Speculation: Vancouver offer for Subban

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
This is going to be the next Lecavalier to Montréal mythological what-could-have-happened trade, isn't it?

In a year or two we'll probably learn Boeser was somehow involved.

Were we not offering Price, Higgins, Subban and Pacioretty for Lecavalier?

Or something like that

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If it's true (Friedman discussed about it : How PK Subban was almost traded from Canadiens to Canucks in 2016). Bergevin had the chance to trade PK Subban at the 2016 Entry Draft for Bo Horvat, Chris Tanev and the 5th overall pick. If it's really true he NEEDS to leave right now!

Imagine the Montreal Canadians right now with:

Horvat
Tanev
5th pick : Tkachuk, Keller or Sergachev
9th pick : McAvoy

Nowhere in the article it says that...

It only says Bergevin wanted Dubois.
The other pieces are pure speculation.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Was Horvat and/or Tanev ever confirmed? Only thing I remember hearing was that if Dubois had dropped to 5th, Subban would have been a Canuck.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
It still seems like more of a lateral move than anything. Tanev's nothing to get excited about; he's certainly no Subban replacement. Horvat's good and young, but Subban is vastly superior. The extra first rounder is great, but why trade Subban at all when Price is in the same age window?

Better than Weber as a return? Yeah, I guess. Still not good enough for trading Subban.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Was Horvat and/or Tanev ever confirmed? Only thing I remember hearing was that if Dubois had dropped to 5th, Subban would have been a Canuck.

Which is mindbogglingly stupid in and of itself, no need to add the extra speculations.

lauzon19

Sep 25, 2016
Gatineau, Qc
Bergevin destroyed the team at this draft. The Andrew Shaw trade was awful!! With his two 2nd round picks we could have Debrincat and Girard too in our team.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
IMO, if the deal is somehow real
It would've been

Horvat + Tanev + 5th overall For
Subban + 9th overall.
I feel like this one was the correct one. At least, it's the one I've heard more often from the Vancouver side. That one and the one from the Edmonton side (Draisaitl + Nurse/Klefbom + 4th) which if you believe the rumours as well, was immediately rescinded by Edmonton once Puljujarvi was there at 4th.

Regardless, there was no reason to do a one-for-one for a lesser player. It should have been a package from the very start of younger pieces.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The important part here is that the decision to trade a superstar defenseman hinged on the possibility of drafting PLD. That alone says enough about Bergevin's judgement.

He was an idiot if he was actually shopping Subban to avoid the NMC or Subban was bigger than the team. One way or another, we need to learn to let players be who they are. Galchenyuk is the next example. Maybe Drouin.

As far as the trade, I would of preferred a better return than a lateral move. I think Weber is still a fringe top 10 NHL defenseman and will be a valuable piece for us but WHY? Why make that trade?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He was an idiot if he was actually shopping Subban to avoid the NMC or Subban was bigger than the team. One way or another, we need to learn to let players be who they are. Galchenyuk is the next example. Maybe Drouin.

As far as the trade, I would of preferred a better return than a lateral move. I think Weber is still a fringe top 10 NHL defenseman and will be a valuable piece for us but WHY? Why make that trade?

Why trade Subban at all is a better question.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Still should have happened. That is a good trade. The one he ended doing was really bad.

I don't think the trade he made was bad, I think it was a lateral trade that he should not of made. Call me sensitive but I don't like throwing Weber or Subban under the bus. As far as the trade without PLD, we could of ended up with... Horvat, Tanev, & Juolevi and then drafted Brown in the 9th spot. The variables are hard to predict.

In hindsight, the 2016 draft was crazy deep in the top 10 and a few other studs outside of the top 10. McAvoy was a steel at 15th but not sure anybody had him in the top 10.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why trade Subban at all is a better question.

We agree on this. I remember having an argument about the trade rumors before he was traded. I was sure it was just a rumor based on how bad our previous season was. Boy I was shocked on that day! I will never throw Weber under the bus because our GM traded Subban though. It was a lateral trade that was stupid and the reasons why we traded him in the first place is stupid!

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I don't think the trade he made was bad, I think it was a lateral trade that he should not of made. Call me sensitive but I don't like throwing Weber or Subban under the bus. As far as the trade without PLD, we could of ended up with... Horvat, Tanev, & Juolevi and then drafted Brown in the 9th spot. The variables are hard to predict.

In hindsight, the 2016 draft was crazy deep in the top 10 and a few other studs outside of the top 10. McAvoy was a steel at 15th but not sure anybody had him in the top 10.

It was not a lateral trade, it was a stupid trade. That is why it should not ever been made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->