Vancouver Sports Media III

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Other than radio/TV, what kind of online media are you guys following to keep tabs on the Nucks (other than here of course :naughty:)?

member 290103

I don't mean to single you out, as many posters have said roughly the same thing, but the show content is decided by the program director and other higher ups. They believe that the audience likes this stuff. It has very little to do with the producer of the individual show.

Going back to the days when Pratt and Moj were co-hosting, the decision makers have shown that they believe the hard-core sports audience is limited, and hosts need to keep things light. I don't like it at all, but they believe listeners like you and me are in the minority.

Fair enough. I don’t doubt you know what you are talking about. I think Donnie and the Moj is garbage, whoever is responsible. I’ve never talked to anyone that thinks it’s good...but someone must.

Best show in the radio is maddog Chris Russo on Sirius. Pure sports...just no hockey.

Reactions: lindgren

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I don't mean to single you out, as many posters have said roughly the same thing, but the show content is decided by the program director and other higher ups. They believe that the audience likes this stuff. It has very little to do with the producer of the individual show.

Going back to the days when Pratt and Moj were co-hosting, the decision makers have shown that they believe the hard-core sports audience is limited, and hosts need to keep things light. I don't like it at all, but they believe listeners like you and me are in the minority.
I actually agree with the program directors. My girl is a casual sports fan and she regularly listens to donnie and the moj. Its the only sports radio show she listens too

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I actually agree with the program directors. My girl is a casual sports fan and she regularly listens to donnie and the moj. Its the only sports radio show she listens too

I mean who doesn’t wanna hear about Actresses they would “do”, celebrity birthdays , what’s better a hot dog or a hamburger etc in a sports radio program?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Other than radio/TV, what kind of online media are you guys following to keep tabs on the Nucks (other than here of course :naughty:)?

This might be painfully obvious but Twitter... It is a very powerful tool to get news from media about Canucks, Utica and prospects in general. It is also a source to find articles of interest, as every article an author writes will put a link for it on twitter. Packed full of bloggers and podcasters hustling. It can be funny, but can also be the a$$hole of the internet.

Reactions: vanuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This might be painfully obvious but Twitter... It is a very powerful tool to get news from media about Canucks, Utica and prospects in general. It is also a source to find articles of interest, as every article an author writes will put a link for it on twitter. Packed full of bloggers and podcasters hustling. It can be funny, but can also be the a$$hole of the internet.

Twitter to me seems to be a great tool if you follow the right people and not obnoxious loudmouths spewing their alcohol/rage-fuelled opinions. I don't really have a great opinion of people on Reddit or Facebook too funny enough.

Reactions: m9

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Twitter to me seems to be a great tool if you follow the right people and not obnoxious loudmouths spewing their alcohol/rage-fuelled opinions. I don't really have a great opinion of people on Reddit or Facebook too funny enough.

My opinion is Twitter is the cesspool of social media. I still use it though.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Dhaliwal not also writing a Canucks insider article with the Athletic.

he wrote the first one today and it was excellent. worth the $5.00 a month it cost to subscribe I highly recommend it

Reactions: tradervik

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm definitely going to read every Dhaliwal article; I enjoyed the first one.

I like that it's relatively simplistic and he doesn't try to sound too intelligent or act like someone he's not.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I like the team The Athletic has brought together this year. Drance, Dayal, Arndt, Dhaliwhal and Burke writing, with Drance and JPat doing the Podcast. RIP Botchford

Reactions: vancityluongo

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Anyone complaining about Twitter doesn't use it properly. Depending on your interests you can just follow 10-20 people and get all the information you need very quickly.

Might get back into it

Aside from Dhaliwal, who are the other must follows for Canucks news?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Might get back into it

Aside from Dhaliwal, who are the other must follows for Canucks news?
If you want news without opinion or political commentary then I would say Dhaliwal for insider info, JPat and Drancer because they are on the road and then Comets Cory for Utica info and Dweeb for shotguns. And that is probably all you need to stay up to date with any news, as everyone else just says the same news and those guys don't tend to tweet for entertainment or get political.

If you want opinion or analysis that is another thing with a heap of others to follow

If you want guys Tweeting about the game as it happens there are more

If you want Left-wing political commentary the ski is the limit

And if you want straight-up communism JD is your guy

Reactions: victoriacanucker

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The only reason I would ever go on Twitter is to skim David Simon’s feed for new and original swear words, ya f***MOOKS!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like following capfriendly and/or their transactions account. I don't really care about NHL rumors or opinions so it's great for just trades/signings/etc. Then just supplement with whichever Canuck accounts you prefer.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Justin Morissette's "Locked on Canucks" podcast has been handy for someone like me who can't often watch games as it is uploaded often enough (theoretically daily, but not always) and is short enough (around 30 minutes) that it serves as more of a real-time news source than a lot of podcasts. And despite the short format, Justin does more than review what happened in the most recent game – he does discuss trends, talks to guests, takes questions, etc. I've found it's very digestible.

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Justin Morissette's "Locked on Canucks" podcast has been handy for someone like me who can't often watch games as it is uploaded often enough (theoretically daily, but not always) and is short enough (around 30 minutes) that it serves as more of a real-time news source than a lot of podcasts. And despite the short format, Justin does more than review what happened in the most recent game – he does discuss trends, talks to guests, takes questions, etc. I've found it's very digestible.

If you can't often watch games, why don't you just watch the long highlights instead of listening to a 30 minute broadcast? Wouldn't that be a better recap of what happened in the game?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Agreed.

Very good podcast. He's very fair about the state of the team and it's a good listen regardless of your thoughts on the current regime.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If you can't often watch games, why don't you just watch the long highlights instead of listening to a 30 minute broadcast? Wouldn't that be a better recap of what happened in the game?
If you miss a game, do you read the GDT's here afterwards? Listening to a podcast or post-game radio is pretty similar to coming here and seeing what people thought of the game.

I've missed a few games and periods this season (my kids hockey schedule seems to line up with the Canucks') and I come here and go other places to see what people are saying....and also watch the extended highlights.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The best place to get Canucks info right now has to be the Athletic. Between Drance, Dayal, Arndt and now Dhaliwal (Arndt may have to change his name to Darnt), you've got an amazing team providing a wealth of insight into what's happening with the team.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If you want news without opinion or political commentary then I would say Dhaliwal for insider info, JPat and Drancer because they are on the road and then Comets Cory for Utica info and Dweeb for shotguns. And that is probably all you need to stay up to date with any news, as everyone else just says the same news and those guys don't tend to tweet for entertainment or get political.

If you want opinion or analysis that is another thing with a heap of others to follow

If you want guys Tweeting about the game as it happens there are more

If you want Left-wing political commentary the ski is the limit

And if you want straight-up communism JD is your guy

@Dweeb truly is the shotgun king.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad