Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
From last night. Sat Shah - claimed earlier this week the Canucks where on the Hunt and Quickly for a new President of Hockey Operations. This person would come on board and decide if Benning is kept on for his 3rd year of his deal. Jason Botford has named names last night

The Athletties: Elias Pettersson's shot, the lesson from his...

1) Dean Lombardi

2) Ken Holland

3) Ron Francis

So here are the issues with all 3

1) Lombardi has turned them down 2 times at least. people think that is just a ploy to get the Canucks to give him more money:) Linden was making $3 million per year and most Presidents of Hockey operation with a resume like Lombardi make $4 million per year so would he say no if the family said . 5 years x $6 million

I think he would say yes rememeber the Family has build up a bad rep for themselves

Holland of course is tied to Detriot thru the 2019 / 2020 season but some people think it is a done deal already - ( myself included )

Francis - would be interested for sure. But he is a owner of the Hurricanes and is involved in a dispute with new hurricane owner Tom Dundon over his very small piece. He could not run any team until he gets bought out by Dundon.

so lets see what happens

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Don't know a lot about the Francis situation, but he's been getting some good buzz around what he did with the Canes the past couple years. At least he's actually got some extensive experience in the role.

The other two guys are pretty much known targets at this point. And I can't see anyone keeping Benning.

We should also be looking to bring in a progressive, younger AGM to mentor alongside one of these guys.

Last edited:

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Like mentioned in the OP they each seem to have their own obstacles, but any one of three, but any one of the three would be a solid option..

Lombardi - Committed to Philly and might be talking extension, but Botchford has been told the Canucks believe it's just a matter of how much $ is needed for him to come to Vancouver

Francis - He still has a share in the ownership of the Hurricanes until November. NYR is interested in him, but for that reason he's not a option for Glen Sather's replacement either.

Holland - More of a question if he'll be available assuming Yzerman truly does go to Detroit.

Last edited:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I have been hoping for Lombardi all along, so that would likely be my first choice. I mean Yzerman would be higher, but that's just a pipe dream.

I really hope it happens. We need someone who can properly build a successful NHL team. Benning just hasn't been up to the task.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
All three options are gross. More old boys club dinosaur hockey men.

I would like someone under the age of 50 who never played in the NHL.

I don't really care about the age of the GM or President so long as they're competent in their jobs. Not sure for the other two, but in recent years Holland has at least shown the ability to adjust/evolve as the state of his team composition changes.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Some early moves being made today with 2 teams firing their coaches. I was hoping we would fire Benning but no luck so far... Maybe if they get a new president of ops they will make the move then.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!...Well there's always Peter Chiarelli who worked with Jimbo before.....the ex Oiler GM who was tarred and feathered, and ridden out of Edmonchuck on the rails.

Now that would be the ultimate irony.....another ex-Oiler who leads his new team to a Stanley Cup at the expense of the vaunted Oilers, the City of ex-champions. You'd have to love it. The only danger is that he might bring Lucic with him.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
100 Million dollars.....muahahaha

:sarcasm:
Dr-Evil-300x195.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->