Proposal: Vancouver - Florida

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Try Hoglander instead
Don’t think that would fly too well with Vancouver’s fan base.

He’s apart of the next wave of forward prospects for the Canucks.

I like the fact that even though he’s a small forward he doesn’t back down in the corners during puck battles and plays a smart 2-way game for being only 19 years old in the SHL.

His small base kinda makes him into a little stocky tank in the corners and on the walls and he usually ends up winning puck battles in the corners because of it.

He does need to build more strength, work on his skating a little more and shoot the puck more if he wants to be a full time player at the NHL level but he should develop nicely playing in one of the best leagues (SHL) in the world.

Kinda reminds me of a small version of Oskar Lindblom except Hoglander doesn’t have the same type of goal scoring prowess that Lindblom had at that age but that’s not to say Hoglander couldn’t develop that over time if he learns to get into scoring lanes and shoot the puck more.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don't know what's worse, The OP proposal or the OP actually defending this after everyone takes a moment to LOL

Reactions: McJedi

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I don't know what's worse, The OP proposal or the OP actually defending this after everyone takes a moment to LOL
Defending what just trying to have a decent conversation.

My mules don’t like being laughed at they get the crazy idea your laughing at them.
2305CF3C-09AA-4D81-90C9-4582EB13BDB2.gif

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Also like to apologize, I know it’s not your standard Toews retention trade to team x for half of team x’s roster players, half the team x prospects and 10 drafts picks video game style type of proposals or the 200 Michael Nylander proposals discussing the same thing over and over again so why not try something different.

There have been hockey trades made by GM’s that do involve cap dumps and draft picks to teams for said player in order to clear cap or to clear roster spots for emerging players it’s not unheard of unless your new to these boards or you actually like reading the same thing everyday.
Ive seen many other proposals with value that’s way more off then this original proposal that was made here today.

My bad how about a dumb idea like McDavid for Matthews that hasn’t been discussed enough that’s probably up your alley let’s not have a debate or even have a dicussion it might not be allowed according to you.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Baertschi is a cap dump. he would cost a 3rd just to dump.

this is awful value for florida. if they are taking on baertschi they would need a 1st and a good prospect in return

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Try Hoglander instead

Granted OP was in Vancouver's favor but when did Mackenzie freaking Weegar become Ray Bourque?
He has become the most overated player on these boards in a long time. The kid was like the 4th best player on his junior team,7th round draft pick. No Pedigree.No size. He's decent,maybe even good sometimes and can fight for his size but no way Florida gets what some people are proposing on these boards. Geezus.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Granted OP was in Vancouver's favor but when did Mackenzie freaking Weegar become Ray Bourque?
He has become the most overated player on these boards in a long time.
The kid was like the 4th best player on his junior team,7th round draft pick. No Pedigree.No size. He's decent,maybe even good sometimes and can fight for his size but no way Florida gets what some people are proposing on these boards. Geezus.

Exaggerated post is exaggerated

And about half the things you listed don't really matter.... who gives a hoot whether he was some star in junior or where he was drafted? Ever heard of terms like "late bloomer"? Even size matters less and less these days

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Op isn’t even a Canucks fan and there are ppl here getting upset and countering with childish nonsense like Horvat for Weegar

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Also like to apologize, I know it’s not your standard Toews retention trade to team x for half of team x’s roster players, half the team x prospects and 10 drafts picks video game style type of proposals or the 200 Michael Nylander proposals discussing the same thing over and over again so why not try something different.

There have been hockey trades made by GM’s that do involve cap dumps and draft picks to teams for said player in order to clear cap or to clear roster spots for emerging players it’s not unheard of unless your new to these boards or you actually like reading the same thing everyday.
Ive seen many other proposals with value that’s way more off then this original proposal that was made here today.

My bad how about a dumb idea like McDavid for Matthews that hasn’t been discussed enough that’s probably up your alley let’s not have a debate or even have a dicussion it might not be allowed according to you.

This wasn’t a debate. Literally nobody thinks this made sense for Florida and everyone has been clear. Go cry to someone else

Reactions: McJedi and crowi

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Both sides saying no to the proposal so its probably pretty accurate. Baertchi has had a rough ride in Vancity but is clearly a second liner, is a former 1st rounder on a reasonable contract. Could see Benning wanting to take out that 4th and have one coming back to us in this trade tho to properly balance it out
This is bs. No vancouver fan, even those who would strip for benning wouldn't say no.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
He has become the most overated player on these boards in a long time. The kid was like the 4th best player on his junior team,7th round draft pick. No Pedigree.No size. He's decent,maybe even good sometimes and can fight for his size but no way Florida gets what some people are proposing on these boards. Geezus.
I do like the "no pedigree" "no size" etc.

However if Hoglander is mentioned then RAY fing BOURQUE is mentioned as well.

