Vancouver Sports Media III

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Aside from Petey and Hughes everyone else should be considered for trade if it makes sense. No different than in Buffalo with Eichel and Dahlin and then there’s everyone else. Same with Edm and McDavid and Leon. Go around the NHL. You have to give to get.

words are important. Just like people knocking Linden for retool vs rebuild.

exploring or shopping actually means they are taking the initiative to contact other teams. Rather than being called about him or have his name come up when you make a call on another player.
But really, you can’t call about someone like Parayko, Dumba, etc for example without Boeser’s name coming up.

a lot of nothing but at the same time these media guys will claim credit for breaking it early if it does go down when most time these things don’t.

“Canucks are exploring”. He didn’t say “we’re exploring”. He said “are exploring” - present tense. And who with the Canucks would be “exploring” trades? Benning and Wisebrod, right? So either Sekeras’ source is Benning or Wisebrod, or he’s making this all up.

Yes. If we are to read Sekeres (who is known to be careful with his words) literally, then it does seem to suggest that the Canucks are "exploring" the possibility of trading Boeser by actually making calls to other teams or sending feelers out. Given where the Canucks were at, the timing does seem weird. You would think Benning would at least wait and see how Boeser and his team performs. Still, Sekeres doesn't have the reputation of making things up. Maybe he's fed this information by say an outgoing Brackett?

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
“Canucks are exploring”. He didn’t say “we’re exploring”. He said “are exploring” - present tense. And who with the Canucks would be “exploring” trades? Benning and Wisebrod, right? So either Sekeras’ source is Benning or Wisebrod, or he’s making this all up.

They might be the two exploring the trade, but wouldn't be the only ones in the front office with knowledge of it. There's much more voices for that info to have come from.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Yes. If we are to read Sekeres (who is known to be careful with his words) literally, then it does seem to suggest that the Canucks are "exploring" the possibility of trading Boeser by actually making calls to other teams or sending feelers out. Given where the Canucks were at, the timing does seem weird. You would think Benning would at least wait and see how Boeser and his team performs. Still, Sekeres doesn't have the reputation of making things up. Maybe he's fed this information by say an outgoing Brackett?

Right after saying the "Canucks were exploring the idea of trading Boeser", Sekeres added that "they weren't shopping him around". Probably means Weisbrod was fooling around with the Armchair GM feature on CapFriendly, didn't close his browser, and some flunky shoulder surfed and passed the info on to Sekeres.

Reactions: sting101 and F A N

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They might be the two exploring the trade, but wouldn't be the only ones in the front office with knowledge of it. There's much more voices for that info to have come from.
Be specific. Who are these “front office people” that would be privy to JB and Wisebrod’s trade discussion (about Boeser) conversations.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Be specific. Who are these “front office people” that would be privy to JB and Wisebrod’s trade discussion (about Boeser) conversations.

Sure, any or all of these people could be aware of or involved in trade talks:

- Stan Smyl
- Chris Gear
- John Wall
- Chris Higgins
- Ryan Johnson
- Brett Henning
- Doug Jarvis
- Ryan Biech
- Any member of the scouting staff pro or amateur.

Reactions: racerjoe

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

- Stan Smyl
- Chris Gear
- John Wall
- Chris Higgins
- Ryan Johnson
- Brett Henning
- Doug Jarvis
- Ryan Biech
So what you’re saying is one of those guys is a snitch? Sekeras made a mistake in the tense of his statement. He indicated the present tense “are”, and clearly the Canucks weren’t. They may have been in the past, but they weren’t when Sekares made his statement.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
So what you’re saying is one of those guys is a snitch? Sekeras made a mistake in the tense of his statement. He indicated the present tense “are”, and clearly the Canucks weren’t. They may have been in the past, but they weren’t when Sekares made his statement.

Who knows man. An NHL front office isn't an air tight entity.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

- Stan Smyl
- Chris Gear
- John Wall
- Chris Higgins
- Ryan Johnson
- Brett Henning
- Doug Jarvis
- Ryan Biech

It was probably Brandon.

Reactions: rypper

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Never heard of the Larschcast before but was flipping channels this morning.. what an awful show. How is this on the radio? Feels like they gave a radio show to a bunch of amateur fanboys.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I do think it's pretty cool that 650 is trying to find ways to add extra content during this playoff run with a Canucks show early on a Saturday morning. It's just too bad it is so, so bad.

By contrast I think it was like 4 or 5pm Saturday night and instead of a pre-game show TSN1040 was playing what seemed to be some sort of drinking show? Very strange.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I do think it's pretty cool that 650 is trying to find ways to add extra content during this playoff run with a Canucks show early on a Saturday morning. It's just too bad it is so, so bad.

By contrast I think it was like 4 or 5pm Saturday night and instead of a pre-game show TSN1040 was playing what seemed to be some sort of drinking show? Very strange.
Agreed. Vancouver is, first and foremost, a hockey town. The more local hockey programming the better for that station for sure. That being said, 650 needs to improve on some of their hosts. Morning guys are horrifyingly terrible. What they need to do is have an ex hockey player with each host in the morning. Best hockey talk we had was a six month period when Scotty and Ray Ferraro shared a show. (On 1040)

Reactions: racerjoe

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed. Vancouver is, first and foremost, a hockey town. The more local hockey programming the better for that station for sure. That being said, 650 needs to improve on some of their hosts. Morning guys are horrifyingly terrible. What they need to do is have an ex hockey player with each host in the morning. Best hockey talk we had was a six month period when Scotty and Ray Ferraro shared a show. (On 1040)

I disagree that they need more ex-hockey players. Ferraro is an outlier in that he is exceptional at what he does and when you have these kind of ex-hockey players that are really, really good inevitably they will move onto bigger or better things in the hockey community.

SN650 has started using Hansen & Jovo during their intermission/post-game show and I can't say I'm a fan. I think Hansen really understands the game and is very smart, just the language barrier is a bit too much for him to be a radio guy. Jovo is.. ok. Pretty generic analysis to me. Sat & Walker really shine on those shows compared to the ex-Canucks.

I actually think 650 has some of the pieces to come up with a better lineup. Cybulski & Rintoul are both capable but you need someone with a bit more punch with them. I like Sat & Walker. I don't really like the "Reach Deep" show but maybe if they moved some pieces around it would work.

I still think that the way for 650 to try to put a dent in the market is to switch to an all-NHL format, at least for September-June or whatever. I don't think the market really cares about most of the other stuff anyway.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I disagree that they need more ex-hockey players. Ferraro is an outlier in that he is exceptional at what he does and when you have these kind of ex-hockey players that are really, really good inevitably they will move onto bigger or better things in the hockey community.

SN650 has started using Hansen & Jovo during their intermission/post-game show and I can't say I'm a fan. I think Hansen really understands the game and is very smart, just the language barrier is a bit too much for him to be a radio guy. Jovo is.. ok. Pretty generic analysis to me. Sat & Walker really shine on those shows compared to the ex-Canucks.

I actually think 650 has some of the pieces to come up with a better lineup. Cybulski & Rintoul are both capable but you need someone with a bit more punch with them. I like Sat & Walker. I don't really like the "Reach Deep" show but maybe if they moved some pieces around it would work.

I still think that the way for 650 to try to put a dent in the market is to switch to an all-NHL format, at least for September-June or whatever. I don't think the market really cares about most of the other stuff anyway.
We disagree on some points, but we definitely agree on your idea of an all NHL format.

Reactions: m9

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It would just be so smart in terms of branding and marketing. And if you've seen their ratings, what do you have to lose?
Bring back Pratt too. Put him with Sat Shaw. Let the fireworks begin. It’s entertainment, right?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Bring back Pratt too. Put him with Sat Shaw. Let the fireworks begin. It’s entertainment, right?

Unfortunately I think Pratt is almost Bro Jake level now in terms of hockey knowledge, so if I'm designing a an all-hockey network he's not a part of it. But I like the general thought of getting someone a bit more entertaining in there.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Unfortunately I think Pratt is almost Bro Jake level now in terms of hockey knowledge, so if I'm designing a an all-hockey network he's not a part of it. But I like the general thought of getting someone a bit more entertaining in there.
Agreed Pratt knows little about hockey, but who on 650 really knows that much about the game anyway? None of them played, or coached, or really knows the sport other than watching.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed Pratt knows little about hockey, but who on 650 really knows that much about the game anyway? None of them played, or coached, or really knows the sport other than watching.

Playing or coaching in the NHL isn't really a requirement for me, especially when a ton of the talk on the radio is about off-ice things like the salary cap, drafting, etc that players and coaches don't know much about. I do think Sat knows his stuff though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Playing or coaching in the NHL isn't really a requirement for me, especially when a ton of the talk on the radio is about off-ice things like the salary cap, drafting, etc that players and coaches don't know much about. I do think Sat knows his stuff though.
I really like Sat. I liked him on 1040, and how he would interact with Pratt. He would put Pratt in his place, which was entertaining. Maybe I just want to see Sat using Pratt as his (proverbial) punching bag again?

Reactions: m9

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Walker tacking on the play-in round and then comparing this team's performance to the WCE team as having "played more playoff games" is insane. Would it have been even better if Minnesota had pushed them to 5? Imagine the WCE got a tune-up series against a non-playoff team first, would fans start dunking on the early '90s Canucks?

And anyway, you don't get to just throw all results out the window for a few good playoff games. North American sports fans have the craziest cognitive dissonance when it comes to knockout tournaments being the "truth" no matter what happens before. There is promise with this team, for sure, but dunking on a team that was a juggernaut for a few seasons is silly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Walker tacking on the play-in round and then comparing this team's performance to the WCE team as having "played more playoff games" is insane. Would it have been even better if Minnesota had pushed them to 5? Imagine the WCE got a tune-up series against a non-playoff team first, would fans start dunking on the early '90s Canucks?

And anyway, you don't get to just throw all results out the window for a few good playoff games. North American sports fans have the craziest cognitive dissonance when it comes to knockout tournaments being the "truth" no matter what happens before. There is promise with this team, for sure, but dunking on a team that was a juggernaut for a few seasons is silly.

As an Arsenal fan, I'm pretty sure their FA Cup success means they had a way better season than those losers at Liverpool.

It really is the strangest thing, isn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->