Vancouver (city) may be stuck with unexpected tab for celebrations

Kanata Senators

May 25, 2011
Ottawa
If it was the Senators, the Province would not only not pay for policing of existing parades and celebrations, but would make the Sens pay to build a new road to have the celebrations on...

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
That seems extreme. I'm guessing the package stores/groceries only because if liquor sales are cut off to bars, the minister would be the one being raged upon ... en masse...by the bar owners. And I wouldn't blame them.

No such thing in Canada. Liquor is not sold in grocery stores or WalMart type places.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Talk for your self buddy!

I can get my beer pretty much anywhere, and that includes the grocery store and convenience store. :cheers:

The red-headed step child Province is the exception. :sarcasm:

I can't believe they are cutting off alcohol sales....the only way this gets the desired result is if nobody knows they are going to do it. Now everyone will simply plan ahead.

I'm not really sure how you can tell a business it has to stop selling their product that they have a license to sell because there is a sporting event going on....even though you have sold your product during those same sporting events over 40 times a year and not had a problem.

If I were a bar I'd be selling anyway and deal with the fine on Thursday.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, in Nashville we can't buy wine or spirits in grocery stores but we can buy beer. We can't buy beer in the package stores. We can have all three in bars, as long as they have a liquor license. It isn't that way everywhere, though. Some places do have wine in the grocery stores. My question was more, was alcohol available in the bars even if you couldn't buy it elsewhere.

As for dealing with the fine, I agree completely. Merchants would make a lot more than the fine would entail. Here's to Civil Disobedience, Y'all!

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
The red-headed step child Province is the exception. :sarcasm:

I can't believe they are cutting off alcohol sales....the only way this gets the desired result is if nobody knows they are going to do it. Now everyone will simply plan ahead.

I'm not really sure how you can tell a business it has to stop selling their product that they have a license to sell because there is a sporting event going on....even though you have sold your product during those same sporting events over 40 times a year and not had a problem.

If I were a bar I'd be selling anyway and deal with the fine on Thursday.

They did the same thing during the IOlympics last year. Liquor stores were told to shut down by 7pm. Bars were still open, but it is easier to keep control of people crowded together in a bar rather than have them everywhere.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
in what Alberta Grocery store can you buy beer??

Airdrie and Canmore have little convenience/grocery store things where you can buy beer.

Used to pick up cases of boxer on my way back to cgy after long days. horrible, horrible beer...but cheap.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
1) I'm honestly not seeing the big deal about Vancouver being footed with the bill for a potential victory parade. Isn't that the way it always works? Last year, the city of Chicago itself went out and got donations from a few keys sponsors to cover the $200,000 tab:

http://chicagoist.com/2010/06/16/blackhawks_parade_cost_200000_cover.php#photo-1

Why should anyone else but Vancouver, the city where the celebration will be taking place, be expected to pay for it or to go out of their way to find sponsors? In a city like Vancouver, you'd think that the city would have no problem finding sponsors for it, so I don't see this as being an issue at all.

2) And you seriously can't buy booze in grocery stores in Canada? Uh... why?

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
Quebec and Alberta say Hi.

I'm in Alberta. I don't see Liquor in grocery stores or WalMart type places. Adjacent, separate building liquor stores exist, yes, but not in the same physical structure as grocery stores.

I didn't know you could buy it in other provinces grocery stores. Which other provinces?

Devils Mike*

1) I'm honestly not seeing the big deal about Vancouver being footed with the bill for a potential victory parade. Isn't that the way it always works? Last year, the city of Chicago itself went out and got donations from a few keys sponsors to cover the $200,000 tab:

http://chicagoist.com/2010/06/16/blackhawks_parade_cost_200000_cover.php#photo-1

Why should anyone else but Vancouver, the city where the celebration will be taking place, be expected to pay for it or to go out of their way to find sponsors? In a city like Vancouver, you'd think that the city would have no problem finding sponsors for it, so I don't see this as being an issue at all.

2) And you seriously can't buy booze in grocery stores in Canada? Uh... why?

Maybe they can't afford it in Canada? I don't think the Government really has that much money there.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Maybe they can't afford it in Canada? I don't think the Government really has that much money there.

Uh... did you read my post? Chicago was footed with the bill, but they didn't pay a dime because the city got sponsors to cover all of it. I don't see any reason why Vancouver couldn't do the same thing if they won the Stanley Cup. There's bound to be plenty of businesses there that would love to have their logo on the parade buses and/or on the podium where the team speaks.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Canada is less likely to spend money they don't have.

If any country would support a cup parade, it would be Canada.

I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying they're in a far better position, financially and in terms of cultural importance, to do it.

I'm glad they're not though. If Vancouver doesn't want the expenses of a Stanley Cup parade then either find sponsors to foot the bill or don't have one.

I think Vancouver will be well behaved if the Canucks win. However if they lose the place will be full of riots.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
If any country would support a cup parade, it would be Canada.

I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying they're in a far better position, financially and in terms of cultural importance, to do it.

I'm glad they're not though. If Vancouver doesn't want the expenses of a Stanley Cup parade then either find sponsors to foot the bill or don't have one.

I think Vancouver will be well behaved if the Canucks win. However if they lose the place will be full of riots.

Sure, I agree with this. But if a US city was 100million in debt they'd do it. If a Canadian city was 10million in debt they'd hesitate. US politicians never let debt get in the way of spending money.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Imagine if they lose. They'll have 200,000 people in streets going nuts. That will cost more than the parade. Either way, the city is screwed over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad