Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So here is the scoop... Dean Lombardi is under Contract with the Philadelphia Flyers. The Canucks have asked permission from the Flyers to speak with Lombardi. multiple times Each time the Flyers have said no. He is entering the last year of his deal with the Flyers. so the Canucks or anyone else can talk to him after the Flyers are knock out at the end of the 2019/2020. he may re sign with the Flyers and all of this is a mood point or he signs with another team. But Aquaman is not lying. he has not spoken with Lombardi face to face.

‘I’ve never spoken to Dean Lombardi’: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini

There is a difference in the Canucks speaking to Lombardi and being rebuffed multiple times by him and the Flyers rebuffing the Canucks’ request. That is where the reporting differs and consequently unclear. Of course from Aquilini’s perspective, the narrative that Lombardi turned down the Canucks multiple times would be seen as damaging to the Canucks’ brand.

Personally, unless Lombardi is paid very very well or is no longer interested in running a team, it is absolute stupidity for him to not have negotiated an out clause whereby another team looking for a GM or President of Hockey Operations can speak to him.

Between Holland, Francis, Lombardi, and Gillis, I rather have Gillis back although he is the only one without a Cup ring (Francis won as a player).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There is a difference in the Canucks speaking to Lombardi and being rebuffed multiple times by him and the Flyers rebuffing the Canucks’ request. That is where the reporting differs and consequently unclear. Of course from Aquilini’s perspective, the narrative that Lombardi turned down the Canucks multiple times would be seen as damaging to the Canucks’ brand.

Personally, unless Lombardi is paid very very well or is no longer interested in running a team, it is absolute stupidity for him to not have negotiated an out clause whereby another team looking for a GM or President of Hockey Operations can speak to him.

Between Holland, Francis, Lombardi, and Gillis, I rather have Gillis back although he is the only one without a Cup ring (Francis won as a player).

It's very bizarre that a team would deny permission for an executive to speak to another team like that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's very bizarre that a team would deny permission for an executive to speak to another team like that.
It’s one thing if it’s a younger executive who is on the way up and you see a future for that person in your organization. Like Jeff Gorton in NYR whom the rangers declined requests from other teams to interview for a GM role while Sather was in charge.

Lombardi is interesting given that Fletcher an experienced GM for the GM job so not as if the Flyers need Dean. That surprises me.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I still want Mike Gillis back. He would be the best candidate. He knows the city, he knows how to acquire the pieces needed to create a cup contending team, he's forward thinking, he's grown a lot in knowledge (even from his GM of the year days, which is a scary thought). I would be willing to hand him the keys to this team for 10 years.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Even if Lombardi is/was the best candidate for the job, there's no way he gets hired here now after that tweet.

On the other hand I also seem to remember Aquilini denying that they had talked to anybody else when they were letting go of Nonis only to almost immediately hire Gillis.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
On the other hand I also seem to remember Aquilini denying that they had talked to anybody else when they were letting go of Nonis only to almost immediately hire Gillis.
Or one can look at it as Fredo being a man of decisive action. No pondering a decision like Hamlet. He knew what he wanted and got it.:sarcasm:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It seems bizarre because it's extremely unlikely. Lombardi has the profile to decide what he wants to do. If the Flyers denied permission it was at Lombardi's request.
With his track record in SJ and LA he has the clout to turn down the Canucks and not have it be a negative for him. Not sure it makes sense for him to ask Philly to say no for him.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
With his track record in SJ and LA he has the clout to turn down the Canucks and not have it be a negative for him. Not sure it makes sense for him to ask Philly to say no for him.

It was a reported awhile back by Pierre LeBrun that in the time since he’s been fired as LA’s GM he has been approached by 4 teams including Ottawa. He’s also according to LeBrun committed to the Flyers org. and it was likely he’d be talking extension with Fletcher.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's not unheard of but that usually involves a team having plans for said staff member such as in the case of Jeff Gorton and John Stevens. Elliotte Friedman did report previously that the contract Lombardi signed had no outs which if true is curious in of itself.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Oh please mike Gillis will be awesome.

Did you catch Gillis' recent radio interview? He basically said the only opportunity he'd return to the NHL for would have to involve total independence from ownership and no interference in his job. That's like him telling the Aquilini's to screw off. The only way I could possibly imagine him coming back is if ownership could somehow convince him (contractually or otherwise) that they'd take a step back from hockey ops. I can't really see any of that happening.

Reactions: Hemty

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Lombardi is not the Joel Quenneville of executives.

He'd be a good candidate maybe, but if he's out of the running, meh.

I'd like to know more about where Ralph Krueger stands. Wonder if he announces something after the first round is over, with the Canucks or otherwise. Would be weird if he just left Southampton without something in the NHL lined up.

ccjon

Jul 12, 2011
Lombardi is not the Joel Quenneville of executives.

He'd be a good candidate maybe, but if he's out of the running, meh.

I'd like to know more about where Ralph Krueger stands. Wonder if he announces something after the first round is over, with the Canucks or otherwise. Would be weird if he just left Southampton without something in the NHL lined up.

Is Krueger the right person for the Canucks though? I suspect Ralph Krueger might be more inclined to chase big ticket free agents rather than go through a full rebuild. I don't follow the Premier League, but after reading this I'm not sure Krueger is the right fit.

Assessing the legacy left by Ralph Krueger’s Southampton chairmanship

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Reactions: ccjon and rypper

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Is Krueger the right person for the Canucks though? I suspect Ralph Krueger might be more inclined to chase big ticket free agents rather than go through a full rebuild. I don't follow the Premier League, but after reading this I'm not sure Krueger is the right fit.

Assessing the legacy left by Ralph Krueger’s Southampton chairmanship

I am not totally sure how I feel about him. The game has changed so much while he was with the Saints.

I want to start with a really smart exec and fill in the gaps where they exist. I want Gilman back as either President or GM. If there was a way to make it work with Ken Hollan, so much the better. We need an exec that can build out an organization and a coherent strategy. The 'hockey man' pieces can be hired after. Start with the brains first. More likely to hire good people around him.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Running a Premier League team is totally different than the NHL. Bottom teams don't get rewarded with high end draft picks, they get relegated. Rebuilding like the NHL isn't an option

Reactions: ccjon

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It sounds like Krueger is relatively highly regarded and could be pretty picky about where he lands. He's also already had a terrible time working for a gong-show organization in Edmonton. Why exactly would he come to Vancouver and do that whole rigmarole again with the Aquilinis?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It sounds like Krueger is relatively highly regarded and could be pretty picky about where he lands. He's also already had a terrible time working for a gong-show organization in Edmonton. Why exactly would he come to Vancouver and do that whole rigmarole again with the Aquilinis?
In Edmonton they relieved him of his job via Skype...a bit classless I think...No wonder he's done with them.

Why would anybody go through the whole rigmarole with the Aqualinis ?..Maybe they should just cut to the chase and pronounce the themselves as the new President.?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
a President of Hockey Ops doesn't run the day to day tasks of the team, they should be delegating the best people for those positions.

This is why I think Gillis would be the best, he can create the structure of the organization, hire the best people for those roles, and focus on improving the team outside of developing the players themselves. In the same manner, he employed sleep doctors, trainers, and nutritionists while he was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad