Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He is from British Columbia, you just absolutely know that our ownership would give him an absolutely stupid amount of money and control(holland demands it for sure)

He would absolutely be our president.
I still think it’s not going to happen, but it would be an absolutely earthshaking move if he came here

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
He is from British Columbia, you just absolutely know that our ownership would give him an absolutely stupid amount of money and control(holland demands it for sure)

He would absolutely be our president.
I still think it’s not going to happen, but it would be an absolutely earthshaking move if he came here

If the money was right and he was given full control I could see him making the move. Something tells me though ownership is going to wait too long on Benning and the opportunity will pass.

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Seems like for Holland to work Aquilini will have to fire Benning and hire Holland as GM first, probably with the President role as well. Holland can still be team President in Detroit, if he moves it's likely because he still wants to be GM so he's not going to come here just to oversee Jim Benning doing the job.

member 290103

Guess it’s not impossible that we could still make a run at Holland, though I sorta doubt he’d be interested in us.

Sounds like Jim would have to go first - not sure that's the move Aqua wants to make. Why would Holland come to Vancouver to be a president, when he could just stay in an executive role in Detroit?

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks are going to be investigated for tampering if Holland gets hired.

It's the only logical reason he passed on Quinn Hughed and drafted Zadina at 6th instead.

Because Holland new how amazing Hughes is and that he will be President of Canucks 2 yrs later.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

It's the only logical reason he passed on Quinn Hughed and drafted Zadina at 6th instead.

Because Holland new how amazing Hughes is and that he will be President of Canucks 2 yrs later.

In a sea of dumb comments on this board this zadina one is pretty high up there

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
all signs are they've planned out an orderly succession here. which means holland sticks around at least a year to assist in the transition or else sits it out on the sidelines for a year as a resource to yzerman . holland knows all the staff and players in their system and all their history, and also why certain things are the way they are. if he jumps to another team then yzerman cannot get that history or his take and ask questions.

Reactions: m9

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well, like I said in the management thread a few days ago, the first domino has fallen. Now will be interesting to see what happens from here on out.

Detroit wasn't going to fire Ken Holland. I do think it's possible they would just let his contract run out, but they weren't going to fire him. That's probably what this new assignment is for him. I could see him hanging around Detroit for the season just as easily as I can see him moving on.

If Aquilini is really high on Holland, now is the time to bring him in. And with Aquilini reportedly unhappy with Benning, firing Benning to bring in Holland is the type of move they could easily sell to fans.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Well, like I said in the management thread a few days ago, the first domino has fallen. Now will be interesting to see what happens from here on out.

Detroit wasn't going to fire Ken Holland. I do think it's possible they would just let his contract run out, but they weren't going to fire him. That's probably what this new assignment is for him. I could see him hanging around Detroit for the season just as easily as I can see him moving on.

If Aquilini is really high on Holland, now is the time to bring him in. And with Aquilini reportedly unhappy with Benning, firing Benning to bring in Holland is the type of move they could easily sell to fans.

This is the outcome I expected in Detroit. Yzerman in, and Holland "moving up". That being said, I do think Holland will want to be the man in charge again.

I expect that the Canucks will give Benning the offseason and start of next season until they make a decision on bringing in a President and/or replacing Benning with a new GM, unless they have someone fall in their lap as an easy replacement. American Thanksgiving is the earliest I could see a change coming right now because there isn't anyone out there that is "available" that Aquilini would bring in as a replacement.

President options
Mike Gillis would be smart, but Aquilini isn't going to go back there.
Ron Francis is locked up in the ownership issues.
Dean Lombardi has said no twice.

GM options
Ralph Krueger I don't think fits what Aquilini is looking for, even though he should.
Ron Hextall would be too patient.
Kelly McCrimmon would be nice with a good AGM to handle the contract negotiations.
Mark Hunter is similar to McCrimmon.

Reactions: lindgren

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

You have to ask permission from Detroit to speak to him first. No tampering like that is allowed with people under contract.

Seattle or Edmonton for example can’t talk to Kelly McCrimmon unless they ask and receive permission from LV.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Sportsnet, Holland has already turned down the GM's position in Edmonton....but reports indicate that Seattle is still a possibility. So somebody must have talked to him already.

Would make a lot of sense for Holland to simply slot into Linden's position with total control over the entire hockey operations. But Aquilini would have to offer stupid money. But even at that, given the floundering position of this franchise it would be justifiable money.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Well if Holland is really coming here you'd have to think Detroit would not let him move until after the draft. They might even ask for compensation of some sort possibly. However would not be in Detroit's best interest to let him go until after the draft and possibly free agency as well.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So..we can finally put to rest the Yzerman for GM talk...Also,it was Holland that was instrumental in bringing Yzerman back to Detroit..he's taken on the vice Presidency of the Wings...They should work well together.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Mike Gillis honestly fits the President role so perfectly for Canucks.
Unknown.jpeg

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
So the Red Wings got granted permission to talk to Yzerman in March and held off on anything official until the end of Tampa’s season. Holland is also signed to a multi year extension as Senior VP along with reports he withdrew himself from consideration for the Oilers job I’m going to say he’s probably not a option. If he was indeed someone Aquilini wanted he would have needed to get the ball rolling earlier, or Holland possibly flat out said no ?

I’d guess if he does go elsewhere it won’t be for at least a year, so he can be around to help Yzerman transition similar to how he himself stayed around to aid Brisebois in Tampa Bay.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Don't see Holland coming here to be in a senior exec position when he's already doing so in Detroit. All aboard the Krueger train for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad