachelor and Corey Hirsh will be doing the radio games for the conference finals and Stanley Cup Finals across Canada on the Sportsnet radio network

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Brendan Bachelor and Corey Hirsh will be doing the radio games for the conference finals and Stanley Cup Finals across Canada on the Sportsnet radio network
Agree Batchelor is Pretty good. Hirsch is maybe top 3 worst color guys I’ve heard.

gives Greg Miller a run for his money

Reactions: hesh

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I am a listener 0f tsn 1040, I think they are the go to for canucks content, and I am a JPat fan, he asks the best questions in the biz and I like his stories from the road and behind the scenes on his podcast...

BUT... Drance does NOTHING for me as a fan. When the Canucks win a F'n Play-Off game I do NOT want to hear about how bad they played, I do not want to here a guy laugh at how great the Knights are at chirping the Canucks, F'k the knights, I want to fan boy at the canucks achievements...

AND on that note, SN650 has been absolute MONEY with their game day and post-game show. Shotgun jake a cold one and inject that shit into my veins... LETS F'N GO
Drance provides a balanced opinion and gives some hard truths.
SN is just a Canucks cheerleader station. If they didn’t have the broadcast rights, they wouldn’t be relevant.
Just to add... shotgun Jake is a TSN thing.

Reactions: rypper

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Drance provides a balanced opinion and gives some hard truths.
SN is just a Canucks cheerleader station. If they didn’t have the broadcast rights, they wouldn’t be relevant.
Just to add... shotgun Jake is a TSN thing.

Yea I like TSN...

and as I said, after a playoff win I like to celebrate not listen to Drance when he is trying to be the balanced NHL reporter representing the whole Athletic in the Edmonton bubble. I miss Botchfords celebrate the fan's style. That's what I paid for not Drancers look how well balanced I am.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Caught SN this morning sept 8. Have to say I’m always never surprised that media just spits out they they want to keep this play and that player without any thought to the impact on the cap or situation.
Perry is like we’d love to have this goaltending duo for a couple more year. Dude there is the Seattle ED coming up. Not happening.
Glad to hear Beet chime in and say hey this is just us throwing stuff out and not having to deal with the actual gm duties of fitting it all in.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I wonder if Thomas Drance can go 24 hours without saying or writing the word "leverage".

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Latest radio ratings came out.

Just more of the same. TSN has roughly 80% of the sports radio market locally.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Latest radio ratings came out.

Just more of the same. TSN has roughly 80% of the sports radio market locally.
And that’s during the Canucks playoff success, while 650 has Canuck’s rights. 650 needs to get better hosts for their shows.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Canuck ratings are very good. the problem with SN650 is before the game starts and after the game ends listeners switch over to TSN 1040.

Too bad Satiar Shah is super nice guy. I see him at the gym all the time

Reactions: m9

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I always enjoy listening to Ray Ferraro ..even when he is critical of management, he always has a well thought out reason to back up his criticism...However, in these playoffs , his read on the Canucks team was consistently horrible..every time he went on TV/Radio predicting the Canucks would get stomped, the exact opposite happened.

Ray was a Canuck fan growing up, but sometimes it seems like he's got a real bug up his ass regarding the Canucks.

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I always enjoy listening to Ray Ferraro ..even when he is critical of management, he always has a well thought out reason to back up his criticism...However, in these playoffs , his read on the Canucks team was consistently horrible..every time he went on TV/Radio predicting the Canucks would get stomped, the exact opposite happened.

Ray was a Canuck fan growing up, but sometimes it seems like he's got a real bug up his ass regarding the Canucks.

Well against Vegas the Canucks definitely were stomped, the just managed to find a way to win.

Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad