Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
From the reports, it sounds like the only reason Benning hasn't been fired is because ownership doesn't want to look like they're impatient. But I think, if they can bring in someone like Ken Holland that can be sold as someone who is a clear upgrade to the casual fans who only know certain names, and it would get over. Firing Benning to replace him with someone like Gilman or someone more unknown like a Bill Zito (or even Ralph Krueger) is a harder sell to the casual fan who doesn't know much about the game and thinks that Benning has done a good job the past 5 years while building the worst team in the past 4 while trying to make the playoffs because he's the first GM in NHL history to ever draft a good player high in the draft.

You just know things are ****ed up when optics matter more than doing what's right for this franchise. Bad times.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Random Tweet for sure. he is obviously bother by something. like Botchford today. He may no be lying he could be speaking to Lombardi thru his agent.

guess we can scratch out Lombardi from the list

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Even if Lombardi is/was the best candidate for the job, there's no way he gets hired here now after that tweet.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Haven’t Aquilini and Lombardi been on the board of governors together for a bunch of years? It’d be odd if they’ve never spoken.

Last edited:

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Curious why he comments weeks after the original report. Seems to me a case of misdirection- Aquilini is up to something

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
really feels Benning will be around for another year. Scary proposition. Don't know how Aqualini cant be comfortable in another 12-15 mil a year in bad contracts.

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
really feels Benning will be around for another year. Scary proposition. Don't know how Aqualini cant be comfortable in another 12-15 mil a year in bad contracts.
Sure hope Benning doesn't pull the Chiapet move of burning down the barn after the horses have left.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
He said the 10th overall was offered for Kesler, then Anaheim's GM said his only specific stipulation during the trade negotiations was that the 10th overall pick wasn't available for Kesler.

It’s believed at some point in the past five months the No. 10 overall pick was offered. Didn’t get that.

That's not really a firm reporting of a rumor though...

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
That's not really a firm reporting of a rumor though...
That isn't, no. He later reported a rumour during the negotiations the 10th overall pick was in play in real time, which turned out to be false. So there's an example. If it doesn't change your view, that's fine with me.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
That isn't, no. He later reported a rumour during the negotiations the 10th overall pick was in play in real time, which turned out to be false. So there's an example. If it doesn't change your view, that's fine with me.

The op said he's been making up a lot of rumors over the past few years, that I have a problem with. If what you're saying is true I agree he got that wrong.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
The op said he's been making up a lot of rumors over the past few years, that I have a problem with. If what you're saying is true I agree he got that wrong.
Well, he reported the rumours existed. He often reports this way. What's odd is that in almost every case no one else reports having heard the same rumour before he reported it, few or no reputable insiders repeat it, and no media outlet is willing to run it, and the rumour always happens to be something that is difficult or impossible to substantiate later.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
So here is the scoop... Dean Lombardi is under Contract with the Philadelphia Flyers. The Canucks have asked permission from the Flyers to speak with Lombardi. multiple times Each time the Flyers have said no. He is entering the last year of his deal with the Flyers. so the Canucks or anyone else can talk to him after the Flyers are knock out at the end of the 2019/2020. he may re sign with the Flyers and all of this is a mood point or he signs with another team. But Aquaman is not lying. he has not spoken with Lombardi face to face.

‘I’ve never spoken to Dean Lombardi’: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
so looks like the Canucks are playing the long game which means Jim Benning is in charge for the foreseeable future

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
So here is the scoop... Dean Lombardi is under Contract with the Philadelphia Flyers. The Canucks have asked permission from the Flyers to speak with Lombardi. multiple times Each time the Flyers have said no. He is entering the last year of his deal with the Flyers. so the Canucks or anyone else can talk to him after the Flyers are knock out at the end of the 2019/2020. he may re sign with the Flyers and all of this is a mood point or he signs with another team. But Aquaman is not lying. he has not spoken with Lombardi face to face.

‘I’ve never spoken to Dean Lombardi’: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini
Where are you hearing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->