Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So the Red Wings got granted permission to talk to Yzerman in March and held off on anything official until the end of Tampa’s season. Holland is also signed to a multi year extension as Senior VP along with reports he withdrew himself from consideration for the Oilers job I’m going to say he’s probably not a option. If he was indeed someone Aquilini wanted he would have needed to get the ball rolling earlier, or Holland possibly flat out said no ?

I’d guess if he does go elsewhere it won’t be for at least a year, so he can be around to help Yzerman transition similar to how he himself stayed around to aid Brisebois in Tampa Bay.

Holland is 63 right now, turning 64 late in the year. Who knows what he wants to do going forward. Does he wish to transition to the new role with Detroit to finish his career or does he yearn for a GM role somewhere else? And how long does he wish to continue to work for? Holland would turn 66 in 2021, when Seattle starts playing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why do people keep saying ownership needs to offer “stupid money” as if it should be an impediment? Only in recent years have established coaches’ salary ballooned. Executive salaries haven’t caught up. We aren’t talking about $20 million a year here. A few years ago I think the average was $1.5M to $2M a year. If it takes $4-6M a year to attract the guy you want over as opposed to $3M a year it’s stupid not to pay the price.

Reactions: m9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why do people keep saying ownership needs to offer “stupid money” as if it should be an impediment? Only in recent years have established coaches’ salary ballooned. Executive salaries haven’t caught up. We aren’t talking about $20 million a year here. A few years ago I think the average was $1.5M to $2M a year. If it takes $4-6M a year to attract the guy you want over as opposed to $3M a year it’s stupid not to pay the price.
Are you sure. Lou Lam is reported to have signed with Toronto for 6 years for $33 million back in 2015. Can see the experienced guys like that making $5-$6 million, just like the high priced coaches of Babcock, Q, AV, Trotz.

I would suspect Holland would command the $5-$6 million range.

Really, it's up to him to decide what he wants to do. If he really wants to be a GM there will be offers for him. If he prefers to wind it down, he can stay in Detroit.

How long does he wish to work for? Lou Lam is 75 for example. Does he want to see the rewards for his work before he retires? If he goes until he's 70, that gives the Seattle franchise like 4-5 seasons of actual play before he hits that mark, even though he would have spent an extra 2 years setting everything up. Or he could sign on with an existing team and see the results of his moves sooner.

I doubt money is going to change what he wants to do. It may change where he chooses to do what he wants to do. But, really, he has more than enough money at this point in his life. I think it comes down to challenges going forward.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hope it’s Francis. He seems smart honestly.

What mistakes did he make in Carolina? He basically built their current team that would be even better if Dundon didn’t make that Lindholm trade.

The only thing I can think of is the Darling contract.
Francis has an ownership stake with Carolina. He can’t work for another team until that changes.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Botchford spoke about this on the latest pat-cast. He said some GM's make less then a million, some apparently as low as 400k.

He speculated that Jim Benning makes about a million per. I imagine someone with a bit of experience and clout pulls in more and maybe someone like John Chayka is on the lower end.

They brought up a good point about GM's making less then coaches and how that effects a coaches input on roster moves etc.

Reactions: F A N

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Imagine having pretty much your entire d-core as 26 and younger.
they havent even added two of the top rookies in the AHL in Jake Bean and Martin Necas who both made the 2019 all rookie team.

I want that architect............. the one who believes in draft picks.
I havent even looked but Im guessing Carolina probably has more draft picks picks than Van this year.

Reactions: travis scott

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I just don't see how the Canucks get better unless they get rid of Benning (and Weisbrod).

Whatever POHO they bring in has to make that a top priority... and it shouldn't take several months for the decision to be made.

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not as big of a fan of Francis as some here are. I'm not a fan of the patient do nothing approach like what the Jets did and simply make your draft picks while making very little moves to improve your team. Look at Francis' track record. If it wasn't for some late round picks panning out the Canes would likely miss the playoffs again.

I think the Canucks are in a similar situation to when Gillis was first hired. I think this team has the building block in places and would require some bold moves when the time is right. A GM/President like Francis who seemingly is afraid to make the big moves will not help the Canucks win IMO.

Are you sure. Lou Lam is reported to have signed with Toronto for 6 years for $33 million back in 2015. Can see the experienced guys like that making $5-$6 million, just like the high priced coaches of Babcock, Q, AV, Trotz.

I would suspect Holland would command the $5-$6 million range.

I'm not sure. Reportedly, Lou either for 3 years as a GM but there might have been extra term for him to mover up to an advisory role.

Regardless, my point doesn't change. I think it's stupid not to sign the President/GM you want because he will cost $5-6M a year vs you want vs $2-3M for someone else.

member 290103

There’s been no rumblings of anything at all. Looks more and more like it’s another year of bad July 1 contracts, inflated sweetheart deals with existing deteriorating vets, and ugly trades.

At least we can be in the running for #1 overall again.

Reactions: Canucks LB

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
There’s been no rumblings of anything at all. Looks more and more like it’s another year of bad July 1 contracts, inflated sweetheart deals with existing deteriorating vets, and ugly trades.

I wish. We will be drafting 12th next year

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Imagine having pretty much your entire d-core as 26 and younger.
they havent even added two of the top rookies in the AHL in Jake Bean and Martin Necas who both made the 2019 all rookie team.

I want that architect............. the one who believes in draft picks.
I havent even looked but Im guessing Carolina probably has more draft picks picks than Van this year.
He also has to operate under a Value Village budget. Course if Elmer has the same obstacle, we wouldn't have the Louis E.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

My guess is they are waiting for Vegas to finish and will go hard after Kelly Mccrimon .

I'm sure they've also spoken to Kreuger Holland Lombardi

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I have absolutely no problem with going after Dean Lombardi. He did an excellent job of supplementing the Kings young core by adding players like Richards, Carter, Williams etc

Vancouver needs to accumulate a few more assets then have that aggressive approach.

Reactions: Josepho

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm not as big of a fan of Francis as some here are. I'm not a fan of the patient do nothing approach like what the Jets did and simply make your draft picks while making very little moves to improve your team. Look at Francis' track record. If it wasn't for some late round picks panning out the Canes would likely miss the playoffs again.

I think the Canucks are in a similar situation to when Gillis was first hired. I think this team has the building block in places and would require some bold moves when the time is right. A GM/President like Francis who seemingly is afraid to make the big moves will not help the Canucks win IMO.

Disagree. We do not yet have the building blocks. We are far, far away from contention.

We have 4 players who could conceivably form part of the next core. Stretch it to 5 with Stecher if you want. And that's assuming Hughes turns into a stud, which isn't a guarantee. Pretty much everyone else on the roster has marginal value, is eminently replaceable, or is useless deadweight.

Gillis knew he was walking into a team with prime Sedins (which he negotiated sweetheart contracts for), and a burgeoning Kesler, Edler, and Bieksa. In addition to a legitimate top-four Salo. He also had, y'know, a HOF goalie between the pipes. Then he immediately added two top-six forwards in Demitra and Sundin, and an effective 3rd line center in Wellwood.

The Canucks do not have the blueline ready to go for it yet. Stecher is solid, and I believe in Hughes, but there was a certified top-four already locked-in. With the chronically injured, aging, and declining Tanev/Edler combo, we do not.

We (obviously) don't have HOF calibre goaltending.

Bo/Petey/Boeser as of now are not of the same calibre of the Sedins and Kesler in Gillis' first season. The support pieces Benning has added up front are mostly trash, and I have zero faith in his ability to actually add any useful complementary pieces.

Outside of signing Panarin or Karlsson, there isn't anything the Canucks as an organization can do, besides draft and wait.

Reactions: Peter10 and vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->