Vancouver Canucks youth movement in full swing

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Some minority fans will be having party.

I think you can like the Sedins and still be ready for a change. Don't get me wrong, it has been a pleasure to watch the Sedins and how unique they are and I totally respect what they have done..who they are...

but

I am looking forward to the end of the Sedin era in Vancouver. After 15 years of it I am ready for something new....some new young exciting first line players...and maybe this in between "retool" which is actually being mired in mediocrity, not really contending...will not end until the Sedins are gone and a real rebuild to compete for the cup again can begin

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Kings fan here, but I saw the title.

You'll know your "youth movement" is in FULL swing when the twins are traded for younger players.

This team is weird, though. The ownership does unhockey stuff. They made a goalie Captain, for example. Then they traded him. Expecting the Canucks to do the unsentimental thing with cherished heroes is overly optimistic. This ownership likes to go out on the ice after practice and buddy about with the guys. Etiquette followers Daniel and Henrik have endeared themselves so much that they could reasonably seek the Coach and GM chairs upon retirement.

Henrik's injury has left Daniel's footspeed quite exposed. He is often behind the play and is almost always last off in shift changes. The Canucks are seeking speed and have made some progress except on the top line. Two thirds of the top line are slower players.

Daniel's game has more of a shooting element with a different center and he can accept the drop pass from speedy puck carrying defensemen or whatever. The top line begins to resemble the unbalanced attack of the other lines, mirroring Vrbata and Burrows. With speed up the middle this line-up has some upside. I hope this is recognized by the team and they consider it carefully.

I wouldn't do anything rash, like keep salary but I'd seriously entertain offers for any older player in Vancouver. The counter arguments are stale as soon as one checks the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad