Proposal: Vancouver - Florida

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I did not realize Weegar was a top pairing defenseman last season, I thought he was 2nd pairing at best.

You are right about Baertschi, he is not a top 6 forward in the NHL but could be a serviceable bottom 6 forward in the NHL still.

Baertschi was still putting up above decent numbers in the minors.

Florida‘s was shopping Weegar and believed they were also interested in acquiring picks.
This is our 5-on-5 defence chart with Weegar on the ice last year, all while playing top pairing and on one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. He also had the highest % of dzone starts and 3rd highest icetime among our defencemen.

weegama94

He is a quality second pairing guy, just 26 years old and has great chemistry with Ekblad. If he was signed or wasn't arbitration-eligible, we wouldn't be hearing any of these trade talks IMO. There's also some concern re: him staying healthy which is likely complicating contract negotiations.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
That's terrible for Florida, 2nd/4th for Weegar probably isn't enough even without a medium cap dump in Baertschi. Despite rumors to the contrary, I think Weegar stays. He's a good defenseman on a team that needs such a thing

I'm also squarely in the camp that believes the Canucks need to hold on to their picks and continue to build a sustainable system of cheap talent & depth. Look at other options to clear cap space ~ apparently they may have a serious heart to heart w/Ferland about LTIRetirement, look at retention on guys like Sutter/Baertschi (even then they're still a tough sell imo), etc etc

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Florida would probably be interested in defensive prospects along with draft picks but I don’t believe Vancouver is willing to part with any of their defensive prospects at this time.
I don’t see Florida as a true contender for the cup in 20-21 as of now, only as a fringe playoff team hence the picks with one season of Baertschi.
Florida’s ownership obviously did not like the direction the team was heading in last season hence all the changes and I don’t believe they’re done making changes.
Florida is a team that can’t afford to lose for long stretches and for that reason they need to keep the cap low with picks or prospects coming in.

Except Florida will end up being close to 5 to the cap ceiling once/if Weegar is signed and the rookies come in. And they may be looking to add a winger via FA or trade, so they’re not as strapped as everyone likes to think (mostly because of some unsubstantiated clickbait rumor from a northern clown). Also, the Panthers are paying all their employees so far, unlike many other teams.

Weegar would be best played as a 2nd pairing guy but he did click with Ekblad on his off-side and didn't look out of place the majority of the time.

He may have been shopped but recent comments from Friedman have Weegar and management wanting to agree on a 3-4 year deal in FLA. His arb hearing is November 8th and I expect a deal, however long, to be finalized before that date.

This deal does nothing for FLA but weaken our defense.

where’d you see the Friedman quote?

Reactions: Vinman88

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Except Florida will end up being close to 5 to the cap ceiling once/if Weegar is signed and the rookies come in. And they may be looking to add a winger via FA or trade, so they’re not as strapped as everyone likes to think (mostly because of some unsubstantiated clickbait rumor from a northern clown). Also, the Panthers are paying all their employees so far, unlike many other teams.

where’d you see the Friedman quote?

My bad, still hungover.
Meant to say GR not Friedman.
He said it on hockey central the other day.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Both sides saying no to the proposal so its probably pretty accurate. Baertchi has had a rough ride in Vancity but is clearly a second liner, is a former 1st rounder on a reasonable contract. Could see Benning wanting to take out that 4th and have one coming back to us in this trade tho to properly balance it out

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Both sides saying no to the proposal so its probably pretty accurate. Baertchi has had a rough ride in Vancity but is clearly a second liner, is a former 1st rounder on a reasonable contract. Could see Benning wanting to take out that 4th and have one coming back to us in this trade tho to properly balance it out

What VAN fan would say no to the proposed deal?

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

Lol, what?

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...YCahcKEwiA9f2Av9DsAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAg&hl=en-CA

GR comes in at the 25:20 mark and talks about Weegar at the 28:30 mark.

hope they can get him re-signed.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008

Gotta disagree with you there, my friend

Baertschi is an injury-prone maybe top 9 fwd who's definitely overpaid in this financial climate. He's a negative value asset

Weegar is probably roughly comparable to the recently traded Devon Toews, who returned two second rounders.... (I would actually argue "Weegs" is the better player)

Value is light for Florida, not Vancouver. But.... jmo but Van needs to start keeping their picks, instead of always moving em out

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Vancouver trades Sven Baertschi a 2nd round pick in 2021 and a 4th round pick in 2022 to Florida for RFA Mackenzie Weegar.

:nucks Gets LD/RD RFA MacKenzie Weegar

:panthers Gets LW Sven Baertschi a 2021 2nd round pick and a 2022 4th round pick.

Is this a joke? Vancouver needs to add those picks just to move Sven. Sven is a negative value asset. Makes sense it would cost a 2nd to trade him. Add a 4th to take advantage of Vancouvers awful cap situation. 4th rounder have little value anyway.

So In that vein, this deal is Weager for nothing. Literally nothing. You’re saying the Panthers give Vancouver Weeger for NOTHING.

Does that make sense to you OP? Now you know how the rest of us feel reading this idea of yours. This should be locked.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Is this a joke? Vancouver needs to add those picks just to move Sven. Sven is a negative value asset. Makes sense it would cost a 2nd to trade him. Add a 4th to take advantage of Vancouvers awful cap situation. 4th rounder have little value anyway.

So In that vein, this deal is Weager for nothing. Literally nothing. You’re saying the Panthers give Vancouver Weeger for NOTHING.

Does that make sense to you OP? Now you know how the rest of us feel reading this idea of yours. This should be locked.
Draft picks aren’t worth anything now?

You also said Baertschi has negative value but that’s not true he only makes just over 3.3mil for 1 more season and was sent to the minors because he did not make Vancouver’s top 6 which he isn’t anymore but Sven Baertschi can still be a serviceable bottom 6 winger for any team looking for wingers.
Baertschi can still skate and still has playmaking ability he’s not a washed up player by any means as some think he may be.
The question around Baertschi was his inconsistency in his play which is why he lost his job on the top 6.

Weegar has things about him as well even though he played with Ekblad down the stretch doesn’t make him a 1st pairing defenseman also some question if Weegar can stay healthy for a full NHL season or is he made of glass his injury history doesn’t look all that well.

Florida’s defense struggled as a whole last season hence why changes were made and are in the process of still being made.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008

You also said Baertschi has negative value but that’s not true he only makes just over 3.3mil for 1 more season and was sent to the minors because he did not make Vancouver’s top 6 which he isn’t anymore but Sven Baertschi can still be a serviceable bottom 6 winger for any team looking for wingers.
Baertschi can still skate and still has playmaking ability he’s not a washed up player by any means as some think he may be.
The question around Baertschi was his inconsistency in his play which is why he lost his job on the top 6.

Weegar has things about him as well even though he played with Ekblad down the stretch doesn’t make him a 1st pairing defenseman also some question if Weegar can stay healthy for a full NHL season or is he made of glass his injury history doesn’t look all that well.

Florida’s defense struggled as a whole last season hence why changes were made and are in the process of still being made.

Even at 50%, Baertschi probably has no value. When tweeners like Leivo and Simon are getting sub $1M contracts, why give up assets for a more expensive Baertschi?

Baertschi has injury concerns of his own, is not an ideal fit in the bottom six and is soft. He went unclaimed on waivers at least twice last year.

This is not an attractive asset, sorry

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Sven has similar value to Bjugstad imo. He went for a conditional 7th to MIN from PIT at 50% retention of a $4mil cap hit. Both have missed time and haven't played a full season in the last 2 years.

The cost of Weegar alone is likely a 2nd + prospect or another 2nd/3rd round pick.
Weegar likely comes in around that $3.37 mil cap hit of Sven so you're way off on value here. Sven is owed $2.4 mil in actual salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Sven has similar value to Bjugstad imo. He went for a conditional 7th to MIN from PIT at 50% retention of a $4mil cap hit. Both have missed time and haven't played a full season in the last 2 years.

The cost of Weegar alone is likely a 2nd + prospect or another 2nd/3rd round pick.
Weegar likely comes in around that $3.37 mil cap hit of Sven so you're way off on value here. Sven is owed $2.4 mil in actual salary.
Until Weegar is signed we kinda don’t know his value I would imagine he’d be around the 3mil mark for a defenseman that did have a good season and set career highs in goals and points for only playing in 45 games last season.

Both sides are having trouble coming to terms on a new deal, so I understand all the talk of moving Weegar from the reports I’ve heard. If I was Florida’s GM I’d keep Weegar if the terms of his new contract aren’t all that harsh, I believe Florida has learned their lesson from giving out long term contracts to young defensemen coming off good seasons only to turn around and see that defenseman not live up to that contract see Mike Matheson.

By the way that was a great deal getting Matheson off Florida’s books and defense. That guy was an anchor holding back Florida’s defense and No I’m not saying Weegar is like Matheson because they aren’t not alike.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...YCahcKEwiA9f2Av9DsAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAg&hl=en-CA

GR comes in at the 25:20 mark and talks about Weegar at the 28:30 mark.

Until Weegar is signed we kinda don’t know his value I would imagine he’d be around the 3mil mark for a defenseman that did have a good season and set career highs in goals and points for only playing in 45 games last season.

Both sides are having trouble coming to terms on a new deal, so I understand all the talk of moving Weegar from the reports I’ve heard. If I was Florida’s GM I’d keep Weegar if the terms of his new contract aren’t all that harsh, I believe Florida has learned their lesson from giving out long term contracts to young defensemen coming off good seasons only to turn around and see that defenseman not live up to that contract see Mike Matheson.

By the way that was a great deal getting Matheson off Florida’s books and defense. That guy was an anchor holding back Florida’s defense and No I’m not saying Weegar is like Matheson because they aren’t not alike.

Click the link above and listen to our beat writer, sounds like both sides will figure it out, both want a 3-4 year deal.

Reactions: RG3hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->