Reactions: Mtler in Toronto

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
A) we aren’t proposing those things but we aren’t selling: if you want to buy someone who isn’t being sold, you pay a lot so likely if he is traded now it will be a lot (the earlier rumors were around when we might have been in on Schmidt)
B) Weegar is not being shopped despite reports earlier; TSN sources never noted an important fact: other teams were checking in on Florida
C) Weegar was like 24th for even strength points per 60, which is insane, and has developed consistently: his past pedigree doesn’t mean much. Florida likes him because he player well on the top pairing with Ekblad and took pressure of him. I’m not sure if you watched him much but he has been quite tood

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

No one is mad at you; I think there is criticism on the board. Florida fans are annoyed in general that fans without a clear idea of what Weegar is are proposing lopsided trades; take a look at the six dozen Dermott plus Kerfoot proposals

It’s fun to think through different trades and you should do it; just next time explore more both teams’ perspectives And valuation. I know a lot of my views for non Florida players are stale and often need to be updated :)

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
No one is mad at you; I think there is criticism on the board. Florida fans are annoyed in general that fans without a clear idea of what Weegar is are proposing lopsided trades; take a look at the six dozen Dermott plus Kerfoot proposals

It’s fun to think through different trades and you should do it; just next time explore more both teams’ perspectives And valuation. I know a lot of my views for non Florida players are stale and often need to be updated :)
I try to take into account cap space and team needs when making a proposal but missed on this one, maybe I undervalued Weegar due to him being RFA.
Also I’m wanted to state, I’m not a fan of either team so I’m coming from an unbiased POV when I made this proposal.

I look at other trades see what both rosters look like take into account team needs, look at reports, check out stats, remember certain games I’ve watched throughout the seasons, followed certain players especially the ones in the eastern conference since I live on the east coast and mix that altogether and make a proposal.

Others have stated Devin Toews brought in two 2nd round picks in 2021 and 2022 and praised Sakic, I thought it was a smart move by Sakic as well.

Was my proposal that far off in evaluation? I offered a 2nd and 4th in different years + Baertschi.
Maybe 4th was too low and could have been upgraded, maybe the Baertschi part killed this proposal, most fans see he was waived to the AHL and think, oh well he’s done stick a fork in him, without understanding how certain players end up being demoted in the first place.

In Baertschi‘s case it’s about salary and inconsistency in his game that made Vancouver’s GM displeased enough to send Baertschi to Utica. If Sven was making under 900k he’d still be in the NHL on the bottom 6 of a different team.

Comparing Devin Toews to Mackenzie Weegar might not be that far value wise but I believe at this time Toews is the better player, Weegar might have been on par with Toews if he wasn’t injured at two different junctions during the season.
Next season should be interesting watching Weegar and Toews.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I did not realize Weegar was a top pairing defenseman last season, I thought he was 2nd pairing at best.

You are right about Baertschi, he is not a top 6 forward in the NHL but could be a serviceable bottom 6 forward in the NHL still.

Baertschi was still putting up above decent numbers in the minors.

Florida‘s was shopping Weegar and believed they were also interested in acquiring picks.

The problem with Baertschi has always been that he refuses to do the things you want a bottom 6 player to do. He's flat out awful in his own end. Won't play along the boards. Does not hit. The idea that you can just slot in a failed top 6 guy into the bottom 6 is totally flawed.

He's also 28 now. He's not going to change his ways, and is pretty close to the age that players begin to decline.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I try to take into account cap space and team needs when making a proposal but missed on this one, maybe I undervalued Weegar due to him being RFA.
Also I’m wanted to state, I’m not a fan of either team so I’m coming from an unbiased POV when I made this proposal.

I look at other trades see what both rosters look like take into account team needs, look at reports, check out stats, remember certain games I’ve watched throughout the seasons, followed certain players especially the ones in the eastern conference since I live on the east coast and mix that altogether and make a proposal.

Others have stated Devin Toews brought in two 2nd round picks in 2021 and 2022 and praised Sakic, I thought it was a smart move by Sakic as well.

Was my proposal that far off in evaluation? I offered a 2nd and 4th in different years + Baertschi.
Maybe 4th was too low and could have been upgraded, maybe the Baertschi part killed this proposal, most fans see he was waived to the AHL and think, oh well he’s done stick a fork in him, without understanding how certain players end up being demoted in the first place.

In Baertschi‘s case it’s about salary and inconsistency in his game that made Vancouver’s GM displeased enough to send Baertschi to Utica. If Sven was making under 900k he’d still be in the NHL on the bottom 6 of a different team.

Comparing Devin Toews to Mackenzie Weegar might not be that far value wise but I believe at this time Toews is the better player, Weegar might have been on par with Toews if he wasn’t injured at two different junctions during the season.
Next season should be interesting watching Weegar and Toews.
Eh consider Florida’s need: Weegar has been a competent player in the top 2. Toews was traded to cap constraints Florida does not have. There is no need to downgrade the team for so so futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad