Vancouver Sports Media III

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
I remember that....The Grill with grivia! I remember a caller complaining to DT that he missed some sort of feature or thing that Dan Russll used to do , and DT snapped, well then go listen to Dan on that internet show he's got going now (implying that the internet was a medium few listened to).

Maybe if we go back to calling in and asking about Frank Drebin he might bring back the energy

Reactions: cabinessence

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Taylor was terrific - and years ahead of his time - as a sportsdesk highlights reader. Unfortunately his substance never matched his ambition for anything beyond that, and now he's just mailing it in for a paycheck.
It's interesting that guys like John Shorthouse, Jamie Campbell, Dave Randorf, Barry MacDonald, and Don Taylor all got their start at the old CKVU-13 Sportspage back in the day. And there must be a few others I can't remember. Pretty amazing that all of them are still active in the business.

But you kind of feel for the young people trying to break into the business today. The number of channels, networks and social media outlets has completely fractured the market.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I have fond memories of listening to Don Taylor when he did highlights back in the day. Miss those times.

Reactions: hellstick

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Randorf, Taylor, and Bmac on sports page was incredible, probably the best sportscasting in Vancouver history.

Hopefully Bmac is doing better these days.

I always wondered if Taylor's quality degradation was partially from his inability to get to the next level like Hughson or shorthouse. He was a clear step above for years but his attempts at play by play were terrible, even he would tell you that.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I have fond memories of listening to Don Taylor when he did highlights back in the day. Miss those times.
Yeah, I grew up on Don Taylor sportsnet highlight packages. He's one of the few old guys with limited analysis in media I can listen to because he's nostalgic. I also find him to be funny, so I don't mind listening to the mid-day show, even if there really isn't much substance.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Like Taylor and Moje (and Ryan the producer dude) they make me chuckle from time to time and are pretty good. Sekeres and Price are boring and dry. Sekeres is a tool, it’s sports radio no one cares about your vocabulary level or intellect just bring us the damn sports news in an entertaining way and let the interviewees and insiders say what they have to say without interrupting them every 15 seconds.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Is it just me or do others find Dan Riccio's insanely annoying pauses aggravating? He...can't...seem to...say anything...without pausing...for an eternity...

I sometimes don't get 1040 very clearly in Victoria and am forced to listen to him on occasion. Maddening to say the least.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Sekeres and Price is constant game show features..welcome mat, tell me i'm wrong, errors and omissions, ...why not bring back the high 5 at 5?

member 290103

Like Taylor and Moje (and Ryan the producer dude) they make me chuckle from time to time and are pretty good. Sekeres and Price are boring and dry. Sekeres is a tool, it’s sports radio no one cares about your vocabulary level or intellect just bring us the damn sports news in an entertaining way and let the interviewees and insiders say what they have to say without interrupting them every 15 seconds.

Disagree with this post - find Taylor and Moj are just there to entertain each other and they lose sight of the fact that we are tuning in for Sports Talk radio - not to hear about their favorite 80's strip bar or to listen to them hack on Big Ry. The fact that the "Blue and Green" lunch is composed of segments like "DTMZ" and "Birthdays!" is absurd. These guys just need to pack it in and go get their jollies over coffee at Tim Hortons daily, like the rest of the retired folk.

I hear you to a degree on Sekeres and it took me some time to get past the fact he is a bit pompous, but he is highly educated in a variety of different sports and has good, reasoned takes. The show does have some really boring segments (that stupid segment where they debate each other is Donnie/Moj level nonsense), but by and large the show is solid.

Halford and Brough is the best show going right now......they just have to keep focused and not drift off to Donnie/Moj land.

Over the years, I have noticed that sometimes these hosts get so full of themselves they forget what got them to where they are. Dan Russell is the biggest example of this. He thought he was so important and beloved that he could just turn his show into his own soapbox to air his personal grievances and he forgot that people tuned in were basically Canuck fans and grew tired of listening to his hater talk. That no one has ever re-hired him is telling. If you go to his twitter, you'll find a clue why - it's incredibly partisan and it's clear he would probably not change were he to be given a second chance.

(In it's day though, Dan Russell Sportstalk was as good as any radio, ever, imo).

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Russell was well suited to the era where we caught up on news at the end of the day. Now we follow it all day long. He also did long interviews, which suited the night shift.

But when he went sour, it was over quickly. No self awareness, no balance. He just started trashing the NHL and promoting the WHL.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sekeres and Price is constant game show features..welcome mat, tell me i'm wrong, errors and omissions, ...why not bring back the high 5 at 5?

I can't stand how they insist on these bits as well and need to name every segment or hour. Sekeres has a few other quirks that bother me as well. Despite all that, I am a fan of their show and and I think generally they are pretty good.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Dave Tomlinson just tweeted something that leads me to believe he'll be rejoining TSN 1040 at some point soon.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh Gawd, was the interview today by Taylor and dahiwhal with David Brailey one of the worst from an interviewer. They are so poor at phrasing and asking their questions that they cut off Brailey a couple of times to continue their long winded question.

ex. First question by Dhaliwahl, “are you prepared to sell the B.C. lions” Short pause, then comes “ cause that’s the million dollar question”. Brailey was just starting to answer the question before rick continued on.

just simply poor execution of an interview. My goodness.... simply a terrible job. Amateurish.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Russell was well suited to the era where we caught up on news at the end of the day. Now we follow it all day long. He also did long interviews, which suited the night shift.

But when he went sour, it was over quickly. No self awareness, no balance. He just started trashing the NHL and promoting the WHL.

Russell's whole career goal was to be the next Jim Robson. When that didn't happen and he got passed over for Hughson and then for Shorthouse, he just completely lost the plot and turned into a bitter old man with zero self-awareness. And blamed the team. He was negative when it was correct to be negative from 1996-99 but it was in 1999 that Shorthouse came in while the team was getting sorted out and that's when he went totally out of tune.

Disagree that his show was just a product of the era. There is nothing on sports radio now that even close in quality to what Russell was doing in the 1990s.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Russell's whole career goal was to be the next Jim Robson. When that didn't happen and he got passed over for Hughson and then for Shorthouse, he just completely lost the plot and turned into a bitter old man with zero self-awareness. And blamed the team. He was negative when it was correct to be negative from 1996-99 but it was in 1999 that Shorthouse came in while the team was getting sorted out and that's when he went totally out of tune.

Disagree that his show was just a product of the era. There is nothing on sports radio now that even close in quality to what Russell was doing in the 1990s.

I clearly never said his show was "just a product of the era". That was not in any way my assertion. I said he was well suited to the era. There is a difference. He would not do as well in the louder, faster era we are currently in.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Don Taylor,Paul Carson,Barry McDonald,and Chris Hebb on sportspage around 1984-85 ruled the local sports airwaves
Ah yes....CKVU Sportspage in the 80's.....like the Cars, U-2 and Dire Straits and all those music icons, a decade that sadly will never come again.

Reactions: I am toxic

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
didnt team1040 used to broadcast live on tv simultaneously on sportsnet a few years back. weather it was don taylor with pratt. price with sekeres or bmac with whomever? what happended to it.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
didnt team1040 used to broadcast live on tv simultaneously on sportsnet a few years back. weather it was don taylor with pratt. price with sekeres or bmac with whomever? what happended to it.
I know pratt and taylor did that for a while. Their initial show they both wore sunglasses like that bob mccown in toronto and apparently got a rise out of him.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017

Dan at one time grew a protect beard when he didn't get the play by play gig. There was column in the Sun about it, I think by Beamish or McMartin.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Andrew Walker still has a job when Dhaliwal is cut I'm never listening to a second of Sportsnet 650 again, and I already regret having done so in the past

Actually the Walker/Rentool show is the best one in the Canucks market right now as they seem to have chemistry and interesting takes and the right balance of sports and entertainment...mind you the bar in Vancouver isn't very high right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad